Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blanchardstown Bowling Centre?

• 10-05-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be bowling there in a couple of weeks time and I was just wondering if you guys could tell me anything about it as I've never bowled there before?

Are the lanes wooden or synthetic? What kind of oil pattern is used?
    I'm going to be using a house ball so I'm not too worried about my score but I'd like to practice some basic technique while I'm there.

Any non-bowling general opinions on the place and how it is run would be nice too. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Presume you mean the leisureplex?

http://www.leisureplex.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah but I strongly dislike that term (washes Moonbeams mouth out with soap)!:D I don't think Leisureplex have done much for bowling in Ireland.

Anyway, my personal opinion aside. Can you tell me any more than just providing that link? Have you been there? What's it like?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yes many times, but I know nothing about bowling besides I try to hit the pins and knock them over.

It is full of kiddies and loud,and often annyoing.
    Pretty sure the lanes are synthetic but I maybe wrong.

Thanks for the info :) You've pretty much summed up why I don't like the "Leisureplex experience" (washing my own mouth out too!) :D

Yep, knocking the pins is pretty much all that's involved...easier said than done though :D

Actually I might start a "beginners bowling tips" thread soon! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The main users are the spanish students and young worldwide students from elsewhere. Also the mentally/physically handicapped seem to have a good deal with lesiuseplex because they always seem to be there in large groups with carers. The next groups are 4somes of teenage girls and 4somes of couples. There are very few who play with personal balls and take it seriously. The first 3 or 4 feet of each lane can be grubby as people often walk over the line and it remains unbuffed. I would say they would buff it out on request though.

• Advertisement

Thanks Rounders, I'm only going for leisure with some friends because I'll be home for the weekend so I'd probably look weird asking them to give my lane special treatment when they see me using a house ball on it :D

Nice to know what to expect all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ah yeah i know what you mean, you dont want your friends looking at you like youre a stickler!. Its hard not to be competitive even against friends though:D . I was just thinking of the hand held squeegy type thing they use that can quickly wipe the first few feet of the lane which would only take a few seconds.
    Enjoy the bowling in Blanch!.

Well I enjoyed bowling in Blanch. I got 155 and 160 so I was happy enough. I felt that the backends were a little oily but it may have been that the lane surface was throwing me off a bit, either way it was all for a bit of fun so I've no complaints about the bowling.

As mentioned previously, I did find it a bit too noisy away from the lanes and not really conducive to relaxation. I also found the staff a bit surly. While they weren't openly rude they weren't going out of their way to be helpful either. Mind you, if I had to do a shift in a place as loud as that all the time I'd probably be sick of it too.

It's also fairly dark inside (away from the lane area) which tends to give the place an atmosphere that to my mind is not very family friendly. I still enjoyed myself! :D

Advertisement