Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Also forgot to mention, Dana said its likely that Shogun will make his UFC debut in September against Lyoto Machida, not an easy start. He mentioned that Forrest Griffin was pushing to get this fight too but they were looking closely at it being Machida.

Also its strongly rumoured that UFC are gonna introduce a Bantamweight division, Urijah Faber was at UFC 73 and they showed him a few times apparently so hopefully we'll get to see him in the UFC instead of youtube eh!!!

Forest would get destroyed.

I thought the whole point of the WEC was that is was for weight categories not in the UFC.:confused: e.g. bantamweight.

Clank wrote:
    Forest would get destroyed.

I thought the whole point of the WEC was that is was for weight categories not in the UFC.:confused: e.g. bantamweight.
    Yea Shogun is a different class.

I dunno but thats the rumour. Would be good since its hard to find the WEC fights online...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

From what Rogan was saying at the TUF5 finale I think they probably just had Uriah there to gain attention for the WEC. With Pulver looking to go down a weight now they can market the WEC better.

PM me if you're having any trouble finding MMA vids online by the way

hardCopy wrote:
    From what Rogan was saying at the TUF5 finale I think they probably just had Uriah there to gain attention for the WEC. With Pulver looking to go down a weight now they can market the WEC better.

PM me if you're having any trouble finding MMA vids online by the way
    Possibly, we'll have to wait and see I guess. 145 lb fights r great to watch so itd be fun.

IFL team concept is catchin on btw....theyre doin one in Brazil wih Wanderlei Silva and Murilo Bustamante as coaches!!!

IFL team concept is catchin on btw....theyre doin one in Brazil wih Wanderlei Silva and Murilo Bustamante as coaches!!!

As part of the IFL or a separate Brazillian org?

• Advertisement

Not too sure. Its under the archives in mmaweekly.com so check it out, cant get on myself right now.

Also some bouts comin up:

- Shogun debuts against Ryoto Machida in September, gonna be a tough debut

- Hughes vs Serra on December 29th

- BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk in November

- Anderson Silva vs Rich Franklin 2 and Tito Rashad 2 both in October in Franklins hometown of Cincinatti, Ohio.

Also forgot, for WEC fans (or PRIDE fans) Paulo Filho debuts in the WEC against Joe Doerkson.

Doerkson on an 8 fight win streak while Filho is 14-0.

Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Also some bouts comin up:

- Shogun debuts against Ryoto Machida in September, gonna be a tough debut

- Hughes vs Serra on December 29th

- BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk in November

- Anderson Silva vs Rich Franklin 2 and Tito Rashad 2 both in October in Franklins hometown of Cincinatti, Ohio.

Why is Serra's defence so far away?:confused: Anderson Silva will be defending again before that according to those bouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Kazooie wrote:
    Why is Serra's defence so far away?:confused: Anderson Silva will be defending again before that according to those bouts.

Serra and Hughes need to record TUF 6 , which they are doing at the moment, and then have it air before they fight.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    Serra and Hughes need to record TUF 6 , which they are doing at the moment, and then have it air before they fight.
    Gives them time to train their skills. Could be good for them. Imo I think Serra has a good chance of catchin him on the feet, his jits is better on paper but it could turn into another Sherk vs Franca job too.....

Wanderlei vs Chuck which was highly rumoured for September 22nd UFC 76 is OFF: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4313&zoneid=2

But Shogun vs Machida is definitely on: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4314&zoneid=13

Josh Barnett has said that he turned the UFC down (i.e - decided not to switch his DSE contract like everyone else) because he wants to fight Fedor and he said he'll go wherever Fedor is. He basically sai that going over to UFC will make u at best number 2 unless Fedor was there.

hardCopy wrote:
    As part of the IFL or a separate Brazillian org?

