Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland under threat ?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

When watching the BBC news last night I saw how these radicals are recruiting more and more young people to do their dirty work, however when an undercover news reporter sat in on some meetings and telephone calls one of the Main streamers had said that Dublin was under threat because of our involvement with America - allowing the Americans to fuel up their jets or what ever else they are doing!

It Kinda got me thinkin then -
    Is Ireland under threat from these Terrorists ?
    Is there anything the Irish government can do to stop it ?
    And if it does happen does Ireland have the balls sorry resources to go after these extremists ?
    And seriously what would Bertie do ?

Is anybody else kinda worried?
    After all we all know someone whos using the airport or a bus or a train ?
    Are we really safe ?

Some might say Im lookin to much in to it ? But am I ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wrap yourself up in cotton wool and rock back and forth slowly. You'll survive anything ...

In all honesty, claiming that we're under thread for x, y, or z is a moot point. To the kind of people involved in this whole "war on (of) terror", everyone's a target. If you're not muslim well then it's all good and well since you're an infidel brutally oppressing muslims by breathing. if you're a muslim you're going to be a martyr simply because you're an innocent victim of a deranged religious nutjob.

Of course, the reverse is equally true of the religious fruitloops on the other side of the equation.

Stop living your life in fear of what may never come to pass. If it does, there wont be much you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Ireland under threat from these Terrorists ? --YES
    Is there anything the Irish government can do to stop it ? ---NOT MUCH ITSELF
    And if it does happen does Ireland have the balls sorry resources to go after these extremists ? -- NO
    And seriously what would Bertie do ? -- LOOK GLUM AND WAFFLE ON

Mike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Dublin" airport could have been substituted with the name of most other aiports and it probably would have got the same response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I was listening to the radio this morning and the carried that story about one Omar Bakri Mohammed who advocates attacking Dublin airport, where, according to one of his brethern "kuffar American forces fly to reach Iraq to kill our brothers" Check it out

Yes indeed. If they can't even do basic research on their target I doubt they could pull of a sophisticated terrorist attack. Even if they did they'd probably hit the wrong target. I'd be a little bit scared if I was working in Casement Aerodrome...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Yes we are a target as is every other western country on the planet. There is nothing you can do to satisfy the terrorists. If it wasn't Shannon airport they would find some other excuse to target us. You could try converting to Islam though..... and growing a really big beard :D Otherwise just get used to living under the threat of Islamic terrorism for the next few generations.

• Advertisement

Anyway if they're so stupid as to not know which airport U.S troops go through, I doubt they'd be clever enough to do much.

That said,these guys are mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes we are a target as is every other western country on the planet.

Unlikely. Haven't seen the documentry yet but if it is the same idiot I saw before on TV they could of done a Brass Eye on him and asked him if lala land is also a target.
    growing a really big beard :D

Actually growing a beard has absolutely nothing to do with Islam.
    Otherwise just get used to living under the threat of Islamic terrorism for the next few generations.

*shrug* we live under many threats on a day to day basis. At the moment dying of heart disease is a bigger threat then any terrorist.

Anyway if terrorists were to strike it is doubtful they would be stupid about and based on previous MO are more likely to hit Dublin airport not because it has troops going through it (it doesn't) but because it would offer a softer target then trying to hit a military one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Tristrame wrote:
    Anyway if they're so stupid as to not know which airport U.S troops go through, I doubt they'd be clever enough to do much.

That said,these guys are mad.

The IRA would still be bombing if the Brits just kept dehumanising them, and killing them.. one day we're gonna have to talk to these human beings oh sorry I mean "lunatic crazed bearded deranged killers"..

Frederico wrote:
    The IRA would still be bombing if the Brits just kept dehumanizing them, and killing them.. one day we're gonna have to talk to these human beings oh sorry I mean "lunatic crazed bearded deranged killers"..

Partly true I believe. The problem isn't the dehumanizing of the terrorists but the dehumanizing of the people who share the same demographic.

In Irelands case it had less to do with the dehumanizing of the IRA and more of anyone who was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Macker

Slightly OT but it's interesting reading the opinions here compared to AH where we're all going to die apparently

• Advertisement

Frederico wrote:
    The IRA would still be bombing if the Brits just kept dehumanising them, and killing them.. one day we're gonna have to talk to these human beings oh sorry I mean "lunatic crazed bearded deranged killers"..

Good luck talking to them. They won't be happy till you and everyone you know are living under sharia law and bowing down towards Mecca everyday or I suppose you could become a dhimmi and pay the jizya tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Good luck talking to them. They won't be happy till you and everyone you know are living under sharia law and bowing down towards Mecca everyday or I suppose you could become a dhimmi and pay the jizya tax.

Actually not even Bin Laden has said this.

Frederico wrote:
    Complete Rubbish.
    Such an ignorant post doen't merit much response.

