Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Dragan wrote:
    The arresting office must have been Fedor. :D
    U dont have to be as good as Fedor to sub Randleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

British Medical Association the doctors trade union in the UK is calling for a ban on MMA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6978438.stm

Ok so its comin on UFC time again. Im gonna makke predictions for the 4 fights where I know BOTH fighters.

Dan Henderson vs Quinton Ramppage Jackson - Im gonna go ith Rampage on this one. On paper Id make Hendo favourite but the fact that Rampage's last 3 fights have been in a cage (1 in WEC and 2 in UFC) as well as the fact that he has looked to be much improved both in his cardio and his striking, Im gonna go with Rampage. Not countin out Henderson but "cage rust", his size and the fact that hes a bit sloppier on the feet than Rampage is why I made my decision. PLus the crowd wont phase Hamill like they would other fighters cos without bein a smartass, he cant hear them.

Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara - Hard to call. Sakara has lovely boxing but he falls apart mentally (see fight with McFedries) whil I presume most people have a minute of footage to work off for Alexander with his mauling of Jardine. Im gonna go with Alexander at the end of the first. Sakara to dominate the first 2-3 mins, gas and mentally crumble.

Crocop vs Cheick Kongo - Kongo is a decent Muay-Thai fighter but when he faced good fighters in Muay-Thai comp he didnt do well (got KO'd by Bonjasky) and Mirko has a had a great camp for this fight (Bonjasky, Yvel, Ricco Rodriguez, Dean Lister amongst others) plus Mirko is a better stand up fighter imo, along with the fact that Mirko is at his most dangerous coming off devastating losses Im goin for Mirko.

Michael Bisbing vs Matt Hamill - Im gonna go with Bisbing cos he has a more complete game but he may well spend a lot of the fight on his back since he's obviously the inferior wrestler. He's been training with Rampage is Big Bear so that might pay off.

Burnt wrote:
    British Medical Association the doctors trade union in the UK is calling for a ban on MMA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6978438.stm
    This kinda thing always raises its head when UFC is in UK. Ignorant people who dont know anything about the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

they should ban rugby and soccer too.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I read up on that a bit and their main concern is Mirko Crocop cos of how badlt he got KO'd in April. Theyre worries about the damage this fight could do to his brain.

Seems OTT.

On a sidenote, this is a RUMOUR but theres talk that Fedor will be unveiled for the UFC on Saturday night. Rumour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

My theory is that he is waiting till after the world combat sambo championships, so he can say farewell to it while under contract with the UFC.

Rumour mill suggests Fedor will be in London for the announcement of his joining the UFC.....

Has anyone seen the McCullogh v Crunkilton fight in the WEC? It was supposed to be a great night of fighting.

Has anyone seen the McCullogh v Crunkilton fight in the WEC? It was supposed to be a great night of fighting.
    Not yet but heard it was a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I read up on that a bit and their main concern is Mirko Crocop cos of how badlt he got KO'd in April.

Does anyone think Crocop is washed up after watching him on saturday. Thats 2 fairly comprehensive defeats in a row. Apparently he only has 1 fight left on his deal with the UFC, does anyone see him making it back to being a top ranked contender fir a title shot?

He is done,my understanding was that he was going to retire after his ufc contract anyway.
    He apparently broke a rib in the first round,but I dont think it made a difference,he is not a mixed martial artist.If the UFC are able to get out of his contract for cheap,they will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

StaggerLee wrote:
    Does anyone think Crocop is washed up after watching him on saturday. Thats 2 fairly comprehensive defeats in a row. Apparently he only has 1 fight left on his deal with the UFC, does anyone see him making it back to being a top ranked contender fir a title shot?

I think when he signed it was a 5 fight contract which means he would have 2 left. Could be wrong though.

Hindsight is a great thing but retiring after the Pride Grand Priz may have been the wise decision. Not because all of a sudden he is a poor fighter but I think he doesn't quite have the motivation he once did.

He said after winning the open weight Grand Priz last year that if he didn't win it he would retire. And when you make comments like that, mentally you might be just about done.

If not, I think he should drop to the Lightheavy weight division. He can get to 205 and I think he would do alot better. It was sad watching him on Saturday. He was a shadow of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think crocop can still beat people in the top 10 on his day. I want to see him fight Arlowski or Minotauro before he's gone.

Hindsight is a great thing but retiring after the Pride Grand Priz may have been the wise decision. Not because all of a sudden he is a poor fighter but I think he doesn't quite have the motivation he once did.

