Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Dragan wrote:
    Its only really a strength if it's comparable to his opponent, and i would see BJ as being better in ever way than Diego.

This is a bad match for Sanchez.
    Still why take the risk. See his fight with Hughes, BJ knows hes better than Hughes on the ground but he implemented sprawl and brawl to great effect (until he gassed/got injured)

Put it this way, u are fighting at the weekend and u sit down and look at your opponent and think, well hes good on the top position ground and pound, has good sweeps, great cardio and is relentless. U know u could get the better of him on the ground, but u look at his takedowns and while good, theyre not great, and u look at his striking which is very poor. I know what gameplan Im goin with

Kevinly_ wrote:
    Why is BJ fighting Sanchez? Accepted it's a chance for Sanchez to prove to the world he's an elite athlete but I'd give him a 2000-1 chance of getting past the 2nd round. Bj and Karo would be a better match up (despite Karo's loss to Sanchez)
    In fairness I watched Karo vs Sanchez last night and Diego destroyed him.

Its BJs big move back up to 170. He now has the exposure from coaching TUF. He'll fight one of the biggest names to come out of TUF and thus get more fans on his side. (casual fans that is).

Makes sense in that way. Plus he lost his last 2 fights at 170 to GSP and Hughes. Hughes is next for Serra. GSP is fighting Koscheck who just beat Diego. Fight makes a lot of sense in that way. Winner is legit in the title picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Kevinly_ wrote:
    Why is BJ fighting Sanchez? Accepted it's a chance for Sanchez to prove to the world he's an elite athlete but I'd give him a 2000-1 chance of getting past the 2nd round. )

I'd take those odds!

It'll all be about BJ. It always is. If he's ready, focused and in shape he'll win. If he's not, Sanchez will give him alot of trouble.

Kevinly_ wrote:
    I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say Sanchez whooped Karo's ass. He didn't hurt him. I don't care much for decisions (ironic for a Karo fanboy) but I'd definitely go BJ > Karo > Diego. As Vince says if BJ comes in shape and in a mood to kill he'll destroy sanchez. If this fight just a rumour or definitely on?
    Rumoured to be on.

To say he didnt hurt him is stupid. Im sorry. But he hit him with a peach of a hook inside the 1st 10 seconds which cut him, Karos face looked like hammered sh1t at the end while Diego hadnt so much as a scratch on him and last but not least...the flying tooth. He did hurt him, he hurt him bad.

• Advertisement

Paddy power are now giving odds on all UFC events. Check Friday or Saturday for UFC 73 odds.
    Checked them last night.

Nate Marquardt is 6-5 and Anderson Silva is 8-13..............no exactly worth placin a bet on either. I was hopin Nate would be a big underdog so I could put money on him.

Rashad is evens against Tito and Tito is something like 5-6. Again was thinkin of throwin change on Rashad but no point.

The only decent bet I can see is Hermes Franca and anyone who watched Sean Sherks UFC All Access will know that itd be stupid to bet against him.

The only sure bet is Nog over Herring (based on the fact that hes already beaten him...twice) but no odds on offer.

Apparently Ricco is training with Crocop now, hes looking to get his weight down to around 230 (he was always around 245 wasnt he?!) and is apparently training very hard now.

Documentary out about him next year I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

i dont understand why BJ is fighting Sanchez,BJ is pretty much guaranteed title shot against the winner of Sherk Franca

dunkamania wrote:
    i dont understand why BJ is fighting Sanchez,BJ is pretty much guaranteed title shot against the winner of Sherk Franca
    I explained the logic behind this a few posts above. BJ walks around pretty heavy these days, he was rumoured to be nearly 100lbs when he was here last year so 170 might be better for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

i think the fight may happen in the future,but defo after BJ faces the winner of Franca-Sherk

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote:
    i think the fight may happen in the future,but defo after BJ faces the winner of Franca-Sherk
    I cant see any way he wouldnt get a shot. That division is STACKED but hes still top of the pile imo

Ok so UFC 73 is on tomorrow night and we'll all get to see it on Bravo on Sunday night so time to put our money where our mouths are and get off the fence!!

