Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos: Hardware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

.243 what a beauty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

cheers lads,just to let yis know the picture isnt flipped its a left hand ejection gas operated,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hi all, i have an Interest in Shooting, will get a Rifle one day, until then i have the pleasure of using this at the pleasure of The Dept Of Defence.:)

AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Regards
    Dave.

.243 wrote: »
    christmas just came early,whoo-hoo !!!!!!!

Lovely weapon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Tut tut; firearm, not weapon.

• Advertisement

Tut tut; firearm, not weapon.

It is indeed a weapon and a fine one too, i love the smell of cordite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

i love the smell of cordite.

Firing a Long Lee Enfield with original ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Steyr wrote: »
    It is indeed a weapon and a fine one too, i love the smell of cordite.

while this is personal abuse, your a twat its a firearm!! stop givin us a bad name because you fancy yourself as some sort of rambo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

I think you will find that it is both a firearm and a weapon.

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it's the fu[king overtaking lane. :mad:

• Advertisement

civdef wrote: »
    Firing a Long Lee Enfield with original ammo?

No 5.56MM NATO (.223rem), The round i use in the Steyr AUG A1. 30rd Magazine, The effective range of fire is anywhere between 450-500 meters with a standard assault rifle barrel and the rate of fire is 650 rounds per minute.

newby.204 wrote: »
    while this is personal abuse, your a twat its a firearm!! stop givin us a bad name because you fancy yourself as some sort of rambo!!

Your Sir are an Idiot, it is an Effective Modern Weapon, and furthermore i do not fancy myself as some sort of "rambo" as i am a member of the Irish Defence Force. The abuse here to a newbie is unreal. pathetic really if you read my first post you would see i stated i use the Steyr in the DF and have an Interest in shooting. Now please cop on. How exactly do i gave you a bad name by saying i have an interest?

NB i also suggest you educate yourself as a “firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

FFS lads , it's Christmas Day!
    Peace on earth and all that.

The petty name calling stops now.
    Because of the day that's in it, I'll leave it at that, but any more outbursts like this will earn infractions or bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

nice one rovi.
    heres what santa brought me

yaya001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

2138194819_a3806a0ae6_o.jpg

2138974426_0f4420fed7_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

No 5.56MM NATO (.223rem), The round i use in the Steyr AUG A1. 30rd Magazine,

I think he knows that. I think he also knows no-one uses cordite in 5.56mm NATO.

Sandy22 wrote: »
    I think he knows that. I think he also knows no-one uses cordite in 5.56mm NATO.

:p Legacy Weapons !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

No 5.56MM NATO (.223rem), The round i use in the Steyr AUG A1. 30rd Magazine, The effective range of fire is anywhere between 450-500 meters with a standard assault rifle barrel and the rate of fire is 650 rounds per minute.

Effective individual range plus or minus 300 yds, effective section fire plus or minus 600 yds. 650 rounds per minute is the theoritical rate of fire. Bull**** baffles brains, but not here !

Welcome to our little cauldron. Don't take it personally, they're a friendly bunch really :D

Effective individual range plus or minus 300 yds, effective section fire plus or minus 600 yds. 650 rounds per minute is the theoritical rate of fire. Bull**** baffles brains, but not here !

Welcome to our little cauldron. Don't take it personally, they're a friendly bunch really :D

:p Whats the most you have fired on the AUG? I managed 6 Mags with 29 in each Mag, just because we had and i quote my CQMS "too much ammo left over".;) Targets were down as we were finishing up so it was me and 5 others, using "effective fire" into the Butts...

I wont complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NB i also suggest you educate yourself as a “firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm

Two small items.
    First, in a firearm the projectile is powered by burning a propellant. Otherwaise all sorts would be included. It has no implications here, but if we are going to be tosing definations about, at least we should be accurate.

Second, a firearm is one that is capable of "causing serious bodily injury or death to a person". A weapon is an object that actually does it. The distinction is why you were called up on it.

don't take it personal, its just that there are alot of firearm/weapon bashers about. Anyway, welcome

• Advertisement

:p Whats the most you have fired on the AUG? I managed 6 Mags with 29 in each Mag, just because we had and i quote my CQMS "too much ammo left over".;) Targets were down as we were finishing up so it was me and 5 others, using "effective fire" into the Butts...

I wont complain.

My favourite thing was full mag (30) on full auto in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

a “firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm

interesting

may i throw a couple of words out there
    Crossbow, barrel?
    airsoft, serious injury?, could hit your eye
    pea shooter, oww my eye, my 5 year old just hit me in the eye wit his

and on the styer, 90 round drum full auto, and 5000 rounds in one sitting

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

maglite wrote: »
    Crossbow, barrel?

I'd say this is only a firearm in the context of the Firearms Act(s) since crossbows are explicitly included in the definition of "firearm".

The dictionary definition of "firearm" that I have is:
    firearm n. (usu. in pl.) a gun, esp. a pistol or rifle.

and for completeness:
    weapon n. 1 A thing designed or used or usable for inflicting bodily harm (e.g. a gun or a cosh). 2 a means employed for trying to gain the advantage in a conflict (irony is a double-edged weapon).

By those definitions a firearm is a weapon (as are many otherwise innocuous things - the "usable" part is a flaw in the definition IMHO).

However, many people (myself included) prefer the use of "firearm" or "gun" over "weapon" when talking about privately held guns because of the implication of intent to cause harm inherent in the word "weapon". For this reason, I would refer to a Steyr AUG as a "weapon" because it's intended for killing people and I'd call a Feinwerkbau 601 a "firearm" or "rifle" because it's intended for non-violent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

interesting

may i throw a couple of words out there
    Crossbow, barrel?
    airsoft, serious injury?, could hit your eye
    pea shooter, oww my eye, my 5 year old just hit me in the eye wit his

Already covered, there was one important piece missing;
    Mellor wrote: »
    Two small items.
    First, in a firearm the projectile is powered by burning a propellant. Otherwise all sorts would be included. It has no implications here, but if we are going to be tosing definations about, at least we should be accurate.

Add that to the above and it covers a firearm,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

My new baby at the back, Tikka 223 lite, Remington 1100 at the front and a 9mm Beretta 92f in between

My new baby at the back, Tikka 223 lite, Remington 1100 at the front and a 9mm Beretta 92f in between

Tikka looks very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

yes, i really took a shine to this gun in the shop, the threads here helped me make up my mind

My favourite thing was full mag (30) on full auto in one go

We were/are still never ever allowed 30 in the Mag just for safety etc but thats just our CO's decision.

You mean Steyr...Dont you? 5,000rds? your the first one ive ever heard of doing that, did you change barrels? Id love to know more thanks.

• Advertisement

We were/are still never ever allowed 30 in the Mag just for safety etc but thats just our CO's decision.

30 or 1 in mag is perfectly safe. It's the fool holding rifle is the problem

Advertisement