Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography prices

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

What is the going rate for a decent photographer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

depends on what you want from the photographer

and also what you class as a good photographer. thre are people who can take brilliant photos but don't have the social/people management skills and there are lots of photographers who take very average photos but are very friendly and good to work with. finding a combination of the two is pretty tough

average prices will be from €500 to €10,000, with €2000 - €3000 being a common range for a decent photographer with an album and prints included in the package

one thing to remember is that the photos and album you take away from the wedding will be the one material thing you get to keep for years afterwards. the flowers, the cake, the clothes are all over and done with in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

DotOrg wrote: »
    depends on what you want from the photographer

and also what you class as a good photographer. thre are people who can take brilliant photos but don't have the social/people management skills and there are lots of photographers who take very average photos but are very friendly and good to work with. finding a combination of the two is pretty tough

average prices will be from €500 to €10,000, with €2000 - €3000 being a common range for a decent photographer with an album and prints included in the package

one thing to remember is that the photos and album you take away from the wedding will be the one material thing you get to keep for years afterwards. the flowers, the cake, the clothes are all over and done with in a day

Thanks for the info there. I got a price off a photographer, €1,500, that includes album and 20 photo's of our choice from what is taken on the day. Maybe it's just me but 20 photo's just seems like nothing, I'm sure they would be beautiful...but...meh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

We were getting quotes around the 1500- 2000 mark.
    E-mailed the local camera club & within 24 hrs had a professional photographer who'd do it for 850.

Worth shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

stephen p wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but 20 photo's just seems like nothing, I'm sure they would be beautiful...but...meh? :confused:

that's the traditional way of doing wedding photography from the days of film. in that kind of case the photographer is making their money from the prints. that's his/her profit so they only give you 20 in the hope you buy more

with regard to the professional wedding photographer for €800. they may be professional photographer but no wedding photographer could afford to do €800 weddings full time. The costs associated with running a self-employed business where you often only get to work maybe 40 days a year don't allow for that cheap a price. one spends the other 320 days looking for clients and editing photos, designing albums, spending money marketing etc.

if you do go for a photographer for €800 ask them questions like: are you insured? what happens if you are sick on our wedding day? if you lose the photos what happens? do you bring backup equipment if something goes wrong in the middle of the ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DoubleL

Hi Stephen P, about 2500 is the norm really to include the brides house right up to the cutting of the cake. I would be wary of the 850 cost too, there is about 4 days photoshop work that generally has to be done to doctor the photos to their completed state, and i dont mean in an artificial way! We are using Jenny McCarthy ( www.photosbyjen.ie) she gives you all of your shots on a cd/dvd and then does up the album for you. She is great, sat us down and went through the process of the day and worked through the schedule of photos we would like taken so noone gets left out. Judging by her past work i would absolutely recommend!! Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Every photographer is different in their pricing as its based on the way they deliver the finished products ie photo paper, proofing online or again on paper, the type of album used and whether they include any (digital) album design., do they include a 2nd shooter etc etc. Some albums are 20 pages (ie 40 sides) and not necessary 20 pictures themselves so gain check or get clarification from the photographer.

DotOrg is right with regards to asking the questions but some photographers do and can make money at those prices but in my opinion only based on them having a full time job as well.

At the end of the day, what it comes down to is what you are prepared to spend. Good luck in your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

The key question really is what do you want out of it...

Not only shop around on price - you need to meet the photographers and look at their portfolios / websites.
    How do they work, alone - with assistant ( not for film/SD card change, but for lighting/reflector, etc)

Do you want classic wedding pics, or contemporary / reportage / do you care?

20 pics included is not a lot.

I wanted my official pics stand out from the hundreds of snaps taken by the guests.

I wanted them taken on film (plus good quality scans). Nothing beats a nice middleformat camera for posed shots. (unless its a 35 grand digital hasselblad :D )
    Also digital photography may turn into a numbers game, rather then skill. Any average photographer can take 500-600 images and has enough good shots to fill a wedding album. If you are good and shoot on film there will be less photos taken (higher cost), but the yield will be higher.. while an average guy with film might not fill your wedding album.

I was stunned by most shots we got... compared to the same scene taken by the other guests (film and digi cams).. a league on its own.

I've seen other ppls wedding albums - and to be honest some of the guests took better photos than the photographer for 1000€. I would have been disgusted if I have had that outcome.

for 2000 - 3000 you will get very good photographers with more than 20 pics in your leather album you will look at for many year to come - if that's what you are looking for.

Daz

Advertisement