Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Brolly -v- Conor Mortimer

• 26-07-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Mayo fury at Brolly remarks
    25 July 2007

RTE pundit Joe Brolly has irked Mayo supporters by lambasting Conor Mortimer in the wake of the county’s All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Derry.

Writing in Gaelic Life magazine, the former Derry All-Ireland winner described 2006 All-Star Mortimer as being “no good anyway” and that Michael McGoldrick had put him “in his pocket and fed him on farts.”

The criticism has enraged football fans in the Western county with Mayo secretary Sean Feeney describing them as “way over the top”.

Feeney added: “Unless you’re controversial, they don’t want you on The Sunday Game. Sometimes you just wonder what depths people will descend to in order to become controversial and stir it up.

“Conor’s best way to answer Joe Brolly is to return to top form.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

MAYO ace Conor Mortimer has described scathing personal criticism from TV pundit and former Derry star Joe Brolly as "disrespectful."

Brolly lambasted Mortimer following Mayo's qualifier defeat against Derry in a 'Gaelic Life' magazine article.

Brolly said that 2006 All-Star Mortimer, who finished as his county's top championship scorer again this year, is "no good anyway" and that his Derry marker in the recent qualifier, Michael McGoldrick, had put him in his pocket "and fed him on farts."

Brolly's criticism has enraged football fans in Mayo and county board secretary Seán Feeney described the comments as "way over the top."

Mortimer, who scored 0-14 in three championship outings this summer, was made aware of Brolly's criticism by friends.

And he said: "It's disrespectful, especially coming from a so-called GAA person. But the only opinions that really matter to me are from people close to me and genuine Mayo football supporters. Joe Brolly's opinions don't register with me to be honest.

"I accept that he's there to do a job, but he hasn't annoyed me personally. Other people have commented on what he said to me and that's how I became aware of what he said."

DCU student Mortimer landed 0-6 against Galway in the Connacht SFC, 0-7 against Cavan in the qualifiers and a point in the Derry defeat.

And he vowed that Mayo will regroup and bounce back strongly from this year's disappointing campaign.

He added: "The break will do us good. We'll come back fresh again and we'll be contenders, with renewed enthusiasm."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Best response ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ah JB...I'd like to say more to be safe I shalln't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Brolly is a wally. Wouldn't be the first time he talked through his arse. Is he trying to be the Eamon Dunphy of the GAA or something.

Fair play to Mortimer, I especially like his "Joe Brolly's opinions don't register with me to be honest" jibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Think Brolly is great entertainment TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

im not gonna take sides here.........because i have a particular dislike for both people in this "argument"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Michael McGoldrick had put him “in his pocket and fed him on farts.”

What a strange thing to say. :D I actually like Brolly but this is probably the maddest thing I've ever heard. It might be a little ott but sure that's his opinion. Never really liked Mortimer myself either, although you can't argue with his scoring record.

Ah sure people like these high profile pundits and players will act like this at a certain time.I witnessed Mortimer getting denied entry into Barcode as he was p1ssed out of his brain but sure he is living the life of a student running amok on DCU campus what would you expect.

Brolly can tease and dislike Mortimer but why he does leaves me baffled.Did Brolly have Mayo in his football pool and get knocked down the pecking order?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

In fairness about 7 Mayo forwards were 'fed on farts' that day.

The ball in that day was all high ball and that doesn't suit Mortimer at all

People give out about Mortimer and tbh I have no great liking for him personally but he is at least one of the two best corner forwards in Mayo which means he deserves his place on the team.

As for Brolly he never really thinks about what he says and often contradicts himself enough though I don't think he means to be controversial

Why do some people on here dislike Mortimer?From what I saw of him,he is a messer,nothing worse than that.

The only thing I dislike about him is his tendency to disappear in games and play at junior club football standard in big important matches.Nothing personal in that but I'm perplexed.Can you shed some light Kevmy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

As a Donegal man, I despised Brolly before he ever went near journalism of any description. Since he has gone into the Sunday Game and apparently this Gaelic Life malarky, I don't believe I've seen a bigger bull****ter as an analyst on any station in any sport. I don't really have much of an opinion on Mortimer, but his response seems to show he's got a bit of class about him and not prepared to get into a row with that Derry gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Me thinks Brolly's outburst may have something to do with Mickey Moran getting sacked last year.
    I remember at some stage him raving how great Moran was and what he had done with Derry?

Mortimer can act like an eejit sometimes but he is a very good corner forward and point taker.

blackbelt wrote:
    Why do some people on here dislike Mortimer?From what I saw of him,he is a messer,nothing worse than that.

The only thing I dislike about him is his tendency to disappear in games and play at junior club football standard in big important matches.Nothing personal in that but I'm perplexed.Can you shed some light Kevmy?

He's a bit of a tit tbh. Got a big head on him, doesn't pass the ball except to the brother in club games, cruises around in the car half the day, doesn't do a tap of work.

Good footballer but I'm a bit frustrated with him cos he could be a great one.

If he had the brothers's temperment and determination he'd be a legend and we'd prob have Sam at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I wonder does brolly blow kisses to the news room every time he finishes an article?

I got the intention that he's a dosser in his spare time and a messer,a real jack the lad but he is very talented.I hear he only scored one point against Derry though?I did not see the Sunday Game in its entirety.Did he get much possession or did he nearly waste every opportunity that came his way in that game.

He's living up in DCU campus with a whole host of GAA players.I was laughing when I saw him being refused from Barcode.The bouncers made a meal out of him.

He got feck all ball in fairness. It was all high ball pumped in to Barry Moran. Conor didn't play great either but then few did for Mayo. He's not used to playing of a big man for club or county so that was a factor. Also Derry backs gave away very few kickable frees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I hope Dublin obliterate Derry. Shut Brolly up. At least ORourke has some humility and has been willing to admit that Dublin have some good in them. Brolly continues to slag them off

Please God Dublin 3-20 Derry 0-8

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brolly = clown

Advertisement