Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bridesmaid

Options
  • 13-02-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

..... what are my duties?

(I'm new by the way, couldnt find any threads where newbies introduce themselves so 'hi' and please be gentle with me!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Hi and welcome!

there are many definitions of bridesmaid duties (google 'bridesmaid duties' and you'll get lots to go on) but in a nutshell, the duty is to assist the bride, from the preparation stage to the hen to the big day and the day after and maybe helping with any small things until the honeymooners return!

Mind you on some of the wedding tv shows being bridesmaid is a euphemism for slave!!

There aren't as many formal duties as a best man has but some bridesmaids now take part in the speeches/reading out cards too.

If you are chief bridesmaid, generally you will be one of the witnesses to the marriage signing the register.

The main thing is to be clear with the bride what she expects your role to be , because everyone and every wedding is different. Some brides may want you to do a lot, some less. It also depends on how many other bridesmaids there to help and how helpful the groomsmen and family and friends are too!

If you are clear about it with the bride, there's less room for misunderstandings and arguments or resentment.I have seen a bit of resentment and confusion arise from non-direct communication between bride and maids!

Whether you are the bride's family or friend, just accepting the role and being helpful is meaningful and memorable. I have just asked my three bridesmaids and they are so delighted to be asked and I am thrilled they will be there for me and with me through the planning and shopping and all the fun and stress! I won't make them wear a colour or dress they hate and they know that too!

I really enjoyed being bridesmaid myself and felt honoured to be asked and important to be able to help the bride and the family. Little helpful gestures that cost nothing can make a difference on the day. :)

Advertisement