Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marriage and papers

Options
  • 03-10-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hey all

my bf and i are planning to get married in ireland but we arent sure as to what exactly must be done.

here is the situation. my bf is irish so thats fine. the problem is me. im french. i was adopted by a french dad and an irish mom (who has a french passport).

what papers do i need? ive been to a few websites but they werent very helpful.

also my bf is catholic and im not baptised or anything. ive heard that its doesnt bother some priests. is that true?

thanks for ur help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lite sleepeR

Hi

I am Irish and catholic, my wife is english and Baptised in Church of England.

When we got married 6 years ago we had to write to the local Bishop and get Dispensation ( permission ) to get married in a Catholic Church. We had to promise that any children we had would be brought up as Catholics, This didnt bother my wife so it was fine.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi. My brother is getting married in Belgium next mont (he is Irish, she is Belgian) bith catholic so thats not a problem. For him, over there, he needed his birth cert (one from the last 6 month) with an "Apistole" (may be spelt wrong) on the back of it (this is an EU stamp) and he also needed his baptismal cert and a letter from our parish saying he has not being married before. I don't know if its different here but thats what he needed in Belgium.... Hope that helps. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seeshell wrote:
    my bf and i are planning to get married in ireland but we arent sure as to what exactly must be done.

Whither it's church or court house, 3 months notice must be given.
    If you have decided to get married in a church, then why not drop in and get all the details from the priest?
    I'm moving this to the Weddings & Marriage forum where you will get more answers.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Had same problem about 6 month ago - swmbo is irish, I'm non cathlic german.

Assuming you live here yes - go and talk to your local priest. He is the one and only authority that matters.

(in my case we had to involve three priests.. our local one - the one of the parish we got married and the priest that married us....)

And every single one told us different requirements.

But you local priest is filling in the papers! He is the one you need to provide all the paperwork to.

She needs Dispensation from Bishop to marry a non catholic.
    If you were baptised christian you would need letters of freedom from your previous parishes saying you are not married - but you can sign an affidavit that you are not married. (But its the priests decision whether to accept it, he may insist on those letters of freedom)
    As you are not baptised - ONLY the local priest can tell you what HE needs.

But it might be a bit of an issue for some..

Also you need to give three month notice to the state. (if its a civil ceremony its 6 month notice!) you need to inform the GRo office in the district you are getting married.

http://www.groireland.ie/getting_married.htm

daz

Advertisement