Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

RFID tag reader?

2»

Comments

• Ok it would seem that Comreg has started issuing licenses for testing UWB equipment. If you're department has one you should be good to go in that direction, but i wouldn't advise it. RFID has been around a long time and theres a wealth of data out there.

• Thank you, I'll look in to it.

Do I really need three readers to locate the tag? I think I can do it with one? (RFID-Radar?) ?
    Although, do I really need to know it's position and not just that it is within the range of the reader. I just need to know that the tag is in a no-go area and calls are to be diverted, so maybe I don't need to know the exact location?

Well you need three values to determine position. You might get away with two readers and using some other property to determine the third variable, others would have more information on that. I hoesntly don't see how you can get anything bar distance from node using a single reader.

• Hey thanks, I discovered you can d it with one reader, using signal strength, angles etc. i will have to see how hard, and if there is software expense, for that.

• Interesting. You must post up how that works if you get it working. Personally I'd push for the software simulation of the routing rather then building complete position extrapolation hardware.

• Yeah, I'll post it up if I do it that way. If software is easier I woul hope to do it that way. That would be all matlab I take it.

• Advertisement

• not sure if they will let you stick with all mathlab, maybe to simulate, but if you are actually going to attempt to get things to work you'll have to code it up I assume.

As much as possible I'd get the thing spec'd and code written up front. You will get bogged down in getting things working and tracking down HW and SW bugs later but if you have things planned well up front you won't be losing valuable time for design when you are debgging.

It's all in the specification tbh, if you get that right and work out all your issues at a higher level before you get bogged down in the nitty gritty you are laughing.

Perhaps you could reduce the complexity straight off by agreeing location is simply within x of the rx'er showing the strongest signal strength. Getting this kind of thing specified up front could save you weeks and getting it in early is the way to go.

• Copacetic is bang on. Also limit it to one user up front. so you don't have the hassle of having to id different Tags.

• Ok, I'm going to buy a kit. I just need to find the best one.
    I'll want several readers and several active uhf tags.
    Time to find the best!
    Code up front, eek, dunno where to begin even.

• Ok, I'm going to buy a kit. I just need to find the best one.
    I'll want several readers and several active uhf tags.
    Time to find the best!
    Code up front, eek, dunno where to begin even.

well even a spec, some uml and a project plan would be a great start.
    all that stuff is going to be gold to you in the real world and should
    greatly impress the review board at the end of the project too if
    you show a professional approach from the start.

• Does anybody know if I can get a few active tags on their own?
    The reader/active tags eval kit is far too expensive and I am looking up
    feasibility/cost of developing your own reader by integrating ready made modules e.g. micro-processor, RFID read module, WLAN/Bluetooth module to form your own reader.
    I don't know how much that might cost or how hard it would be.

• Advertisement

• Do you mean you want actual RFID tags?

I can get you 2 types they are both used in film cartridges.

There is a Texas Instruments one and another unmarked one that we use.

pm me with a postal address and I'll send 'em out.

Advertisement