Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Referencing

Options
  • 24-04-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi I'm sinead and I'm a third year human development student. Have to carry out a research project as part of our final year. Just about finished now:) just trying to put the whole thing together. Was just wondering would any one know the correct way to reference a book with an author as well as a translator.. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Not one I've done before, but a quick google found http://www.studentabc.com/apa_format#translation

This is presuming that you're using APA format references?

English Translation of Book
    If using an English translation, include translators' names in parentheses after title and original publication date after publisher name.
    Example
    Smith, J. (2004). Social research methods (G.F. Davis & S. Green, Trans.). New York: Prentice Hall. (Original work published 1983)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

Thanks thats GREAT!! A big help.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

wikipedia is not too shabby for referencing...saves flicking through those APA books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

There are quite a few different ways of referencing. The way mentioned in the link above is good but I have seen many other ways too. Just ensure that you clearly state where you got the material from and mention page numbers and chapters when referencing sections of books. You can also mention the ISBN of the book.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Scigaithris

rollie wrote:
    wikipedia is not too shabby for referencing...saves flicking through those APA books
    Wiki is not a scholarly source. Although it may be handy and useful, be mindful that it is not always valid or reliable, nor typically accepted as a credible source for citations when writing academic papers or seeking publication in the better journals.

Make sure to check with whomever you are submitting the paper to as to the style they want. There are several styles, and citation formats differ considerably; e.g., APA, Chicago, MLA, Tarabin, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

don't forget that referencing a journal is different from referencing a book what you put in italics if your doing apa style. :)

Advertisement