Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my set up please !

Options
  • 21-11-2006 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi folks ;

First time posting on this board and may i say hello to everyone !!

I need your help please !

I have bought myself a new 42" samsung lcd TV

also i bought a samsung dvd recorder
    i problem is the set up and if i need more equipment or not ?

i have connected both the dvd recorder and my sky box ( only used for FTV tv ) straight to the tv using scart cables ?

both work perfectly fine. the tv cable ( basic ntl ) is then connected into the back of the tv and tuned into that.

My question is do i need to connect the tv cable straight into the dvd recorder ? and then run another cable from this to my tv ?

are the scart cable correctly configured and should there be one running from the sky box to the dvd recorder ?

also is there more equipment the would optimise my viewing pleasure ? is there any devices ( sound or other wise ) that would be of benifit ?

am i right to be using scart cables in the first place ?

sorry for all the questions but im a bit of a newbie at all this ?

thanks in advance for any help !!!

cheers !
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

May be wrong but this is what I think

Yes, your ntl aerial cable should go directly to your dvd recorder. Then the dvd recorder should connect to the tv with a similar coaxial cable. This passes the signal to the dvd recorder so it can use its own tuner and record and then it passes the signal to the tv so it uses its tuner to display basic analogue picture.

You then also need to connect the Sky Box to the dvd recorder using scart. This allows your dvd recorder to record off the Sky Box. The Sky Box should be tuned in as an AUX or EXT channel.

Connect the dvd recorder and sky box directly to your tv using scarts or if your dvd recorder has progressive scan or an upscaler, you connect using component leads (red blue green connections) or HDMI.

So now you should be able to see all the stations on the normal channels on your tv i.e RTE 1 on 1, RTE 2 on 2 etc. On EXT 1 you should see your dvd recorder and on Ext 2 you should see your Sky Box (or the other way around).

On Ext 1, going through the stations on your dvd recorder you should see RTE 1 on 1 etc but on Ext 1 on the recorder or AUX you should see the Sky Box.

If you connect using component you will see a 'COMPONENT' flash up in the same way EXT 1 comes up when using the source button on the remote.

Hope that's someway clear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ryaner77

cheers mate !

let the games begin !

Advertisement