Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Disposing of used engine oil

• 26-03-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 rockbeer

Hi there all,
    Just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions how/where I can get rid of used engine oil?

I do all my own servicing on two vehicles, and until recently I had an arrangement with a local garage who let me dump my old oil in their sump. Sadly, due to them stitching me up over some dodgy business, that's no longer an option - so I need to know of alternatives.

What am I 'officially' supposed to do with it? And are there any 'unofficial' options I could consider without causing an environmental catastrophe?

Thanks for any help,
    Bruce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭ BrianD3

Your local bring/recycling centre should take it for free or for a small charge (1-3 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭ crosstownk

Your local authority will be able to advise you of where you can dispose of it.

Alternatively, you could approach another local friendly garage who will have a means of disposing used oil. Usually they drain it to a tank that is collected at regular intervals by a disposal agent such as Atlas Oil. A garage has to pay for this service so you may be charged a nominal fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 rockbeer

Thanks very much for the tips,
    Just checked out the Silliot Hill website - looks like they'll take it.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Environment/SilliotHill/

Cheers,
    Bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭ TheBazman

I have mixed used engine oil with cresote and used it to paint my garden fence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,176 overdriver

Some folks thin it with kerosene and burn it in their home heating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭ maidhc

I spray it on machines to stop them rusting with an Aldi electric spray gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 rockbeer

overdriver wrote:

That's an interesting one with heating oil costing more than diamonds these days... Any idea what proportion of kerosene to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭ crosstownk

overdriver wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this contravenes some anti pollution law.

We used to do this is a garage where I worked ages ago. Then I think some law came in and we had to have it removed by an approved waste oil disposal company. I don't know what the position is for private residences. AFAIK, engine oil will burn giving off some smoke contributing to smog - not to mention other pollutants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,176 overdriver

You're probably right, there. If you google it there's lots of forums on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 el tel

Easy....
    oilDownDrain.jpg

:p

(In second thoughts, don't!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,952 smcgiff

el tel wrote:
    Easy....
    oilDownDrain.jpg

:p

(In second thoughts, don't!)

Not while wearing swede shoes anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ajarms86

Pretty sure local recycling centres take it, my local one in Dundalk take it for €3 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ajarms86

Advertisement