Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Loophole!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hard Larry wrote:
    The best way to beat the system is not get in it. If you never start paying it they wont find ya. But thats disturbing about NTL grassing you up surely they are violating some privacy law there.
    Who delivers your NTL bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

thrill wrote:
    Scart can connect to satillite boxes so your t.v. set is still capable of recieving wireless signals.

Then technically, you'd have to pay a tv licence for a PC monitor that has composite in or s-video in too, but you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Mossy Monk wrote:
    pay your tv license you tight fisted bastard

LOL, nice reply ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Zapho wrote:
    Then technically, you'd have to pay a tv licence for a PC monitor that has composite in or s-video in too, but you don't.

Don't worry they are trying to change the law in that regards.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    You do know that the "detector van" didn't actually detect anything? It was just used to scare people into thinking they'd caught if they didn't get a license.

Not true at all. Some nice tech on it...
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/detection/index.htm

There are also ways to view PC monitor screens from a distance as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That link doesn't seem to work, Hobbes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

LicenCe.

Unless you go to high school and drive to the mall to get gas.

The broken set provision covers everything - move on, focus your energies elsewhere, stop being so mean-spirited about having to pay for Irish 'programs'. Or 'shows' - sorry.
    Welcome to the grown up world of taxation for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supergrip

EricM wrote:
    Yes but digital tv does not require a tuner.
    So it is possible to have a TV/computer/etc.. without a tuner and still watch NTL digital or sky digital.

The new revisions to the act (im not sure if they are actually put into law yet) still require the device to have a RF receiver/tuner.

yes it does. the tuner is in the STB. Tuner none-the-less. Without a tuner of some sort, regardless of where it is located, you will not be able to watch digital or analog tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

EricM wrote:
    Since I am renting my apartment i guess they got my name from NTL.
    Nah, with the Data Protection Act in place it's not possible for them to do this. Cablelink used to dob people in alright, but that was before Data Protection. It is however very possible for the guy doing the inspection to ask the postman who is currently receiving letters at any address without a licence. Armed with a name, they simply send out the letter.

The only way to avoid paying is to get rid of all TVs from the house and invite an inspector in to show him you have none. That should stop the letters for a while but they'll probably start again after a bit.

Shouldn't the embarrassment alone be enough reason for you to get a licence and stop being a TV sponger? Oh the shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jor el wrote:
    Nah, with the Data Protection Act in place it's not possible for them to do this. Cablelink used to dob people in alright, but that was before Data Protection.
    RTE used to part own Cablelink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

BostonB wrote:
    The detector van detect the signals from a tuner, so they know what you are watching and when you were watching it.

This post made me laugh hysterically.
    jor el wrote:
    It is however very possible for the guy doing the inspection to ask the postman who is currently receiving letters at any address without a licence. Armed with a name, they simply send out the letter.

This does happen. I worked as a postman and often got asked by the license inspectors who lived where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Victor wrote:
    Who delivers your NTL bill?

The data protection act states information can only be used for the purpose it is collected for though doesnt it? NTL sending you a bill and putting your address on it has nothing to do with a tv licence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They don't have to breach the Data Protection Act at all. They just presume everyone has a TV and act accordingly.

Address without TV licence listed = visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

Mossy Monk wrote:

no,... dont give them another penny,... this government taxed us over 100 million last year that they couldnt spend,.... not everybody is minted from the celtic tiger, only a select few and its bloody tough to survive if your not rich and wealthy in todays world.

i can understand needing a licence for a car / motorbike / and even a dog,......but having a licence for a tv is like having to have a licence for a fridge or a dining table.

its absolutely absurd !!! then they tax people 40E a year for having a credit card !!! crazy. never mind the bin charges.

look how this money is being spent and swindled. they want the money out of your pocket and into their's and they dont care what excuse they need to conjure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

no,... dont give them another penny,... this government taxed us over 100 million last year that they couldnt spend,.... not everybody is minted from the celtic tiger, only a select few and its bloody tough to survive if your not rich and wealthy in todays world.

i can understand needing a licence for a car / motorbike / and even a dog,......but having a licence for a tv is like having to have a licence for a fridge or a dining table.

its absolutely absurd !!! then they tax people 40E a year for having a credit card !!! crazy. never mind the bin charges.

look how this money is being spent and swindled. they want the money out of your pocket and into their's and they dont care what excuse they need to conjure up.

Don't forget the kitchen sink. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

and an arm and a leg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you are on the wrong forum. this thread is about the tv license. society would be better off without you tax dodgers :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MoreBeer

Mossy Monk wrote:

Well said! I couldn't put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the government isn't providing you food for your fridge or dining table. It is providing you channels for your TV.

I agree with you on the credit card ripoff point though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Get a slingbox and a PC monitor. Set the slingbox up at a mates house that pays the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Or just pay the license.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I look forward to reading your election literature!

Advertisement