Checked up on this after you mentioned it and apparently Pedro Rizzo and Lil Nog are the other coaches

Josh Barnett has said that he turned the UFC down (i.e - decided not to switch his DSE contract like everyone else) because he wants to fight Fedor and he said he'll go wherever Fedor is. He basically sai that going over to UFC will make u at best number 2 unless Fedor was there.

Didn't he test positive for roids? Thought that was the reason he wasn't in the UFC. He's right about Fedor though, If you beat him you're number one. Would love to see him in UFC, mainly to re break Sylvias arm with one of his viscous arm bars.

looks like It's Forrest up first for Shogun after all, not Machida.
    It was nice knowin ya Forrest!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just noticed on Sherdog that Royce Gracie was banned for testing positive for anabolic steroids.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8291

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yeah, there was a thread about it a month ago. Royce didn't appeal it, so it looks like he's admitted his guilt

Kazooie wrote:
    looks like It's Forrest up first for Shogun after all, not Machida.
    It was nice knowin ya Forrest!:rolleyes:
    Still says Machida on MMAWeekly, and theyre very rarely wrong.

Keith Jardine vs Chuck Liddell is now the main event of UFC 76

Fozzy wrote:
    Yeah, there was a thread about it a month ago. Royce didn't appeal it, so it looks like he's admitted his guilt
    LOL yea but he did release the standard "I never knowingly took seroids, and Im deeply shocked by this" statement.... He didnt even look juiced!!

• Advertisement

LOL yea but he did release the standard "I never knowingly took seroids, and Im deeply shocked by this" statement.... He didnt even look juiced!!

I don't think he has the body type to be comfortable getting huge, but he was something like 12lbs heavier vs Saku than he was vs Hughes and the extra weight didn't look like flab.

hardCopy wrote:
    Checked up on this after you mentioned it and apparently Pedro Rizzo and Lil Nog are the other coaches
    Sounds awesome, love to see that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

UFC 74 is shaping up nicely

* Champion Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (for heavyweight title)
    * Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck
    * Patrick Cote vs. Kendall Grove
    * Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino
    * David Heath vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral
    * Alberto Crane vs. Roger Huerta
    * Antoni Hardonk vs. Frank Mir
    * Marcus Aurelio vs. Clay Guida
    * Ryan Jensen vs. Travis Lutter

UFC are putting on top notch cards these days
    Hopefully the Guida Aurelio fight will be broadcast.

dunkamania wrote:

Bolox, Bravo will probably only show the top 4. Id rather see Babalu or Frank Mir than Kendall bleedin Grove. And we'll miss Clay Guida as well. Brilliant!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

.... He didnt even look juiced!!

You don't just juice for size, you can also take things that vastly aid recovery from injury and extensive training.

Dragan wrote:
    You don't just juice for size, you can also take things that vastly aid recovery from injury and extensive training.
    I know that, It was a joke

dunkamania wrote:

Lookin like an awesome card.

Randy to win via murder in the clinch and wearing down Gonzaga.
    GSP could be on his back for a part of this fight but I dont see Koscheck finishing him. Cote v Grove?? Who cares.
    Daddy vs Pellegrino will be fun as will Crane vs Huerta and I really hope Guida vs Aurelio is on tv.
    Hardonk vs Mir could be disastrous for Mir unless he gets him down.
    Lutter goes from main event to bottom of the card in one fight, moral of the story......MAKE YOUR WEIGHT!!

MMAWeekly has changed it to Griffin vs Shogun so guess it official. Night night Forrest.

Theyre really throwin the TUF guys to the wolves, thankfully no more protecting them Diego vs Jon Fitch, Koscheck vs GSP, Forrest vs Shogun (rumoured that Forrest pushed hard to get this fight) and Stevenson vs Pellegrino.

Wow. Sherk AND Franca both failed their piss tests after UFC 73....... Made a thread bout it cos its an issue in itself but from an MMA perspective the LW div needs to be saved (cos its awesome)

How bout BJ vs Gomi for the LW title?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Domster

Gomi is rumoured to be going to Hero's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement