Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo are 2007 Connaught Champions!

Options
  • 08-07-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭

It wasn't the prettiest game ever but we did it!:D

Some outstanding individual performances there today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

go on the sligo-ans!
    delighted for you guys, this coming from a corkman living in .....GALWAY! ha ha
    good luck with your future endevours.
    Congrats also to Eamon O'Hara - a medal he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

From a neutral gaa follower (i'm a louth man ) , fair play to sligo for winning today,i was hoping ye could do it, a few good warriors on your team deserved it for the effort they have put in over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

At long last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'd say the craic was brilliant last nite.
    I couldn't make it into town but i'd say it was buzzin!

A lot of the media are delighted for Sligo too which is great! Always good to see the underdog do well!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

From Sligo, living in Galway. Time to pretend I care and rub it in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

a great win for ye, as a rossie at the match i was delighted to see ye pull it off. fully deserving with a very dedicated and hard working performance, totally white washed galway at the middle of the park. if ye could sort out yer shooting ye would be hard beat

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes indeed - well done. Its little things (or big things) like this that gives people that feel good factor.

You never know - maybe a north west derby in the offing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Well done to Sligo great to see ye winning after all these years!

The Weekender will be worth getting today I reckon! Nice to have in case its another 32 years! Hopefully not though. Hopeofully they've broken the curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Well done to Sligo.I must admit before the Connaught Championship even started,I thought Mayo and Galway were the only contenders and whoever won that match would go on to win it.

However,before this game started I got the feeling we could be looking at a sort of upset.Well the favourites were Galway.Sligo completely blitzed Galway and should have had at least 2 points added on to the winning score.Some scores in front of goal could have came back to haunt them and is an issue that needs to be addressed but f*** it Sligo and their fans should celebrate this victory.

Eamonn O Hara will now be in a strong position for an All-Star with that goal as he was the fulcrum for the Sligo victory.He should certainly be short-listed anyway.So Sligo are in the quarter finals.It will be interesting to see who they get.It could possibly be Donegal,Monaghan,Meath or even Mayo.

All the above should be very weary of Sligo now.Well done to Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Was a grreat day for Sligo , totally deserved victory :D you would nearly forget that we are in the All Ireland 1/4 finals now , Whoever we face will probably be fancying their chances against us but we have the self beleif now and I dont think we need to fear any of the counties we could face

The thing is there is no real pressure!
    The target was to win the Connaught Championship and they've done that.
    Anything after this is a bonus.

But hell why can't we go further!
    COME ON SLIGO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

I hear the town was dead after the game and, in contract to the likes of Ballymote and Tubber, no one turned up in town to welcome the team home either

They were due to arrive in at midnight so maybe everyone was gone home or drunk!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

From what I heard the town was mental craic and probably one of the best nights out. Pity I missed it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I heard the ruckus (yes... i said "ruckus") of the Sligo team arriving home from my apartment.

God forbid some of us have work first thing Monday morning.... yes, i'm a moody bastard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I believe the lads went to St. Mary's for a private bash. I heard they got a welcome, but most fans would stay in their local to celebrate that sort of thing. Sligo is not as GAA obcessed as Ballymote, Tubbercurry or Gurteen etc.
    They were still out on Tuesday night (some of them). I saw John McPartland, Ciaran Quinn, Adrian Marren and Tommy Brehony in the Strand. They were having a great time, singing "We Are The Champions" about five times while standing on the bar. I just shook their hands and congratulated them and then left them alone. I'm sure they're sick of eejits re-living every kick of the game.
    In the words of Alec Guinness "worth waiting for", but hopefully not as long next time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0qo7GaFM0

Thought ye might like to see the celebrations at 2.30am in Toffs Nightclub, Sligo!! Brilliant Night! Imagine we won the All Ireland

Quality!:D

And so we have the Mighty Cork in the Quarter Final!
    Bring em on!

Anyone going up to it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gillie wrote:
    And so we have the Mighty Cork in the Quarter Final!
    Bring em on!

Anyone going up to it?

Croke park is just around the corner from me (that corner is still a good 15 minute walk away though :D) so I might go.

Just decided to go myself.
    Never been to Croke Park so can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Out of Dublin for the weekend typical isn't it...

Want to see the best of croker get to a big hurling game nothing better cork v waterford replay is going to be class.

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Out of Dublin for the weekend typical isn't it...

Want to see the best of croker get to a big hurling game nothing better cork v waterford replay is going to be class.

Myself and the bhoys will have a beer in your honour!:D

Hope its not as bad/good as the drinks before the game in glasgow! Make sure nobody sticks Jesus on their shirt !!

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Hope its not as bad/good as the drinks before the game in glasgow! Make sure nobody sticks Jesus on their shirt !!

I wasn't there for that thank christ! (excuse the pun!)

Otherwise I woulda got "i'm with Stupid ->" on mine!

Thats right thought you were there but you weren't alright. Good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

go on the sligo-ans!
    delighted for you guys, this coming from a corkman living in .....GALWAY! ha ha
    good luck with your future endevours.
    Congrats also to Eamon O'Hara - a medal he deserves

i am not cheering for you this time guys.....

Understood!

• Advertisement
Advertisement