Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Scools in Wexford town - Recommendations

Options
  • 28-08-2007 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I'll soon be thinking about sending my two to secondary, little bit away yet, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend good secondary schools in Wexford?
    I'd heared St Peters and Loreto are good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

About 15 mins outside wexford town is Bridgetown vocational college, a very good school which recently got a new gym and classrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I went to the CBS but wouldn't actually recommend it. Some great teachers (altho one or two of the ones I had are now retired) but a lot of really rubbish ones. From what I can gather St Peter's is a far better school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

personally speaking, i live around the corner from loreto and go to peters, some may see me as being biased, but i see these as the best boys and girls schools, just look at the recent exam results, peters has excellent facilites:huge gym,loadsa fields, comp room with 32 pc's, language lab, 4 full science labs etc and there is a new development planned which has been aprovedby the minister for education. Loreto on the otherhand also is very good, but an all girls school compared to the all boys of peters, there is not as good facilites there but they have a development that afaik is soon to start.

In relation to CBS v Peters, my next door neighbor is the vice principal of cbs,and his wife teaches there too, they made sure both their boys went to peters where they both achieved over 570points!! (570 and 580 i think)

any other questions, feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Excellent, thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Throwing this one out there again seeing that more people are posting to the Wexford thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I went to the loreto and thought it was pretty good. Most of my year got good results.

When I was there we weren't allowed down town at lunch and instead which I thought was a good idea. They also have a good range of clubs and activities and encourage people to use their own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Dinkie wrote: »
    I went to the loreto and thought it was pretty good. Most of my year got good results.

When I was there we weren't allowed down town at lunch and instead which I thought was a good idea. They also have a good range of clubs and activities and encourage people to use their own initiative.

Same in Peters, no town, which i think is fair enough, considering there is catering in school and you can get a huge plate of stuff for €4!! Its great!!

Also they recently started a €3.5million extension, which should make it one of the best public school sin the country in terms of facilities!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

CBS still have some great teachers ( a few come to mind ) but the two which i thought were truly outstanding are now retired. the rest are pretty awful.

but it must be said that the CBS in recent years has produced quite a few 500+ results.

i can't really comment on any other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guess who

CBS is seen as a school on the up, food provided in the GP room, Best availability of sports in the town, deals with problems pupils have in a very good way. As a parent I can't speak more highly of it,
    Why does school have to be all about points or how someone thought how good a teacher was donkies years ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

If y've boys send emto Ross, boardin in the Counsel instead, best School in Wexford by a mile, dont listen to these eejits who went to Peters, wouldnt know a thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

guess who wrote: »
    Why does school have to be all about points or how someone thought how good a teacher was donkies years ago?

because unfortunately, that is what it's all about now. once, you reach 3rd level, it's real!!

the teachers thing was just me remembering and keeping alive the lessons of those great teachers!

but yes, CBS is a good school!
    i've only heard by word of mouth who the new principal will be...and i wouldnt mind going back there just for him!!! he's tough but fair, and a sound guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Who is the new principal ? Went to the cbs myself and am wondering how it is holding up these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

Hi

Just wondering what people's thoughts on this these days? Eldest son is going into 5th class so just trying to plan ahead a bit by researching secondary schools.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

9 year old thread resurrected from the dead !

Advertisement