He is getting in excess of 300k a fight,its a good motivation to step into the cage,if only to pick up the paycheck.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

dunkamania wrote:
    He is getting in excess of 300k a fight,its a good motivation to step into the cage,if only to pick up the paycheck.;)

Thats the problem. Mentally he may have been done after the Pride Grand Priz. But when money like that gets put on the table, its hard to say no to.

He said he would have retired after the GP if he hadnt won, a sure sign he was mentally winding down.

His contract was for 6 fights, 300k - 350k a fight.

Id imagine he may fight Nog or Arlovski next, no favours from UFC anymore.

Arlovski makes sense as a matchup,if Arlovski is as timid as in his last few matches,then Cro cop is likely to knock him out,and salvage some face and justify his large fee for his remaining fights. If Arlovski takes the fight to Crocop,and wins,it probably get his career back on track.

In either case the loser would be finished in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Arlovskis getting shafted at the minute. Pretty much the same situation as Vera was in. One fight left on his contract so they won't have him fight till the have to. For Arlovskis sake I hope they don't match him with Cro Cop as I quite like him, he just needs to get his old aggression back. I wouldn't be surprised if Cro Cop doesn't fight in the UFC anyway and just retires. How that would work in terms of his contract i don't know but I can see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Kazooie wrote:
    Arlovskis getting shafted at the minute. Pretty much the same situation as Vera was in.

Vera's problem was with his management, not with the UFC.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    Vera's problem was with his management, not with the UFC.
    Yea his manager was withholding offers from the UFC from Vera cos he stood to make more money himself out of Vera going elsewhere. He was basically acting in his own best interests and not Vera's. He's since been fired and Vera has a new manager now.

Cant wait to see Vera vs Sylvia, Ive met Vera twice and he's a very nice guy, Ill be rooting for him!!

Sakuraba is fighting Funaki on new years day. An old school MMA match, if its anything like Shamrock v Frye we are in for fireworks!!

Thankfully theyre giving Saku someone as old and over the hill as he is so he hopefully wont get embarrassed. Its been hard watchin him the last few years.

Thankfully theyre giving Saku someone as old and over the hill as he is so he hopefully wont get embarrassed. Its been hard watchin him the last few years.

They are giving him a warm up against Katsuyori Shibata (on Monday in Hero's) , one of Funaki's students. If he wins, the fight will be hyped as a teacher regaining his students honour, if he loses a chance of redemption. It should be good.

Cage Rage was bought by eliteXC. They have also bought King of the Cage. And ICON who have one of the worlds best MW's Robbie Lawler. Man they are becoming a huge player in the MMA game.

They need a tv deal or they wont be able to take advantage of these mergers,possiblly a deal with HDtv in the works.

EliteXC rock!!! I have signed up to their website, it rocks!! You can watch the fights for free directly after the event finishes. They are going to earn a load of goodwill from the MMA fans for that. You can watch them all over the world which is also cool. I hope they show Cage Rage for free also. Also the UFC has signed Ryo Chonan with a rematch versus Anderson Silva in mind. Beware of flying submissions spider.

EliteXC rock!!! I have signed up to their website, it rocks!! You can watch the fights for free directly after the event finishes. They are going to earn a load of goodwill from the MMA fans for that. You can watch them all over the world which is also cool. I hope they show Cage Rage for free also. Also the UFC has signed Ryo Chonan with a rematch versus Anderson Silva in mind. Beware of flying submissions spider.
    Yea this is really really good. UFC charge nearly 50 bucks a PPV in America, the fans hate it especially since, until recently, they were giving out crappy cards. The worst must be being a committed MMA fan in America and the UFC puts Kendall grove vs Patrick Cote on the PPV and cans Clay Guida vs Marcus Aurelio to the undercard. Not the way to get goodwill.

Cant wait to see that rematch, Chonan was well on his way to winning that fight before the heel hook, it was no fluke!!

Did anyone watch Cage Rage on Saturday?

I only watched Chris Brennan and Vitors fights cos I was under parental pressure to clear the Sky Plus.....grrrrr!

The crowd boo'ed the Belfort Zigic fight, Im really revising my opinion on the English fans to be honest, especially after attending 75 as well. They suck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

The crowd boo'ed the Belfort Zigic fight, Im really revising my opinion on the English fans to be honest, especially after attending 75 as well. They suck!
    Oh they were awful at UFC75. People were hammered and shouting things like "smash his $@&%ing face in" repeatedly.

Wasn't impressed at all at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement