Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does everyone have a best man and bridesmaids?

Options
  • 15-12-2006 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

The title says it all :) Does everyone have a best man and bridesmaids?

My fiancé and myself are planning our wedding for next year. We both have friends but there are non that stick out that we could ask to be our best man and bridesmaid.

So, we are thinking of not having any at all. We understand that we need someone to sign the registrar but we were thinking of asking my fiancés brother and my sister maybe.

We are just wondering if ppl might think its odd not to have a best man and bridesmaid...would ppl think its sad!? We both said we dont want a full traditional wedding...we want something different...

I just wanted to get ppls opinions here...were you ever at a wedding that didnt have a best man or bridesmaid?

Thanks lads...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

I suppose it is a little unusual and to be honest sometimes its better to go with the flow because everyone is going to ask who is best man, who are the bridesmaids. It depends how sick you will get of it. In theory i guess whoever signs the register could be your parents or something. Could you go with a family member? alot of people dont want to single out a friend from their gang so as a brother/sister/cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Aquitaine wrote:
    I suppose it is a little unusual and to be honest sometimes its better to go with the flow because everyone is going to ask who is best man, who are the bridesmaids. It depends how sick you will get of it. In theory i guess whoever signs the register could be your parents or something. Could you go with a family member? alot of people dont want to single out a friend from their gang so as a brother/sister/cousin

True...

I dont have any brothers and our family aren't that close at all! My fiance's family is the opposite, she has 2 brothers but no sisters and are really close! :)

Its just awkward really...neither of us want to ask someone to do it just for the "sake" of having to have a bridesmaid and best man...the questions about it would be awkward too though! Its a pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

I'm getting married next year and while it is going to be our day you do have to indulge family and friends a bit also. Would you ask her brother to be your best man? If they are close im sure it would mean alot to your fiancee. Maybe she could ask your sister (if you have one) to be her bridesmaid. Its certainly different and i think its always nice when both families are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Aquitaine wrote:
    I'm getting married next year and while it is going to be our day you do have to indulge family and friends a bit also. Would you ask her brother to be your best man? If they are close im sure it would mean alot to your fiancee. Maybe she could ask your sister (if you have one) to be her bridesmaid. Its certainly different and i think its always nice when both families are involved.

Id like to have him as my best man alright...

I wouldnt ask my sisters tho...I know its nice to have both families involved but Im not close AT ALL with my family...wish it wasnt that way but Im different to them... For example, we got engaged about 1 month ago, my sister didnt even call to congratulate me...I mailed her last week and all she could say was "I hear congrats are in order" and thats all.

Im closer to my fiances family than my own...my family bug me that way a lot! But it will make me ensure that Im not that way with my kids when I have them I suppose...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We are getting married in 2 weeks and will not have a best man or bridesmaids - there are only going to be 14 people at our wedding, we are getting marrried at lunch time and I am not in the best of health at the moment, I still think that our wedding will be special, it will still be in a church but it will be small and intimate, who cares about traditions, it is your day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

As CathyMoran said; who cares about traditions, it's you're day! I definitely wouldn't ask someone just for the sake of it but if you had a best man and no bridesmaid it would look a bit weird so it's all or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I wouldnt ask my sisters tho...I know its nice to have both families involved but Im not close AT ALL with my family...wish it wasnt that way but Im different to them... For example, we got engaged about 1 month ago, my sister didnt even call to congratulate me...I mailed her last week and all she could say was "I hear congrats are in order" and thats all.
    Maybe the fact that you chose to share the news by mail might have affected her enthusiasm to call you?

To the OP, you could switch genders. I had a female best-man and male bridesmaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilrayosunshine

We understand that we need someone to sign the registrar but we were thinking of asking my fiancés brother and my sister maybe.
    would you not just ask the two of them to be your bridesmaid and best man?
    You don't have to put them in a flouncy dress and morning suit!
    they can wear what the would've worn anyway but just stand beside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Just remember that it is your day ......... you dont have to do anythng you dont want to.

I would suggest speaking with the preist & asking him if he would be ok with any 2 people signing the register as witnesses. If he is ok then you can go with whatever option you want!

Advertisement