Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - €134.46 [Expansys.ie]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Just ordered this little beauty with additional 1GB memory card today! great deal - €137 the lot , a lot more expensive these are anywhere even on ebay!

It will be ideal as an e book viewer or to get access to web when at home especially at night in the old leaba without the awkwardness of the laptop!!!

Thumbs up for the alert!!!:)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

I hadn't seen the bundle off with the 1Gb card that a previous poster mentioned, so I emailed Expansys last night.

I also asked if they are actually getting the tablets in.

Arrived in work this morning to find 2 emails - one saying that the tablets will be back in stock on 20th July (we'll see) and the other to say that they have added the 1Gb card to my order for the additional €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what sort of PDA features this fella has?

I would ideally like something that i could type up a few notes on when coming from meetings ect.... is there any sort of word processor apps on it?

How do you order it with the 1GB memory card?? every time i click on bundles it doesn't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Kane wrote:
    Cheers for the heads up - I ordered one at the weekend.

This looks like a better deal - Nokia 770 + 1GB RS-MMC Card for 4Euro more:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=142406

But it says : "Availability: Ordered on request"

This is the link for MMC Card as well as shown by previous poster!!

If you read the Mobileburn review, in the link from the OP, it will tell you what the unit can/can't do.

There are lots of free 3rd party linux applications available, including PIM functions to make it PDA like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just wondering what sort of PDA features this fella has?

I would ideally like something that i could type up a few notes on when coming from meetings ect.... is there any sort of word processor apps on it?
    Here's a list of the key features:

* Key Applications
    o Web Browser (Opera 8) with Flash player
    o Internet calling
    o Instant Messaging
    o Email Client
    o Internet Radio
    o RSS Feed Reader

* Media, Utilities and Games
    o Audio/Video player
    o Image viewer
    o PDF viewer
    o Application manager
    o File Manager
    o Clock
    o Search
    o Calculator
    o Notes and Sketch
    o Games (Chess, Mahjong, Marbles)

I think the main features are the internet browsing abilities rather than any PDA style apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ice27 wrote:
    This is the link for MMC Card as well as shown by previous poster!!

Sorry missed the link.... :o

just ordered one, looks quite nice... thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Ordered mine from expansys, don't need it in any hurry and that memory card deal is great. 137.46 all together, will get it by the end of the month. Woohoo! Gettin the LCARS themes as soon as I get it, looks the biz!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Lcars looks class... deffo gonna get one

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Does anyone know if this would be any good as a comic book reader? Is there any applications available that allow it to display .cbr or .cbz files?

• Advertisement

franman wrote:
    Does anyone know if this would be any good as a comic book reader? Is there any applications available that allow it to display .cbr or .cbz files?

Try have a read through here. It seems to be possible, though might not be straight forward. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

My experience of this crowd is that when anything comes online that seems good value, its never available, always 3 days ahead, then 3 days later its the bloody same, just searched now, what do I get
    Due Wednesday 25th July
    Ill bet there will be some positive comments, and why not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I hear you bogman. I have called twice and they have confirmed they are definitely coming in.
    I was told delivery dates of 14th 20th and 25th of this month. The last person even told me where I was on the delivery queue for the device.. not that that means much if they don't show obviously!
    We'll have to wait and see. You may be right, as thats the vibe I got initially, but the last person I spoke with seemed quite sure and I hope they will make good on that this time.
    If not, c'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

fdevine wrote:
    There is a new model out (the 800, I think), but the 770 had a OS update in 2006, which is available online.

Would be more than fine for checking your emails without getting out of bed....

Thinking about getting one anyway. Looking to use mine as a GPS unit.

Thanks OP.

EDIT: And the 700 is still selling on Nokia Webstore for €359!!!!

http://direct.nokia.com/Product.aspx?model=770

Navicore Personal 2007 is the best gps package at the moment I am using it

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Does Navicore have good maps for ireland? is it expensive?

Was just looking up Navicore stuff...

€138 for a downloaded file I think was the price for UK & Ireland.

I presume you need the Nokia GPS attachment thingie too.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4C9X&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=nokia+770&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

That is the package but I am using a BT-77 GPS, you can get llittle hacks to enabled or add various BT Profiles.

The Maps are Teleatlas and are "Ok" the software I am using is copied and not legit, but all in, the gps interface is good, the 770 is great for that purpose as the screen is large and clear

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

just ordered mine now, cheers op

@Flying - I was trying to send you a PM there, but can't get it through.

I have one of these tablets on order and am hoping to have it running as a GPS system for a holiday in France at the end of the month.

I have a quick question for you that can't be asked here, for obvious reasons. Would you mind trying to PM me? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

For what it's worth, I spent a bit of time looking at this a few years back and opted for a PSP instead. Has most of the Internet gadgets, if you can get it to work and also plays movies and games. Bit more pricey but does the job. Still tempted by the Nokia at that price though ...

markyboy wrote:
    For what it's worth, I spent a bit of time looking at this a few years back and opted for a PSP instead. Has most of the Internet gadgets, if you can get it to work and also plays movies and games. Bit more pricey but does the job. Still tempted by the Nokia at that price though ...

Trying to browse the internet on the PSP is awful though. A terrible experience really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The fact the Nokia has a touch screen n bluetooth puts it way ahead of the psp for net use etc. Being able to bring it out on the road n surf the net using my mobile as a modem is exactly what i want...

Lads methinks a little sub forum in one of the computer sections or even the open source section would be handy for this.

As we could share idea's, software (open source) and info on modding and tweaking them up.

Browsing the net on these is a dream, i've used the psp and man it is woeful.

I am currently trying to built a decent car cradle for mine since my old buddies in brodit have'nt made one and wont be :mad:

Flying wrote:
    Lads methinks a little sub forum in one of the computer sections or even the open source section would be handy for this.
    There is a thread on the 770 in Mobiles/PDAs which I *bumped* earlier this week. It not on the front page still but it's in there somewhere.

Might see how many actually get their units from expansys before starting a sub forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i was gonna get one but after thinkin a while about it i think im gonna pass it..
    like if u think about it u can get a pda for less money and more functions and the fact that has a linux os sounds nice but also means compatibility issues
    the design is so tempting though..

unklerosco wrote:
    The fact the Nokia has a touch screen n bluetooth puts it way ahead of the psp for net use etc. Being able to bring it out on the road n surf the net using my mobile as a modem is exactly what i want...

Only if your phone has DUN, which seemingly isn't as common as PAN, which the 770 doesn't support. I just hope I can get Bittorrent to work, with clearwire's bloody port shaping work is the only unrestricted network I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

@ Flying
    I am currently trying to built a decent car cradle for mine since my old buddies in brodit have'nt made one and wont be

Not sure if you were referring to PSP or Nokia 770. If Nokia 770, you could try the universal holder mentioned here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

erghhhhh.. i'm so tempted of ordering one... must justify if i'm buying one... already had a pc upgrade last week...

• Advertisement

GG66 wrote:
    @ Flying

Not sure if you were referring to PSP or Nokia 770. If Nokia 770, you could try the universal holder mentioned here

Sweet Thanks Dude, that looks the shot alright

Advertisement