Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stoneys Bar, Hill Street

• 31-01-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone know what this place is like? I pass it every now and then and was thinking of popping in some time. Looks like a real 'locals' bar, but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience there..

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Goodgolfer

It is real local pub with friendly staff and locals. Also a great pint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xuan xuan

I've popped in a couple of times, and never a bit of bother.

+1 on the goodness of the Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Played darts there many years ago, A good little local...Dont know about know with all the changes in the area....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well I appreciate the replies folks, but I've managed to suss it out for myself since I posted the original question.. 4 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Well I appreciate the replies folks, but I've managed to suss it out for myself since I posted the original question.. 4 years ago!

Well ya didnt get killed on your first visit so alls wells that ends well..you can reccomend the pub then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Great spot. Started drinking there back when it was Tony Burkes. Mates painted a Guinness pint on the outside wall one summer. Never any trouble when I was there unlike the one at the bottom of the street and the one that use to be across the street. Funny but possibly libelous story as to why he had to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Degsy wrote: »
    Well ya didnt get killed on your first visit so alls wells that ends well..you can reccomend the pub then? :)

I've since moved in with the gf over the opposite corner of the city (D8).. so it's been a while since I was in. Yeah it's a grand spot alright, friendly chatty barstaff/locals.. decent pint. Jacks were manky, but i'm not squeamish ;) Wouldn't hesitate to pop in again.

Not quite as cool as The Welcome Inn down the road though..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Goodgolfer wrote: »
    It is real local pub with friendly staff and locals. Also a great pint!!

Was in it a couple of times as an oul pal used to work behind the bar.

My brother was over for the weekend a few years ago,and we were going to the Ambassador for a gig,so we called in for a few pints.My pal behind the bar told us to come back after the gig,and he'd "close the doors".

We came back,having a few pints,when this bloke sat on high stool at the bar,said something to the person next to him,and all hell broke loose,he was punched to ground,and then this woman who was sat by herself,done up to nines in her Sunday best,jumped up,started stamping on yer mans head with her heels,and the things that were coming out of her mouth,wouldn't have been out of place on the docks:eek:

People were trying to pull the woman away,but she was giving it socks,eventually,they got him up and out of the door,then that was it.....everyone out.

The other times I've been in there it's been quiet,so make of it what ye will :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

tricky D wrote: »
    Great spot. Started drinking there back when it was Tony Burkes. ... Funny but possibly libelous story as to why he had to sell up.
    I was playing there the night it closed as Tony Burkes. There were people going home with the pictures off the wall. Even the TV was gone by the end of the night.
    It was a real institution. That night the guards called in at about 1:30.
    They were turning a blind eye as they knew Gay was retiring that night,
    and it was practically a family party. They just politely requested he
    turn off the bright neon sign flashing B..A..R.. outside the door.

I drank there for years as Stoneys too, and played fiddle there every Tuesday for years in the mid to late nineties. One of my favourite bars ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Not quite as cool as The Welcome Inn down the road though..

My favourite pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fluffypuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi @fluffypuff . Do you mean how were the guards that night, or how was it when Anto or Gay had it? It was a great local. I was living about 15 minutes walk away, but half the bar weren't even 5 minutes from home!

Advertisement