Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 3X09 - "Stranger In A Strange Land" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users Posts: 45,171 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gazzer wrote:
    The thing I dont understand about the brainwashing angle is that:

1) Why wasnt Juliet brainwashed so that she wants to stay on the island and not want to go home.
    2). Why wasnt Jack brainwashed into doing the operation rather than Ben 'want' Jack to 'want' to do it.
    3). Why wasnt Kate and Sawyer brainwashed rather than have them in a cage for 6 episodes.
    4). Why wasnt Rosseaus daughter brainwashed, why is she allowed to hate Ben?
    IMO, the kid was being punished, as well as brainwashed - as he was in the cage when sawyer arrived.

"Sling Shot Sally" doesn't like her dad cause her dad doesn't like her boyfriend. Hardly a shocking scenario for a 'father' and his teenage daughter.

Also, Home, might not actually mean Miami, it could be where they are heading to with Ben now, as ben refers to that as Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tauren wrote:
    "Sling Shot Sally" doesn't like her dad cause her dad doesn't like her boyfriend. Hardly a shocking scenario for a 'father' and his teenage daughter.

enough to want him dead?

Come on Lost just let us know whats up regarding Libbys flashbacks, the foot, dharma, Penny, Lock ahhhhhhh my head is wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

It was during watching that episode that I realised I have been giving this show far too much time - I should have given up long ago.
    I haven't laughed so much at any episode since, well ever. Everything about it was ridiculous, especially the stupid backstory. All the episode was missing was Jack crying - I was really waiting for that.
    I don't think I'll bother any more with this show. It doesn't hold my interest any more, and I'm sure I can find better stuff to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to say that episode was in my eyes the worst episode so far and I gave it a 5, maybe it should have been a 4, don't feel the flashback was that great apart from your one, please lets get back to two very interesting characters in Locke and Sayid very soon
    I fell asleep after half an hour, 'nuff said

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My first time to give an episode 4.
    Dreadful from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

basquille wrote:
    Yep.. it's unanimous - this episode was utter muck..

Ehh, no its not unanimous...
    Nearly 50% of the votes (at the time I posted this) gave it a 6->10 rating...

I quite enjoyed this episode, and like others you need to appreciate the subtleties within.

I agree with the post earlier about the message from the writers, "Stop asking questions and lets have fun".

But, similar to the Top Gear thread on the motors forum, If you don't like it, don't watch it, and stop wasting time posting on this forum! I do not understand the logic of you people, why not do something constructive with your time?

I hate Big Brother, so I just don't bother with the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

prospect wrote:

I quite enjoyed this episode, and like others you need to appreciate the subtleties within.

I agree with the post earlier about the message from the writers, "Stop asking questions and lets have fun".

But, similar to the Top Gear thread on the motors forum, If you don't like it, don't watch it, and stop wasting time posting on this forum! I do not understand the logic of you people, why not do something constructive with your time?

I hate Big Brother, so I just don't bother with the forum.

Yeah in future basquille get rid of the bottom 5 options, make people only vote 6-10.... heck get rid of all of the options and just make people give it a 10 because everybody will blindly love each episode without question, because that's what humans are, mindless drones that like to print their praise to various forums then move on.

Get real prospect, your post is flaming in my opinion. Just like you said, you don't post in the Big Brother forum because you hate it. If you hate the posts of others, then take it to the Thunderdome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Most of the people here who didn't like this episode are still Lost fans - it's just that we thought this episode was poorly-executed twaddle. The problem wasn't even that this episode introduced more questions without giving answers - the previous episode was the same way but it was excellent. It's just that this episode reeked.

I still enjoy Lost and I won't be giving it up and I think most people here feel the same way. We can enjoy a show without being blind to the fact that some episodes will be crap.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:
    Get real prospect, your post is flaming in my opinion.

Just because I disagree with the masses, that means I'm flaming? How incredibally innocent of you.

I just think you people who have written huge long descriptions on how crap it is, and how much you hate the lead characters, and how this is its last chance, could serve yourselves better by using your time and energy more constructively.

I also don't like Basquille telling me that the opinion of all the peole on this forum is that the ep. was crap. I didn't think so.

How many times have I heard 'This is the last chance' or ' am not watching any more if there is another crap episode'. I wish those same people would live by their word.

It doesn't have to be all out action that only features Locke, Desmond, Ben & Sayid to be a good ep.

So, I am not flaming, I am just tired of hearing the same old broken record from a lot of posters.

prospect wrote:

huh?
    prospect wrote:
    Just because I disagree with the masses, that means I'm flaming? How incredibally innocent of you.

The masses you say? huh? didn't you just say that you thought 50% of the voters agreed with you, NOW you are saying you are disagreeing with the masses? Oh and you are flaming because you are making a personal attack against Basquille in a thread that is meant for discussion about an episode of LOST. Basquille might be using hyperbole but i'm guessing he's taking into account the comments on other LOST forums and the ratings which show that this episode was muck.

Either way that's my last comment on this. You've thrown your little spaz about the way people comment here. Care to actually post now your opinions on what these little subtleties you found so enjoyable about this episode of LOST actually are?

I did not personally attack anyone, I just pointed out that Basquille has no right to post on my behalf or on the behalf of the other users who enjoyed this episode.

"You've thrown your little spaz"
    That i take as a personal insult, and have duly reported it as abuse.

Trilla wrote:

My god, its only after reading through those lists that i've realised how many questions have been unanswered, they could feasible, without introducing any new mysterious, get another 4 or 5 seasons out of answering just those questions. At least they have promised to deal with the 4 toed stone foot before the end of the season, which will give a glimpse into the islands history pre dharma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

prospect, would you 'cowboy up' and stop crying because basquille said that most of the people on this thread didn't like the episode. NEWSFLASH, most people who commented DIDN'T like the episode. They're allowed their opinion as you're allowed yours.

See on these threads you get Lost fans who comment on the episode for what they are (whether it be great, average, or crap). And then you get your Lost fans who don't comment on the episode, rather just the show (these people think Lost can do no wrong). And then you just get the people who you would swear are being forced to watch Lost or else they'll die! And they get so p1ssed off they might be forgetting that this is a TV SHOW! I don't know why there are so many people saying 'I gave Lost another chance but I'm seriously thinking on not watching it next week' and then the following week they complain yet again and say they're not going to watch it anymore. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T WATCH IT! Is Lost that addictive? I watch Lost because it's an entertaining show and I like it. If you don't like it (and this is to anyone) please DON'T watch it. Don't waste your time 'giving it a chance' and then moaning about it a couple of seasons later that you still don't like it.

Sorry about that - rant over.

I wrote a couple of paragraphs about what I thought of the episode but it didn't post and I'm not bothered to type it up again. But IMO this is the worst lost episode to date. That is bad (of course) but it was still watchable. I, too, think there's a lot of bandwagon jumping going on. It wasn't an episode that you would stop watching half way through (like one poster nearly did) but it was still below Lost's standards.

My lowest Lost rating : 5/10 (possibly 4 at times!)

One question though...where is 'home'? It seemed like a big enough ship so maybe it isn't too far away. Maybe they're just going to the origional island?

I didn't see much difference between this episode and most of the others.
    Quite enjoyable eye and ear fodder as usual.

And what exactly is wrong with making it up as they go along,I ask again ?
    What matters to me (so far anyway) is the more ish quality of this programme and it still has that.
    They've so much material or ways that they can go with this,which I take it is some peoples problem on here-you want it to end and all answers given right now.

I think the people that are dissapointed in LOST are those that are watching the likes of 24, Prison break, Heroes (and Dexter ;)) and in comparison LOST is becoming WAY below par on what is the current standard that is expected of a TV show. The others that liked it might not be comparing it to other contemporary shows and therefore in comparison to only LOST and previous episodes, this episode was average, thus reflecting the voting.

Whats frustrating is not the action or the storyline, more that the pace of the show has become extremely fragmented. It wouldn't surprise me if next week they spent the whole episode having Sayid describing a recipe on how to cook fondue *;) * There are too many story arcs in play and the viewers attention is consistantly being dragged from one to another without completion of the previous one. In fact I don't think one story arc has ever been completed, on top of this the characters are being developed this season, so poorly, that the viewer is losing all interest in whether they exist at all. Who here cared the slightest when it was revealed in the desmond episode that the universe had put a bounty on charlies head.. I didn't!

Whats happening is that the main story is being so saturated with mysterious and unanswered questions that the viewer cares more about the answers to the mysterious rather than the condition of the characters.