My predictions:

Anderson Silva vs Nate Marquardt - gonna be bold and say Nate by decision or Ground and Pound TKO

Rashad Evans vs Tito Ortiz - again Ill be bold and say rashad by dec/TKO. He's actually a better wrestler than Tito based on their NCAA credentials but then so was Vladdy, I just feel like bein bold with some of these!!

Nogueria vs Heath Herring - Nog by whatever he wants based on how the first 2 meeting between these two went!Hope he's as ready for the cage as he says he is!

Sean Sherk vs Hermes Franca - Id love to see Hermes get his due BUT havin seen Sherks All Access and bearing in mind he's a f'in beast for 155 Im gonna have to go with Sherk.

Robinson vs Florian - Goin with Robinson. Ive only seen him fight once but Florian is overrated and Ill never pick him since he only seems interested in winning fights by cut. Well woo hoo u have sharp elbows!! LOL No Robinsons slick on the ground, should be good anyway.

Yea my predictions for Marquardt, Evans and Robinson are to be seen as bold but Id be condifent Ill get 2 of the 3.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It appears the PJ's camp have rubbished the fight with Diego as simply rumour.

If you are interested in betting on the card then i would suggest Betfair over paddypower as they will take bets over the whole card and you can accumulate them. A patent is always a good idea on Paddypower.com .... throw down 70 quid over the 3 fights and get them right and your on to about 250 euro.....even if you miss call one of the fights you should still be up or at least even.

As for the calls, I'm going with Nathan, Sherk and Tito to win the big three myself. Tito just has the power to muscle through Rashad and that was driven home for me at the weighins.

Tito is just a big strong guy, and when technique won't work he can just muscle it out.

Dragan wrote:

If you are interested in betting on the card then i would suggest Betfair over paddypower as they will take bets over the whole card and you can accumulate them. A patent is always a good idea on Paddypower.com .... throw down 70 quid over the 3 fights and get them right and your on to about 250 euro.....even if you miss call one of the fights you should still be up or at least even.

As for the calls, I'm going with Nathan, Sherk and Tito to win the big three myself. Tito just has the power to muscle through Rashad and that was driven home for me at the weighins.

Tito is just a big strong guy, and when technique won't work he can just muscle it out.
    Im in two minds about Rashad - Tito, Rashas has all the tools but really, who has he fought. Basically since theyre so similar Im lookin at wrestling credentials and athleticism and Rashad edges both. Rashad is also an ox, dont be suprised to see him muscle Tito a bit.

Ive been callin Marquardt for months so Im standin by that one.

Nog is a sure bet, im sure the odds r woeful (or not there on paddypower!)

Dragan wrote:
    BJ!!

Id like to see him rematch Hughes and StPierre along with Karo and a few others. I wanna see BJ at 170 to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd have to say Silva, Sherk, Ortiz, Nogueira and Florian to win. Probably the safe picks, although I think Evans could really surprise Tito. That could well be the most exciting fight

I'm lookin forward to seeing Nogueira again, he's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

I don't think Florian gets enough credit, Sherk's a monster and he went the distance with him and in his last fight Florian battered Dokonjonosuke Mishima who's a ****ing bad ass.

DROC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

BJ!!

Stupid typo demons......maybe i was thinking about my leaba? :D

droc wrote:
    I don't think Florian gets enough credit, Sherk's a monster and he went the distance with him and in his last fight Florian battered Dokonjonosuke Mishima who's a ****ing bad ass.

DROC
    Mishima gassed early and then Florian took over. I can see him losing tomorrow and I hope he does. The only reason he went the distance with Sherk imo is cos he opened up a 9 stitch gash in the first round. He still took an absolute beating even though Sherk was defensive protecting the cut. I had it as 50-43 to Sherk.

