Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Congestion in Strandhill

Options
  • 20-07-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

The seafront in Stranhill has become a big attraction to people all over Sligo on any sort of a decent day. In the last few years, the front has become a no go area due to a bottleneck at the cannon and just too many cars all trying to park there. Several years back, the Co. Co. unveiled plans to build a road joining the front to the big car park and making it possible for traffic to do a loop, rather than trying to turn at the slipway and head back past the cannon, contributing to the problem. The flower boxs up the middle of the car park have stopped people putting a line of cars there, but, as happened me last week, a camper parked in a parking space made it barely passable in anything but a Smart Car.
    Surely this problem is overdue some sort of solution from the Co. Co.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The plans are still there but water treatment works are holding up the job.

There is a massive Car park on your left on the way down to the promenade and I would often use it instead. 1 minute walk to the beach from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

il gatto wrote:
    Surely this problem is overdue some sort of solution from the Co. Co.?
    Overdue? In my memory it's going on 15 years anyway. Can't see much of a solution coming any time soon tbh. As it stands, when there's a very busy day the road is closed at the entrance to the car park forcing people to use it or turn back.
    il gatto wrote:
    Several years back, the Co. Co. unveiled plans to build a road joining the front to the big car park and making it possible for traffic to do a loop
    I remember these plans all right, but can't see it happening at all now. IIRC, the option was to put a loop road going from where the Seaweed Baths are now up to the car park. It would've been Ideal, and added shop frontage close to the promenade, but with the Baths there now it won't happen. Gillie, I assume your reference to the water treatment plant was the other option of putting road through the Caravan park (effectively) and linking up to the airport road. Couldn't ever see that working tbh, and don't think it's on the cards.

The first solution would have been ideal. The bollards alongside the Strand are good, but you still get people parking one side and reducing traffic to outgoing/oncoming only. Daft. A row of bollards down the middle of the street might sort that well enough. Could cause trouble for emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sobriquet wrote:
    Gillie, I assume your reference to the water treatment plant was the other option of putting road through the Caravan park (effectively) and linking up to the airport road. Couldn't ever see that working tbh, and don't think it's on the cards.

There is another Development planned on the promenade. Demolition of existing buildings and construction of 2 and 3 storey buildings that face the sea. The developers were stopped because of this planned water treatment works. I was presuming that the road was delayed because of the same thing.

Advertisement