But like others, my main bain of contention this week was how Jack reacted when reunited with those kidnapped off the plane, the writers had an ample opertunity to shed some light on this mystery and instead decided to shroud it in a another mystery of why they are so accepting of their kidnappers (stockholm syndrome?) and made Jack shout and growl like the animal whos cage he resided in rather than ask some all important questions which would of given some morsels at least for the viewer to chew on till next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

L31mr0d wrote:
    Who here cared the slightest when it was revealed in the desmond episode that the universe had put a bounty on charlies head.. I didn't!

I certainly did, fantastic end to a fantastic episode and may mean Charlie dies. Win win for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

L31mr0d wrote:
    I think the people that are dissapointed in LOST are those that are watching the likes of 24, Prison break, Heroes (and Dexter ;)) and in comparison LOST is becoming WAY below par on what is the current standard that is expected of a TV show. The others that liked it might not be comparing it to other contemporary shows and therefore in comparison to only LOST and previous episodes, this episode was average, thus reflecting the voting.

Just a note on this point.

A lot of people are saying that Prison Break, Desperate Housewives, Heroes etc. is better than Lost but I don't think it's fair to compare shows like this.

I mean it's like comparing Dolly Parton to Freddie Mercury - they're different. Just as these TV shows are all different. But if people must put one ahead of the other, I think it's only fair to judge on series vs series. For example, Lost series one ALONE vs prison break series one ALONE. I've watched both and loved both but most (in my experience) would say Lost is better judging on just one particular series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I don't know about any other posters but I only vote compared to other episodes of that particular show up until that point. Now granted I expect a certain level from a TV show so I would probably never give below a 5 to something I would watch every week.
    For example something useless like charmed might get a ten from me but that would only mean it was the best I think Charmed could ever be. In real terms it might only correspond to a 6 in Lost ratings.
    The last time I gave a Lost episode a 10 was 2X17 Lockdown which I thought was fantastic, the best Lost episode I've seen. I gave last weeks Desmond ep a 9 (the highest this season) and I gave this one a 7 (but was seriously thinking about a 6).

• Advertisement

I think it's only fair to judge on series vs series. For example, Lost series one ALONE vs prison break series one ALONE. I've watched both and loved both but most (in my experience) would say Lost is better judging on just one particular series.

Agree completely. IMO LOST season 1 beats EVERY episode i've seen of Prison break, but its like the tortoise and the hare. LOST gave an excellent sprinting start for season 1 and the better part of season 2, but has started to lag of late. Whereas Prison break has been consistantly good thus far and is slowly now catching up with lost and overtaking it. I woke up this morning to somebody having this exact same discussion on 104FM about how Heroes is the new LOST now, I swear they must read these forums (weirdly enough they where also discussing how they where watching episodes from the states?)

Maybe its just me though, but looking over season 1 again, it seemed like the Losties asked more questions, where aware of their surroundings and remembered the questions they had to get the answers to. Now it seems they are like robots or something, and they don't seem to show any rememberance of things gone before until its right in their face again. That's why I commented that I liked the one scene where jack recaps all his knowledge of what the others have been up to, at least reconfirming that hes human and has memory.

Either way, i'm going to watch the next episode now, after last weeks heroes i'm really hoping lost pulls something out of the hat to reconfirm what a great show it is. It would be horrible to see it axed prematurely and for the writers to have to throw together some ending which was supposed to be panned out over a few seasons.

prospect, would you 'cowboy up' and stop crying because basquille said that most of the people on this thread didn't like the episode. NEWSFLASH, most people who commented DIDN'T like the episode.

I would not mind if that was what was said. However i think you should whip out a dictionary and look up the word 'unanimous'.

I agree that everyone has and is entitled to their opinion. However, I don't see the point in wasting my time, and the posters time, and space on this thread and bandwidth etc, telling the world that this is Lost's last chance. And doing that nearly EVERY WEEK.

I gave the episode a 5 vote aswell (i think, either that or a 6), as it was okay. Then again I think the higest ever rating I have given, (and I am a regular here, just because I am not on whinging about every episode that doesn't feature an explosion or a big fist fight), was a 9, because as far as I am concerned 10 is a perfect score, and nothing in this world is perfect.

Advertisement