Tristrame wrote:
    Complete Rubbish.

Maybe you'd care to explain how it's "rubbish" or "ignorant" with reason and fact rather than "just cause I say so".

Tristrame wrote:
    Complete Rubbish.

Okkaayy..

Maybe you think that communication between the Brits and the IRA increased the bombing and the violence?

The 'dehumanise and kill' strategy by the US is not working and is actually increasing the threat of terrorism.

sovtek wrote:
    Actually not even Bin Laden has said this.

Its what all these terorists are working towards. They don't try to hide it either. They know they've got the upper hand for now.
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50020
    Welcome to Eurabia 2030 ;) Of course its not just the terrorists. You've got plenty of Saudi oil money flowing in to fund mosques everywhere in Europe like this monstrosity.

Frederico wrote:
    Okkaayy..

Maybe you think that communication between the Brits and the IRA increased the bombing and the violence?

The 'dehumanise and kill' strategy by the US is not working and is actually increasing the threat of terrorism.
    If you knew anything about NI,the main players realised that the carry on up there was becoming futile which is not a realisation that's going to come too quick to suicide bombers (there were very few of that ilk involved in the North if any,in fact there was none of that type of fanaticism up north only a few mistakes where bombers blew themselves up).

Talking to Alqueda and talking to the IRA is so so so different.

Theres no point in having a discussion on comparing the two types of terrorist if you think they are so equal that the same strategy will work with both.
    They are completely different,ones a tiny mouse and the others a big fat rat in terms of their extremism.

Tristrame wrote:
    If you knew anything about NI,the main players realised that the carry on up there was becoming futile which is not a realisation that's going to come too quick to suicide bombers (there were very few of that ilk involved in the North if any,in fact there was none of that type of fanaticism up north only a few mistakes where bombers blew themselves up).

Talking to Alqueda and talking to the IRA is so so so different.

Theres no point in having a discussion on comparing the two types of terrorist if you think they are so equal that the same strategy will work with both.
    They are completely different,ones a tiny mouse and the others a big fat rat in terms of their extremism.

The suicide bombers, the financiers, the brainwashers, the ideologies, the society surrounding the bombers and these people, the general public feeling..
    Its very complex..

The same strategy? what strategy do the Americans have now.. is it currently working? the answer is no. Will it ever work? the answer is no. The US strategy is barely containing Islamic terrorism at best.

We need to talk and we need to drive a rift between muslims and extremists, not muslims and ourselves. We need to hit the extremists hard, but surgically, not with a giant blunt object like the Americans have done. You don't drag a net through Afghanistan picking up shop vendors and taxi drivers hoping to catch a few terrorists and somehow think its gonna make the problem any better.

Frederico,I'm really only taking issue with the direct comparison with the IRA,I dont think it's a valid one as the mindset of an Alqueda terrorist is so much different.

I wouldnt argue with the merit of your later points.

Tristrame wrote:
    Frederico,I'm really only taking issue with the direct comparison with the IRA,I dont think it's a valid one as the mindset of an Alqueda terrorist is so much different.

I wouldnt argue with the merit of your later points.

Fair enough

I just wouldn't rule out dialogue ever, whether it be the IRA, North Korea, the LRA in Uganda, Farc, Hutu's, drug lords, Islamic suicide bombers.. sometimes its just alot easier to draw lines than it is to swallow pride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This is merely scaremongering, I really don't think there is any potential threat, and if there was a threat it is due to the fact that our so called "neutrality" isn't all that neutral in the case of the "War on Terror"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Hobbes wrote:
    The problem isn't the dehumanizing of the terrorists but the dehumanizing of the people who share the same demographic.
    That’s a sensible comment.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Actually growing a beard has absolutely nothing to do with Islam.
    Beards are not exactly crucial to this whole agenda. So I don’t see the need to pretend they’ve nothing to do with Islam.
    "Growing a beard is considered a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is also one of the great legacies inherited from all of the previous prophets and messengers of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us: “Grow your beards and trim or clip the moustaches.” In light of such precedents, most of the past scholars and Imams go as far as declaring that growing a beard is obligatory on males.

What we stated above makes it clear that no Muslim should take the issue of the beard lightly. At the same time, we must also state categorically that one should not conclude from what has been said earlier that growing a beard in Islam has the same religious significance as that of the other prescribed rituals. This is definitely not the case. Thus it is important for us to recognize that we are not allowed to ostracize men who do not have beards nor are we to question their basic faith.

Its what all these terorists are working towards. They don't try to hide it either. They know they've got the upper hand for now.
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50020
    Welcome to Eurabia 2030 ;) Of course its not just the terrorists. You've got plenty of Saudi oil money flowing in to fund mosques everywhere in Europe like this monstrosity.

And bin laden offered a truce

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4743768/

They won't be happy till you and everyone you know are living under sharia law and bowing down towards Mecca everyday or I suppose you could become a dhimmi and pay the jizya tax.

