Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with best man speech

Options
  • 23-09-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I have a best mans speech coming up soon and looking for help.

Have a few ideas on how to introduce some things to the speech but a lot I'm struggling with.

I'm going with events that happened on the same date. Two things are soccers Bosman ruling came into force ( my mate is a big footie fan ), and Latvia banned gay marriages ( my mate is not gay )

Any ideas how I can work these events in to WILD applause ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Back to square one I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

robbieb wrote:
    Hi all,

Have a few ideas on how to introduce some things to the speech but a lot I'm struggling with.

I'm going with events that happened on the same date. Two things are soccers Bosman ruling came into force ( my mate is a big footie fan ), and Latvia banned gay marriages ( my mate is not gay )

Mate seriously , take another route...

50% of your audience will have no idea of the Bosman ruling and the other is just terrible .... take another route.

If you need help. feel free to PM me I have heard a good few turkeys and would hate to see anyone fall into them.

What your looking for is clean enough funny stories/jokes with clever twists.

Avoid

Previous girlfriends
    Sex - in direct reference
    Farts , Body hair , excrement of any sort
    Long winded stories
    Slagging of the bride (he is your target not her)

Do
    Speech should be 5 - 10 minutes
    Learnt of before hand
    If its your first run it by a friend you trust

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Zambia232 wrote:
    Mate seriously , take another route...

50% of your audience will have no idea of the Bosman ruling and the other is just terrible .... take another route.

If you need help. feel free to PM me I have heard a good few turkeys and would hate to see anyone fall into them.

What your looking for is clean enough funny stories/jokes with clever twists.

Avoid

Previous girlfriends
    Sex - in direct reference
    Farts , Body hair , excrement of any sort
    Long winded stories
    Slagging of the bride (he is your target not her)

Do
    Speech should be 5 - 10 minutes
    Learnt of before hand
    If its your first run it by a friend you trust

Best of luck

Excellent advice. I remember a wedding last year, and the best man made a joke that was a little off-colour (I didn't think it was too bad), but a few of the younger people laughed nervously, and everyone else sat there in disapproving and/or embarrassed silence. Jokes that seem funny on a stag night with the lads probably won't seem funny to many of the guests on the day itself.

If in doubt, buy a book or two on the subject (there are loads), and borrow a couple of stock best man jokes.

From wikipedia:

"In football (soccer), the Bosman ruling is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision that allows professional football players in the European Union (EU) to move freely to another club at the end of their term of contract with their present team."

Maybe it's just because I don't like soccer, but can't figure out how this could be worked into a joke. Something about the groom moving on after a few years? I wouldn't go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

robbieb wrote:
    Hi all,

You can do tricks, like:
    1. Check the groom's birthday and see what famous people he shares it with.
    Find a commonality between one of the famous people and him.
    2. Elaborate on how you know the person.
    3. Mention some of his admirable qualities.
    4. Discuss how he met his Bride.

It doesn't have to be hillarious.
    If you want I'll write you one for you for 50 euro, you can pay me my pay pal.
    PM me, and I'll ask some simple questions, how you know him, any of his stand characteristics etc and see what I can come up with.

Advertisement