Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

okay, i'm in the middle of putting together my home cinema in my new house. here's a few pics of progress so far. if anyone is interested i can start a thread with updates.

waiting on carpet, hopefully next week...a lot of stuff to do but i'm getting there...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Looking good mossym

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I finally got my integral garage converted into a room a couple of weeks ago. Somehow, I managed to persude my wife to use it as a Home Cinema room as well as a normal sitting room. I am still waiting on my sofa and display cabinet but here goes

I bought the following equipment;

Benq W100 Projector (720p & 1080i): £270 (2nd hand)
    Kef 2005.2 5.1 speakers: £400
    Oppo 971H upscaling DVD player: £83 (2nd hand)
    Yamaha DSP-AX759E Receiver: £221
    6ft projector screen (blackout blind): £35

Click on a thumbnail

p1010079ox6.th.jpg

p1010080jw4.th.jpg

p1010082ua5.th.jpg

p1010083rl9.th.jpg

p1010084qb2.th.jpg

p1010085lj6.th.jpg

p1010088mo0.th.jpg

p1010093ea5.th.jpg

p1010095nb9.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

We extended the kitchen into an open plan kitchen/dining/living area. Heres my 50" Samsung 1080i, looking around for a components for surround at the mo, with sky + in at the weekend. Hopefully up and running soon. I'll keep u posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

That looks very nice Garroldy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I finally got my integral garage converted into a room a couple of weeks ago. Somehow, I managed to persude my wife to use it as a Home Cinema room as well as a normal sitting room. I am still waiting on my sofa and display cabinet but here goes

I bought the following equipment;

Benq W100 Projector (720p & 1080i): £270 (2nd hand)
    Kef 2005.2 5.1 speakers: £400
    Oppo 971H upscaling DVD player: £83 (2nd hand)
    Yamaha DSP-AX759E Receiver: £221
    6ft projector screen (blackout blind): £35

Click on a thumbnail

p1010079ox6.th.jpg

p1010080jw4.th.jpg

p1010082ua5.th.jpg

p1010083rl9.th.jpg

p1010084qb2.th.jpg

p1010085lj6.th.jpg

p1010088mo0.th.jpg

p1010093ea5.th.jpg

p1010095nb9.th.jpg

Nice set up ADING:)

Are those speakers the KEF 3005's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks for all the advice...this is the den... panasonic ptax100e bought on adverts, Yamaha rx-v361 surround sound, computer, ps3 & wii.:D

camera 14-11-07 014.JPG

camera 14-11-07 015.JPG

camera 14-11-07 017.JPG

camera 14-11-07 018.JPG

This is the sitting room, started to run out of funds.. 40" Beko I bought new for €799 last week

camera 14-11-07 021.JPG

camera 14-11-07 022.JPG

camera 14-11-07 024.JPG

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Garroldy wrote: »
    We extended the kitchen into an open plan kitchen/dining/living area. Heres my 50" Samsung 1080i, looking around for a components for surround at the mo, with sky + in at the weekend. Hopefully up and running soon. I'll keep u posted.

Hi Garroldy,

where did you get that unit above the tv?? any links to the manufacturer website??

im looking for something exactly like that to store DVDs.

cheers
    moe

Hi Mossym,
    I really like the look of the screen you have, where did you get it ?, at the moment I am just using the wall, the picture is alot better than I expected
    But it has to improve with the screen.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

lucky i had a subscription to this thread or i'd never have seen your question. don't come in here anymore..

carada screen, shipped from the states, excellent quality for not a lot of money(compared to some makes). think mine cost around 700 dollars for 110" before taxes and shipping...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

Depends whether you eant a manual or motorised screen and also whether you want 4:3 or 16:9?

Pull down screen 100" diagonal 2030 x 1520 cm = é199

Motorised screen 120" diagonal 2338 x 1755 = é500
    Remote control add another é100 (i.e. not use manual switch)

Sky is the limit when it comes to screens in terms of quality and price!

By the way mossy.. your screen looks superb!

cheers, part of the reason for buying this house was to have a room to put a fixed large screen in. blows me away every time. if you have to hide the screen there are some excellent options out there, but nothing beats a fixed screen

Mossym
    I was happy with my set up until I had a good look at your screen, is it the 16:9 size that you have ? and is the measurement diagonal ?
    If so I got a measure of 111"
    Do you know the Carada model you went for ?
    Any tips welcome,
    Thanks

here are the details from my order

1 PROJECTION-SCREEN-H110C 110 Inch Diagonal Criterion Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1
    Unshipped

Projection Screen Material Classic Cinema White
    $764.88

as you can see i went with the criterion, which is the slightly more expensive one, but i figured you can change your projector whenever you want, but get a decent enough screen and it should be good for quite a few projectors. i'm happy out with the setup, the screen is top notch. i've got a panasonic ax100 on the ceiling at the moment, and the image quality is excellent. transofrmers shown above is from hddvd

Thanks for all that info, the screen looks class, more expensive than I expected but I'm telling myself the euro is strong against the dollor :)

same as everything, there are cheaper, depends on quality you want i guess.oh btw that price is unshipped...think it was200 extra for shipping to ireland. i had a friend who was moving home from america bring it in his container for me so only cost me to get it delivered in america..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Been looking at this forum with interest for a while now, just got my new Xbox installed and figured it's now good enough to be shown. (It's 'Hot Fuzz' HD DVD on the telly and the photos don't do any justice to the actual picture quality)

My install is fairly basic, can't afford much of a budget while still in college(a lot of it is second hand). The kit is as follows:
    TV: Sony 40' LCD 40S2010
    Surround: Sony 5.1 HT-DDW790
    Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite with HD DVD add on, 60GB Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii
    Switcher: Joytech 245C
    Sky HD
    DVD-K9 Multi region player
    and a Logitech Harmony 525 to control them all

My set-up

Also in the slide show is my signed poster for Donnie Darko, bought at auction a couple of years ago.

