Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband steadily becoming even more terrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Here it is from the Liquidator on the ICE website, fingers crossed he gets a buyer.-
    http://www.icebroadband.com/dev/content/view/66/64/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

I was probably one of the few (In Meath not Limerick) that had stable service from Ice so this will be a real shame if they aren't bought out (I have no other alternative so I guess it will be back to dialup :rolleyes: ).

The funny thing is I wanted to upgrade to a more expensive plan for a long time but I could never get through to Sales or Customer Service. Kinda makes sense they would close if they can't even talk to you when you want to spend money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 deiced

due to ICE broadband running into trouble with the tax man I found myself cut off! nobody answering phone there and nobody explaining. I had to find out in the local media!!!!!

anyway I switched to permanet broadband and am very happy with the service they provide.

anyone else need a connection from them can check the coverage map on their website @ http://www.permanet.ie/pages/map.html

or order at their website here http://www.permanet.ie/

1st Floor Collins Print Building,
    Kilbarry Business Park
    Dublin Hill,
    Cork.

Phone:

021-2364650

or

Locall 1890-818 599

JasonR16 wrote: »
    I was probably one of the few (In Meath not Limerick) that had stable service from Ice so this will be a real shame if they aren't bought out (I have no other alternative so I guess it will be back to dialup :rolleyes: ).

The funny thing is I wanted to upgrade to a more expensive plan for a long time but I could never get through to Sales or Customer Service. Kinda makes sense they would close if they can't even talk to you when you want to spend money.

Actually not far from the Meath border, on the DUblin side and have had almost consistently good coverage for last 2 years. With them 4 years and had a blip for about 6 months. Hope they get a buyer for them.;)

Sellphone wrote: »
    Hope they get a buyer for them.;)

I have to think some existing company sees the value in a few thousand (?) already set up customers, especially given the hardware involved and already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I left them a voicemail asking them whats going on now my service is back - I dont know for how long but happy days :-)

JasonR16 wrote: »
    I have to think some existing company sees the value in a few thousand (?) already set up customers, especially given the hardware involved and already in place.

Exactly, their network is the only real asset for sale, "goodwill" is non-existent.Also, hopefully they will keep some of the staff on. One lad I remember who was very helpful was a guy called "Jack"? sounded Asian and he was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

I'm in Ratoath and never had a problem with them (besides the outages last year, but I received text messages with updates and they credited my account for these outages). I've been with Ice for years and now disappointed that they're gone.

Anyone know of other wireless providers to Ratoath? I don't want to have to get in a phone line just for internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

I'm also Ratoath but have been told my phone line is not broadband able.

I have started using a 3G mobile dongle, happens to be vodafone.

Its not as good, video skype locks up every now and then but its the best alternative I could find - in fact the only alternative.

Let me know if you find any other way,

Cheers,

Metal

Ruhan/Metalscrubber -

I'm trying to get people to register interest for Imagine WiMax in our area (Longwood) so there is a replacement for ICE. (Same technology, but with customer service and better packages)

Sounds like we are in the same situation where we will have no broadband (I don't count Three as it is not suitable).

Maybe it will work for Ratoath as well?

http://www.imagine.ie/

You can see the whole post I did for Longwood here (Don't want to spam and keep posting it)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65543176#post65543176

Good Luck and I Hope you get something to replace ICE!

• Advertisement

Thanks Jason. Tried calling Imagine there but was on hold for a bit. Put down my interest via the website though.

Ruhan wrote: »
    Thanks Jason. Tried calling Imagine there but was on hold for a bit. Put down my interest via the website though.
    No problem...I wasn't sure about the website as for me it returned an error email (But maybe it registers the interest and its just the email that isn't formatted correctly.

It looks like I'm going to have to go with eircom to get the phone line installed and use one of their bundled broadband packages. They're offering free line installation at the moment.

Anyone have any further news on Ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

mrplop wrote: »

That was a few weeks ago...Hopefully there is an update soon on if anyone fills their shoes in areas where that was the only option.

Without starting a new thread, can anyone advise of the eircom service in Ratoath. I read a post (Metalscrubber) who advised he couldn't get DSL on his line? I will be going with having the line installed and then a 3mb or 7mb package. However after reading some horror stories on here about eircom and their connectivity issues, I'm not sure about getting the line in, but it appears to be my only real option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

New threads are free. eircom dsl is nothing to do with Ice (Fixed Wireless ISP, now going out of business).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

anyone any more news on ice, mine is still working well, dont know whether to sign up with vodafone or not before their offer ends???

anyone any more news on ice, mine is still working well, dont know whether to sign up with vodafone or not before their offer ends???
    Same here,has been consistently good for last 3 months. ICE liquidator has a notice on their web site for a good few weeks now, but no updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Interesting...

I wonder are price increases on their way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Was looking at ripplecom's website. it's 39.99 incl Vat for 3mb down and 1mb p. Don't know what Ice Broadband charged. sry

currently we are charged 37.99 for the same service i.e. 3 MB down and 1 MB up..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

i phoned them today but they had no knowledge of it :confused:

phoned the ICE number or the Ripplecom number? It's on Ripplecom's website that ICE broadband is now part of their "family"...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

as far as i know the takeover has just gone through, it's gonna take a few weeks for everyone to be up to speed, at least its light at the end of the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I phoned yesterday and the woman I spoke with was aware of the takeover but it was only confirmed the day previous so they had no confirmed plans. It sounded like they had taken over similar companies before and said they would be contacting customer over the next 2-4 weeks. If you had or rather still have a working service with ICE they will do a mass change on the direct debits so it goes to ripplecom and not Ice.
    I mentioned service levels will need to be addressed and she said they would so fingers crossed an improved version of service will happen soon

if you search you will find no posts on ripplecom because they are new.

I had never heard of them but the Limerick Leader tells me:

Ripplecom was formed in late 2009 from the amalgamation of Amocom and Callidus/Omnitel. They are based in Raheen Industrial Estate, Limerick.

also on their site:
    Our aim is simple… to become Ireland’s leading Wireless Broadband Service provider. Ripplecom began trading in late 2009 following the merger of two Irish Wireless Internet Service Providers: Amocom and Callidus/Omnitel. It operates from its Headquarters in Raheen, Limerick, and has regional offices in Dublin and Cork.

So they are going to be better than Digiweb or Imagine?

I hope they have lots and lots of money then to replace most of their gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

watty wrote: »
    if you search you will find no posts on ripplecom because they are new.

I had never heard of them but the Limerick Leader tells me:

Ripplecom was formed in late 2009 from the amalgamation of Amocom and Callidus/Omnitel. They are based in Raheen Industrial Estate, Limerick.

also on their site:

So they are going to be better than Digiweb or Imagine?

I hope they have lots and lots of money then to replace most of their gear.

Ripplecom is made up of loads and loads of smaller isp located around the country, such as Torque, omnitel, calidus, amacom, etc, etc. Their base stations are mostly made up of 2.4Ghz wifi Access Points.
    I think these lads have more money than sense if they have just bought Ice.

• Advertisement

Also Ordinary WiFi switches from OFDM to Spread Spectrum CDMA at lower signal levels.

It's poor too on scheduling when more than 5 users connected.
    It's half duplex.

Quality Fixed Wireless Broadband uses separate channels for Download and Upload and licensed spectrum.

When you are the 1st few customers in a new area it will be better than 3G/HSPA mobile. But I hate to say it, but under load the Mobile network is probably better than WiFi. WiFi is designed for indoor use < 100m with less than 6 people, not for Urban Mesh networks, Rural WAN etc. It basically degrades to Wireless Dialup. A couple of years ago a whole bunch of WiFi hotspots in London tested. Only one was good enough for VOIP.

However if they have the money to upgrade to FIXED WiMax or other similar fixed Wireless gear then customers could get a decent service.

There is plenty of local expertise to advise them too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement