Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bonus & Tax

• 13-08-2007 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello,
    Im self employed with a limited company. Both myself and my wife are directors but im the only one with shares claiming a directors salary.

I have recently recieved an annual bonus from the firm I contract myself to and Im not sure what I should/could do with it to avoid paying as much tax as possible. If i leave it in the account I will be liable to corporation tax. Can I invest it in a pension or something else that would be tax free??
    All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Anyone?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Finneganjp wrote:
    Hello,
    Im self employed with a limited company. Both myself and my wife are directors but im the only one with shares claiming a directors salary.

I have recently recieved an annual bonus from the firm I contract myself to and Im not sure what I should/could do with it to avoid paying as much tax as possible. If i leave it in the account I will be liable to corporation tax. Can I invest it in a pension or something else that would be tax free??
    All suggestions welcome.

am a bit confused by the words in italics, but assuming u are a director in receipt of a diirectors salary, the bonus can be paid gross directly to ur pension fund by the company.

It seems from ur post that u are both a director in receipt of a salary and also self employed in receipt of income from the same company: tricky one from a Revenue perspective as it is a close company so the revenue may well decide that the self employed bit is a smoke screen for reducing your tax bill.
    see
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/foi/s16_2001/pt13.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mckers

Finneganjp

While you can put the whole bonus into a pension, this may not accomplish what you are looking for...i.e avoiding a tax liability in the current year.

There are specific rules on the tax deductibility of amounts paid by a company into a pension. Essentially, where exceptional payments are paid into a pension during a year, it is possible that you will only be able to claim tax relief for this over a number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

mckers wrote:
    Finneganjp

While you can put the whole bonus into a pension, this may not accomplish what you are looking for...i.e avoiding a tax liability in the current year.

There are specific rules on the tax deductibility of amounts paid by a company into a pension. Essentially, where exceptional payments are paid into a pension during a year, it is possible that you will only be able to claim tax relief for this over a number of years.

Good observation/comment by mckers

The detail is in chapter 4 at this link
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/press/pr_250707_pensions_manual.htm

OP: as u are in effect employer and employee you have the power to manage both the employee contributions and the employer contributions.

What is not clear to me is that when a payment that exceeds the revenue annual limit is made by the employer to the fund and it ends up being spread over say the 5 years as described in cht 4 of the above link, if it creates a tax liability for the employee.

My opinion is that it does not, but scuppers the opportunity to make any 'one' off contributions in the following years: u in effect fill your quota.

The key here from personal tax perspective is that if the bonus is paid to u as an employee, it will be taxed and any part of it u pay into the fund will be part of your contributions.

Advertisement