Dragan wrote:
    Stupid typo demons......maybe i was thinking about my leaba? :D
    We wont even go there about whats on the mind when typin the letters "BJ"!!!:D

• Advertisement

I have limited access on my work comp so wont c till later but does anyone know if they all weighed in?!

The weigh in results and pics are up here:http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4277&zoneid=13

I wouldnt go near that after tonight though if ya wanna watch tomorrow night without spoilers. And please dont post any if u have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Really interesting fights. Going to hold off on spoilers just in case.
    Any idea why they had Florian - Robinson on after Silva - Marquardt?
    And I didn't like them having Ortiz - Evans on after Franca - Sherk.

goo wrote:
    Really interesting fights. Going to hold off on spoilers just in case.
    Any idea why they had Florian - Robinson on after Silva - Marquardt?
    And I didn't like them having Ortiz - Evans on after Franca - Sherk.
    Florians fight was the swing bout and since Tito's, Nogs and Sherks (unsuprisingly) all went to decision there was no time to put it on. Stupid if u ask me.

Since this isnt a direct spoiler (I apologise for mentioning decisions in the previous post) I found it interesting them showing Urijah Faber in the crowd. Hopefully they get WEC on TV over here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Sherks (unsuprisingly) all went to decision there was no time to put it on. Stupid if u ask me.

I laughed out loud when Florian was like 'I'm gonna finish people in here, sub, ko whatever, thats what you want" or something like that.

I don't think he made allowance for the fact that he fought a newcomer and Sherk was fighting a veteran ground expert in Franca.

I really enjoy watching Sherk's wrestling and grappling skills, they are so crisp, I love watching him fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Spoilers follow, do not read further if you do not want to read any spoliers...

sherk was impressive, his passing game and jiu jitsu game looked amazing, it would have been good to see him finish it alright, how many knees to the face did he eat ? Rashad evans to my mind choked, he was so tentative, even Randy commented on it a good few times , the silva fight was good, he really impressed with his striking and jiu jitsu, he did a text book switch to win the fight,
    what was Herring at, for some one who's conditioning looked suspect why oh why didn't he finish it in the first round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Valmont wrote:
    I laughed out loud when Florian was like 'I'm gonna finish people in here, sub, ko whatever, thats what you want" or something like that.

I don't think he made allowance for the fact that he fought a newcomer and Sherk was fighting a veteran ground expert in Franca.

He must have also forgotten that Franca won his last 8 fights and none of them went to a decision, so I'd have given him a better chance at it than Florian!

During the post-fight press conference, Dana White said that the Rampage vs Henderson fight will be a title unification match. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any Pride events anytime soon, if ever. He also said that Josh Barnett has been released from his contract. Pity, although I suppose they probably have enough heavyweights to keep the fans excited for a good while yet

Fozzy wrote:
    He must have also forgotten that Franca won his last 8 fights and none of them went to a decision, so I'd have given him a better chance at it than Florian!

During the post-fight press conference, Dana White said that the Rampage vs Henderson fight will be a title unification match. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any Pride events anytime soon, if ever. He also said that Josh Barnett has been released from his contract. Pity, although I suppose they probably have enough heavyweights to keep the fans excited for a good while yet
    Still though, Barnett is about the only decent HW from PRIDE who didnt face Fedor.......maybe they dont wanna know at the moment considering his past issues with steroid use.

Florian just annoys me. He looks to open cuts with his elbows and for a BJJ Black Belt he doesnt show me enough on the ground. I agree about Franca.

I really wanna see BJ fight Sherk because I could see BJ stuffing his takedowns and outstriking him.

• Advertisement

Also forgot to mention, Dana said its likely that Shogun will make his UFC debut in September against Lyoto Machida, not an easy start. He mentioned that Forrest Griffin was pushing to get this fight too but they were looking closely at it being Machida.

Also its strongly rumoured that UFC are gonna introduce a Bantamweight division, Urijah Faber was at UFC 73 and they showed him a few times apparently so hopefully we'll get to see him in the UFC instead of youtube eh!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement