Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

dub7_2010 wrote: »
    The coffee was average and the place a dump.

Sorry but this I just dont agree with. I can see how the place may not be to everyones taste alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

..... but there are many better places in Dublin.

Please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK maybe you can get great coffee in Dublin and i just havent found the right place yet. I have been living in Dublin only 2 years and have had some good coffee but "real" coffee has only really taken off in Ireland in recent years.

I have lived in Spain many years and traveled to north and south America and many parts of Europe. I found the coffee in Spain and Italy very good but the best in general I believe is Portugal. Ive had many cups in Lisbon and have never been dissappointed.

Ive tried 3FE and wasnt impressed, maybe my expectations were too high after reading through this forum, so ill keep searching. I suppose i would go back but woulnd go out of my way to go there.

I can't speak for Spain or Italy but I agree with you on Portugal, I've always enjoyed the coffee there.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Please share.

If you take the décor into consideration, then yes, there are many nicer cafés in Dublin. The coffee in 3FE is excellent but there are several other places, which serve very good coffee in more pleasant surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This thread has jumped the shark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭dub7_2010

Please share.

as previously posted....La Corte

Yeah, as I said. Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Espresso guy

Had a great coffee in pepperpots in powerscourt centre, well presented, with a lovely slice of cake to compliment the coffee of course!!

Would highly recommend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

I had a quick look in the epicurean food hall the other day , and didn't see La Corte,

If I enter the food hall from liffey street , exactly where is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The_Joker. wrote: »
    I had a quick look in the epicurean food hall the other day , and didn't see La Corte,

If I enter the food hall from liffey street , exactly where is it? :confused:
    Entering from Liffey St, on your immediate left you have Burdocks, then Bagelfresh, then La Corte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

vanilla or caramel latte at cafe sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I must try this 3FE place, im never really on that side much,

I usually always go for small independant places.

Places I hate:
    Starbucks,
    Insomnia,
    Fixx.

Everywhere else floats on the average mark right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

I went to 3fe a while ago, enjoyed a really nice filter Coffee there. I did share a little grievance like someone else about 'the milk issue' that was brought up here recently. In fairness, Colin dealt with it admirably. Look forward to going back soon.

I also have enjoyed very nice Lattes delivered by Brock of Badger & Dodo in the Point Village Market..very nice also.

If anyone is looking for an unusual coffee experience I would highly recommend a visit to the Havana Cafe on Grafton St.(it's part of The Decent Cigar Emporium). I have been a cigar smoker for some years now and they have always served coffee but they have recently invested in a new machine and opened part of the shop as a coffee shop. They only serve cuban coffee, normally cubita i think, but if you like strong flavour coffee its worth a try.

Tried one of these today, was amazing. Nice guys working there and well priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6 graviton

Carlucchios do quite nice coffee too there on dawson street! The waiting staff outside are not the best and are quite ignorant but they do a nice coffee

graviton wrote: »
    Carlucchios do quite nice coffee too there on dawson street! The waiting staff outside are not the best and are quite ignorant but they do a nice coffee
    Yeah, that pretty much says it all about Carlucchios. If the food wasn't so good either, I'd never darken their door.

Finally got into 3FE, its great.

hardly on the side of the city though, so Havana Cafe for me on southside, 3FE on north

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Just lurking in here as I sip my morning coffee :D
    I'm shocked that the Bald Barrista only got a couple of mentions... it is far and away the BEST coffee in Dublin. I've been getting my coffee en route to work there for the past 3 years or so (ditched Java/Insomnia as soon as I tasted the BB stuff)
    I would literally crack up if I arrived some morning and it was closed or gone.:o Their coffee is now available on Dawson St. in a newish place called Fixx (named after their coffee blend). The owner of the original Bald Barrista is a New Zealander called Buzz (!) and he is just so passionate about it and will wax lyrical about coffee to you all day if you wanted. I'm no expert but I can defo taste a difference between this and all the other muck!!
    Anyway just thought I'd give it my thumbs up, esp as some people might be put off going in (it is at the front of a hostel but it's actually just a regular coffee shop after the back packers head off for the day.)

You can get your Fixx (pun intended) at a few spots around the city. The Dublin Coffee Company beside (and part of) The Dandelion across from the Luas terminus is a handy one for a quick caffine top-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Chuchu wrote: »
    The owner of the original Bald Barrista is a New Zealander called Buzz (!) and he is just so passionate about it and will wax lyrical about coffee to you all day if you wanted.

If you quiz him a little you would be amazed at how little he actually knows about coffee! Will tell you one thing one day and something completely the next. Never gives a straight answer and cant tell you anything about the source of Fixx beans!

I had fixx a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed at all....

maybe ill retry.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    I had fixx a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed at all....

maybe ill retry.

I'd agree on that - I've been a few times - almost no crema on an american and the hot water is too hot. Shame as the place is nice.

I think Insomnia on the other hand have a fairly consistently good americano - always a nice crema - roast date displayed, and staff that remember what you like. As far as chains go in Dublin I think they're well up there.

- barry

barryj wrote: »
    I think Insomnia on the other hand have a fairly consistently good americano - always a nice crema - roast date displayed, and staff that remember what you like. As far as chains go in Dublin I think they're well up there.
    It's amazing how tastes and perceptions differ. I would rather drink from the toilets in Insomnia than drink their coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

insomnia display roast dates :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'm fairly spoiled. I live near 3FE, which sorts me out for my Saturday coffee. I work near Milk + Honey which is my morning coffee. In the office there's a Gaggia bean-to-cup jobbie that is filled with Fixx beans and turns out OK espressos. I'm not a massive fan of Fixx coffee, but it's better than average and certainly appreciated as an office amenity. :)

If 3FE was on my way to work and open a little earlier I'd have a tough choice between it and M+H. The reason I know I'm spoiled is that on Sundays I have nowhere really near to get good coffee and usually end up being lazy and go to Insomnia. :(

My real challenge is on the Sundays where I get up early to go off to the wilds where Nescafe Gold Blend is considered the pinnacle of coffee excellence. :eek: Does anyone know of good (or even just decent) coffee available in the city centre before 0930 on a Sunday?

If 3FE was on my way to work and open a little earlier I'd have a tough choice between it and M+H.
    Yeah, they don't open til 10am now which is a shame. Means I have to skip them for my morning coffee, haven't been in in a while now because of it.
    Does anyone know of good (or even just decent) coffee available in the city centre before 0930 on a Sunday?
    Not that I know of, unfortunately. I work the odd Sunday, so I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

It's amazing how tastes and perceptions differ. I would rather drink from the toilets in Insomnia than drink their coffee.

I hadn't been to Insomnia for some time until the last few months as I didn't like their coffee - but recently I tried again and thought it pretty OK - I don't know whether they changed or I did, but I don't recall them having fresh roasted beans a few years back.

Strange this

The Fixx coffee i got from DC coffee company (beside dandelion) was nicer than the coffee i had in Fixx coffee house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I really wasn't impressed by The Bald Barista. Nothing tasted outstanding, it just tasted like generic coffee.

3FE is still my out and out favorite, with The Decent Cigar coming in second because it's on my walk into town. It's just a shame 3FE doesn't open as early these days - I often have to pop into the Epicurean instead.

Advertisement