Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most out of place/bizarre scene in a film

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

I'm a big fan of most of Roger Moore's Bond movies but I think out of place / bizarre scenes is one of the defining characteristics of his era:

• The Man With The Golden Gun: Bond grabbing handfuls of a sumo wrester's ass during a fight complete with a comical "wah-wah" from the brass in the score.
    • The Man With The Golden Gun again: Sheriff Pepper making a total idiot of himself in every scene in which he appears.
    • The Spy Who Loved Me: The theme to Laurence of Arabia playing while Bond is in the desert.
    • Moonraker: The infamous double taking pigeon as a hover-gondola (!) parades around San Marco
    • Moonraker again: Jaws suddenly and inexplicably falling in love with a pig-tailed Dolly the moment they meet complete with cliched Romeo and Juliet music.
    • For Your Eyes Only: Margaret Thatcher taking to a parrot on the phone and the end of an otherwise fairly serious movie.
    • Octopussy: The infamous Tarzan yell
    • A View To A Kill: A rather excellent and exciting score during a snow boarding action scene giving way to The Beach Boys' California Girls song. The song used is actually by a cover band and not The Beach Boys original so I love the idea that the producers were too cheap to pay for the rights to the original.

I was listening to a Bond podcast recently and they said that a lot of these feel like jokes that the filmmakers would put in just for themselves to give the crew a laugh but somehow made it into the final movie. Most of his movies are actually very good but just needed literally 30 seconds of additional editing to remove some of these sillier moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Just blander attempts at campish humour. All the Roger Moore bond films were full of this type a shight.

Who was the really fit blonde in the iceberg that converted to a submarine/passion wagon after it blew up a Helicopter just in time to save Bond's ass before the start of A View to a Kill ... I think?

den.... den de den ...den de den den... den de den den... denna denna .. meeting you with a view.. to a denna denna.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Well the kid's dad did dis him for not trying hard except in the playoffs

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Apocalypse Now, like all road movies, details protagonists going on a journey, the encounters they have and the characters they meet. I think the idea of the plantation interlude is to show that sanity and civility can exist in the midst of hell and war. (The planters treat all dead soldiers equally and bury from both sides.) It also provides a political statement of sorts, highlighting frustration at fading French imperial power and their determination not to be run out of Vietnam like they have from their other colonies. The episode might act as a sane foil to the rest of the madness going on but I think it enriches the film rather than being an unnecessary outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The scene in the middle of Mac And Me (terrible ET rip off) where a load of random characters start dancing in a MacDonalds for no obvious reason other than a spot of clumsy product placement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's not in the original film.

And for good reason too.

Redux was muck, stick to the original theatrical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It doesn't work though. Not even in the slightest. It halts the proceedings terribly in a film that many would consider over long in the first place, and Willard copping off with the French bird is even more of a leap into unnecessary territory. It's clear why Coppola cut nearly all of the extra scenes out of 'Apocalypse Now' in 1979. They added nothing but run time and the film is a better experience without them.

The only stuff that was worthy of adding in was some of the scenes with Kurtz at the end.

'Apocalypse Now Redux' was a really bizarre move by Coppola. But it was probably more motivated by money more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The rat at the end of The Departed, seemed a bit Lord Privy Seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Much as I love the movie, the bit in Lost Highway when the prison officers realise that the Bill Pullman character has transmogrified into the Balthazar Getty character during the night and just let him go. Cos like that'd really happen. "Well, the fella in the cell looks different to the fella that got sent down for brutally murdering his girlfriend, so we'll just have to release him immediately, without conducting any further investigations and put it down to some freaky **** happened right here."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Most movies that contain a director cameo could fit in here. Taranto in Django being one but the main one that got me thinking of this is the director of Road Trip adding a scene where he sucks the main actresses toes as she sleeps on a bus. I'm not sure if he's a perv or he was deliberately taking a dig at Tarantino.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Volleyball in Topgun.

Scene in Cruising (1980) where Al Pacino is being interrogated. Takes a very weird, unexpected turn not unlike the entrance of the gimp in Pulp Fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

probably bending the premise of the thread here, but...

The Butterfly Effect, any ending apart from the director's cut, there's probably four different endings, three are slight variations of the same ending, making it just some pointless story. The directors cut ending is what makes the whole film

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has to be the robot in Rocky IV.

The nightmare sequence from Herbie Rides Again, for a brief moment this cheesy Disney kids comedy turns into a horror movie.

Advertisement