Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Competetions?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody know of any wedding competitions specifially for Ireland? Dress/Photographer/Holneymoon/anything at all to cut costs!!

I entered plenty at Wedding Journal Show but didn't win anything!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

smileygal wrote:
    Hi,
    Does anybody know of any wedding competitions specifially for Ireland? Dress/Photographer/Holneymoon/anything at all to cut costs!!

I entered plenty at Wedding Journal Show but didn't win anything!!

Thats the most desperate statement i've ever heard.

If you can't afford it you don't need it.
    Work harder!!!!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

This isn't even funny.

You need to take a step back and have a little chat with yourself and realise that your wedding day is basically a piss up with relations with a bit of dinner thrown in.
    Don't give me this "greatest day of my life" bull. If it is, then you've led a pretty deprived and sheltered life.

Every summer I'm invited to weddings where I see people go thousands of euro into debt to have a piss up. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I mean, taking out a loan so that great great grand aunt maureen can complain about the chicken and uncle albert can drink himself into a stupor just doesn't make sense, no matter what way you look at it.

And, and it must be the tackiest day on earth. Every one knows whats going to happen next, throughout the day. Grace before meal, speech, grace after meal, all stand, all sit, out on the dancefloor, throw the bouquet, chicken song, etc etc. LOL. Oh sweet jesus its tack personified.

Would ye ever cop on and have a nice meal with your close friends and family and leave it at that. Spend the money on your house, a car, a holiday or your kids education. Not a fúcking piss up for gods sake.
    Ah god help us. Some awful stupid people in ths country. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Again, I'll say it: cop yourself on. What the hell is wrong with you. Are you such a silly person that you feel you have to have a huge wedding you can't afford - just to keep up with your friends?? Grow a spine, use your creativity and common sense and plan a wedding that you can actually afford. Nobody will feel a bit sorry for you if you're in debt after it, they'll just think "well it was a nice day, but it's over now and what was she thinking spending that kind of money in the first place....it was nothing special, just the same as every other wedding".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

My wedding came in at about a third of the cost of the 'average irish' wedding.

We have been to plenty of weddings in the last few years and they are so predictable and tacky in general. We decided from the off set that the honeymoon would cost more than the whole reception and day in general – this was our once in a lifetime chance of a great holiday.

We limited numbers to who we really wanted there .. not who ‘should’ be invited, which was easier by booking a venue which could only hold a max of 110 people. Everything about the day was tailored to reflect our personalities, even the priest wasn’t formal during the ceremony, he encouraged people to laugh, hug and generally join in the celebrations. The reception was a very light hearted affair, relaxed and fun. We didn’t see the need in splashing out on rubbish that nobody notices and instead made sure there was enough wine and good food.

The band encouraged people up on the stage to sing themselves, air guitar competitions and to make a fool of themselves, even the most restrained of aunties let their hair down and joined in the fun.

Even picking a January wedding saved a fortune, plus as most weddings are summertime, people were not in the situation of having numerous weddings in the space of a few weeks. We didn’t expect gifts of any real value, kinda asked people not to worry about it .. so anything we did receive was a bonus.

We did spend a few bob on a very good photographer .. for a good reason, we love our photos and these were for ourselves and our grandchildren to muse over in years to come.

Remember the day is about yourself and your partner and nobody else !!!

Advertisement