Dunno what people think about this place, whether they have any suggestions or comments...or if you'd like to see more photos.

BTW, mossym, love that home cinema you got going, one day I'll have something to rival that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Where did you get that TV stand Johnny and how much was it? I've the same amp as you and when I setup I realised there is now no space for my XBox and the DVD player. So they're on the floor!

Also, mind if I ask how you are connecting all that up to the mains? Did you get a special extension leed for those appliances? I'm using two extension leads plugged into two sockets for eight appliances. And it's a mess of wires and cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Looks like a stand from Sony Centre.

That's a fairly decent setup... and on a student budget! :eek: I'd like to see what you could do when you are earning a decent wage.... :)

• Advertisement

silvine wrote: »
    Where did you get that TV stand Johnny and how much was it? I've the same amp as you and when I setup I realised there is now no space for my XBox and the DVD player. So they're on the floor!

Also, mind if I ask how you are connecting all that up to the mains? Did you get a special extension leed for those appliances? I'm using two extension leads plugged into two sockets for eight appliances. And it's a mess of wires and cables.

The stand is a Serano 1050, I think it was bought in Curry's (that was a second hand buy too) and the stuff is all hooked up much like yours, it was a mangle of extension cables. It's all been relocated recently so I've made it much neater than the old. I'll have pics up as soon as I have it all properly installed (bodged:)).
    JDxtra wrote: »
    Looks like a stand from Sony Centre.

That's a fairly decent setup... and on a student budget! :eek: I'd like to see what you could do when you are earning a decent wage.... :)

Cheers :D, I got very lucky with my summer/part-time job.

Does that Harmony remote work with the PS3, the Xbox and Sky?

How do you find it? I've five remotes and the moment and they're always going missing

silvine wrote: »
    Does that Harmony remote work with the PS3, the Xbox and Sky?

How do you find it? I've five remotes and the moment and they're always going missing

The Harmony works with everything except the PS3 and WII, it's made my life a lot easier to have it there. I have the bluettoth remote for the PS3, which is a bit of hassle but it's better than having 4/5 different remotes to press to change inputs etc...

I've recently upgraded my remote to a Harmony 785, so my 525 is going spare. I'll be putting it up on adverts in about a week or so... I'll be having a bit of a clear out of some of the old stuff to make way, and pay, for some new gear.

Cool, keep me posted about when you put the ad up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I recently got a solid oak TV unit in Dunnes of all places to replace my crappy Argos one. It was reduced from €750 to €375 in the January sale. Anyway I wanted to hide all my AV gear so I fitted some doors - white lacquered glass from Myra Glass on Clanbrassil St (€48 for the pair). I'll be taking the back off tomorrow to let a bit of air in for ventilation. Also foolishly bought this thinking that the remote signals wouldn't pass through the glass - they did:mad:. So if anyone wants to buy it I'll be putting it up on adverts.ie soon (unless I get any offers here - PM me!)

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

Nice setup digitaldr, very tidy. If I could keep mine as refined as yours I would be a very happy man...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks all I need now is Sky HD!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Lads, I thought mine was GREAT until I saw some of the projectors and screens here :( lol

Spec list...
    Sony Bravia FULL 1080p HD 40" LCD
    Sony "All in One" Surround Sound
    Sony Playstation 3 (60gb for PS2 games)
    Sky + (Gonna wait for Sky HD to 'lose' the extra subscription)
    And best of all......... not a cable in sight!

THE TV (Looks really small on the wall 'cos it's a big room!)
    DSC00617.jpg

The Clutter in the corner :)
    DSC00618.jpg

Front Left / Right speakers with cables hidden (thanks to my mate Ray for a genius solution!)
    DSC00619.jpgDSC00620.jpg

One of the Rear Speakers
    DSC00622.jpg

How the cables come out from under the beading!
    DSC00624.jpg

Loving the wire free set up, what have you got there at the front to keep the wires in (it doesn't look like you've put them through the wall).

I'm tempted to do the same permanent set up in mine, but I'd be a bit worried when I to go and move/remove any of the stuff that it'd leave behind a lot of mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

johnnyflav wrote: »
    Loving the wire free set up, what have you got there at the front to keep the wires in (it doesn't look like you've put them through the wall).

:eek: GUTTED :( that you noticed the cables are there lol

Just stuck them into the corners with A LOAD of painters mate, smoothed it down, let it set and painted over... It looks invisible in reality, but in photos you can see it, perhaps the shade of paint was from a different batch, or something that the eye can't see but a camera can.... I have the luxury of an attic in my apartment, and directly behind the Sky Box etc is a cupboard so i ran all the cables into that, up the wall, across the attic and back down inside the wall to the TV.

Cable wise in the wall i have installed:
    2 x HDMI (only 1 in use to PS3)
    2 x Scart (only 1 in use to Sky Box)
    1 x Coax (to Aerial for DTT to TV)
    2 x Coax (to Dish for Sky+)
    1 x Speaker (for centre speaker when fireplace arrives)

That's it then.
    I'm tempted to do the same permanent set up in mine, but I'd be a bit worried when I to go and move/remove any of the stuff that it'd leave behind a lot of mess.

The painters mate will just peel off if you do decide to leave in the future, or leave the cables there for the next person, so they can just put there own speakers in!

Advertisement