Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA or RCA for Projector input?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

Mods - Move this if it's in the wrong place (sorry!)

Guys,
    Got my hands on a Projector for XMas. I basicly want to set-up a budget big-screen TV for myself. I already have a 5.1 sound system from the PC, so I reckon the best thing is to play DVD's through the PC (Seems easier)

Just a few small questions:
    1) I will be using VGA out from the PC (Card only has VGA out), I presume using a splitter (one for the monitor, other for projector) will be fine?
    2) I will need to run the cable about 5meters.. Is this OK?
    3) Aswell as normal VGA extension cables, I have spotted VGA to RCA Cables. Is there any advantage of using the RCA input on the projector as opposed to the VGA? (It also has S-Video, but my graphics card doesn't have S-Video out)

OR

Would I be better off buying a graphics card with S-Video output, and using the S-Video input on the Projector?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

VGA is far far far better than S-Video or Composite.

It's pretty much the exact same as RGB Component though, so I'd say stick with the VGA cable.

If possible get a new cheapo graphics card with 2 vga outputs, almost every single card has them, I can't imagine a splitter being a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

VGA is far far far better than S-Video or Composite.

It's pretty much the exact same as RGB Component though, so I'd say stick with the VGA cable.

If possible get a new cheapo graphics card with 2 vga outputs, almost every single card has them, I can't imagine a splitter being a good thing.

Thanks for the info, never knew VGA was better than S-Video.

In college all I see is VGA splitters (one for projector, one for lecturer screen), they seem to work well, but having said that it's not as if they do be doing much, just slideshow's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Oh VGA all the way.
    Afaik, VGA is good for 10 meters.

S-video will be handy if you have a DVD that has an output that's S-video, as its better than the RCA (yellow, composite)

Composite

S-Video

VGA

Some other PJ's even have a DVI, which again is a step better

In terms of quality ranging from worst to best:
    Composite----S-Video----VGA

Cheer's Sparky - I must check on the weekend if the projector has a DVI in, that would be sweet alright. VGA seems to be the way to go for me so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thumbs up for vga too.

check out the htpc forum while your at it
    theres plenty more you can do with your pc besides just playing dvds...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    thumbs up for vga too.

check out the htpc forum while your at it
    theres plenty more you can do with your pc besides just playing dvds...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

See i'm in college during the week, and hardly have time to p1ss on the weekend, never mind watch DVD's etc.. It's just that I have a nice projector and a PC, and will soon has something to shien the projector on, so may aswell use it! Cheers for the heads up, will have a read when I get the chance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I've been running VGA over a 10m cable over the last few years with a variety of projectors with no issues - it should work fine.

The Ritz

The Ritz wrote:
    I've been running VGA over a 10m cable over the last few years with a variety of projectors with no issues - it should work fine.

The Ritz

Sweet, do you think running a VGA splitter would be a bad idea, or does it make a difference? They do it here in college and it seems to work fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I've never used a splitter, I have a pc dedicated to use for my projector so the need hasn't arisen. In any event most graphics cards I've had have had two outputs so a splitter wouldn't have been needed if I did want to run two monitors.

I think that a dual output graphics card is probably a better bet if you have to run two monitors.

The Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I agree with the ritz. I'd imagine if you had a splitter on the one line with the distance you are planning, the demand will be greater and the signal may drop.
    I havn't tested this however, so I wouldn't know fully.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, using a PC to play dvds will give far better results than using a dvd player - just make sure to set the resolution on the PC to match the resolution of the projector - if the projector is 1024x768, then set the PC resolution to that - this gives what is known as a 1:1 pixel map - the projector doesn't have to "scale" (i.e. resize) the image coming from the pc - this gives a very sharp clear picture. You can use Powerdvd or Windvd as your software player (or any of a myriad of other programs, depending on your taste). When using the software player, go into the Video settings in the software and "tick" the "Hardware Acceleration" setting, set all other settings to normal or mid-settings. Dvd playback heaven................

This is prolly more appropriate to the HCPC/Media PC side of the house, but the OP is more likely to see it here....

Ritz.

Advertisement