Actually thats not what they have said their aims are at all.

As I understand it AQ aims are...
    1. Remove Americans out of all Muslim nations.
    2. Remove American influence also.
    3. Destroy Israel
    4. Topple pro-western dictatorships in the middle east.

Although OBL himself has said he would unite all muslims and establish by force an Islamic nation ruled as the first Caliphs.But thats not the same as taking over every country in the world.

Sorry but we aren't that important enough. I am sure they will get around to what you are saying sometime.

Schuhart wrote:
    Beards are not exactly crucial to this whole agenda. So I don’t see the need to pretend they’ve nothing to do with Islam.

As I said you pointed out in what you quoted you don't need a beard to be a muslim, nor is it required.

Frederico wrote:
    Fair enough

I just wouldn't rule out dialogue ever, whether it be the IRA, North Korea, the LRA in Uganda, Farc, Hutu's, drug lords, Islamic suicide bombers.. sometimes its just alot easier to draw lines than it is to swallow pride.
    Well I think something might be happening in terms of talking to countries such as Iran and Syria rather than just dismissing them as an axis.
    I dont think any talking to suicide bombers would do any good, they are too fanatical in their outlook whatever hope there is in talking to governments.

As for Osama Bin Laden and his ilk,I wouldnt take their word as far as I could throw it if it was wrote on Granite.

Now MODERATOR HAT on (Directed at all posters) : The next person that comments adversly on mainstream Islamic religions,their church sizes or anything like that will get a one week ban.
    You can take those kind of discussions elsewhere,I'll leave it up to those that want to talk about that kind of thing as to where ye want to talk about it, but you are not to do it here.
    There will be no further warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Hobbes wrote:
    As I said you pointed out in what you quoted you don't need a beard to be a muslim, nor is it required.
    This is going to be harder than it has to be.

What you said was
    Hobbes wrote:
    Actually growing a beard has absolutely nothing to do with Islam
    "Absolutely nothing to do with" is quite different to saying that Muslims are not required to have a beard. Growing a beard absolutely has something to do with being a Muslim, as it is seen as a good thing to do.

The quote I have posted is saying the equivalent of “many Roman Catholics say the Rosary regularly, but it’s not a requirement”. You are saying the equivalent of “the Rosary has nothing to do with Roman Catholicism”.

This means what you are saying is just plain wrong.

I know some people get unnecessarily apocalyptic about Islam. Oversteer in the opposite direction will not cure that.

Hobbes wrote:
    Actually thats not what they have said their aims are at all.

As I understand it AQ aims are...
    1. Remove Americans out of all Muslim nations.
    2. Remove American influence also.
    3. Destroy Israel
    4. Topple pro-western dictatorships in the middle east.

Although OBL himself has said he would unite all muslims and establish by force an Islamic nation ruled as the first Caliphs.But thats not the same as taking over every country in the world.

Sorry but we aren't that important enough. I am sure they will get around to what you are saying sometime.

What pro western dictatorships would these be? Saudi Arabia? Don't make me laugh. There is nothing pro western about that regime. Sure they'll send over prince XYZ to tell us all the soothing words we want to hear. But back home what they teach in their schools about Europe and America is completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Ireland is not under threat (imo).
    What we are hearing is at most, just a rant by some pathetic, spiteful religious zealots whom instead of ignoring, the media have decided to bandy there comments about in order to sell news.

Little doubt Republican dissidents, Loyalist terrorists, and criminal gangs pose a greater risk to our safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Hobbes wrote:
    Unlikely. Haven't seen the documentry yet but if it is the same idiot I saw before on TV they could of done a Brass Eye on him and asked him if lala land is also a target.

If you're thinking Jon Ronson's documentary 'Tottenham Ayatollah'*, then yep it's the same guy (if in fact it was him speaking). I just watched it a couple of weeks ago and in general, Ronson made him look like a self-aggrandising buffoon.

Anyways, Bakri was responding to a question from someone from "Vigil" (whoever they might be), so if we're going to accuse anyone of being too stupid to know which airport the US troops go through.....
    Newsnight wrote:
    A chatroom has been infiltrated by a group called Vigil, which aims to disrupt radical groups and report back to police and security services.

During an online question and answer session a Vigil member asked Omar Bakri Mohammed if Dublin Airport should be a terrorist target because US troops transit there on the way to Iraq.

The cleric replied: "Hit the target and hit it very hard, that issue should be understood. Your situation there is quite difficult therefore the answer lies in your question."

Listening to the coverage on Morning Ireland today they made it sound like a full-fledged plot had been uncovered.

* had a hilarious scene of him waiting for his fliers in the copy shop with the hasidic dude beside him, both of them eyeing each other up. Bakri turns to the camera, smiles and sheepishly says "A very sensitive moment......".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement