Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

What I thought would be a routine extraction last wednesday turned bad. The oral surgeon/dentist had great difficulty in getting the tooth out, he called for a second opinion and she was unable to make it budge either so the the gum had to be cut. Some gown thing was put on me. Then there was lots of all sorts of scary drilling/sawing/ sounds and feelings of pressure. To cut a long story short, about an hour after I entered the treatment room I had my tooth out and gauze in my mouth. Now having said all that I didn't have any pain during the procedure but it was very uncomfortable.

However I now find myself in immense pain which difene is not taking the edge off. I am pretty sure that I have dry socket:( Have been rinsing with corsodyl and salt water. Would bonjela help ease the pain until I get back to the dental hospital in the morning? It has gotten progressively worse since yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Legend_Steph

Hey everyone. :)
    • The good: I went to a dentist literally 5 minutes around the corner from me about 1 month ago for a check up as before that I haven't been in 5 years. (I'm 20 years old at the moment!) Everything was all good....No cavities or anything. Dentist (female) asked if I have a sweet tooth, I said extremely! She was shocked/surprised in a good way. Thinking about it now I should of made a little joke like "I created the Chocolate Factory in Willy Wonka...." :p
    • The bad: I got told a few of my teeth have been pushed back causing my mouth to be crowded. Also my wisdom teeth are making their way down. Due to the crowdedness it would be recommended for the wisdom teeth to be removed as with no space in my mouth it will just be agony/dangerous (with risk of infections etc.) if I leave them in.
    • The ugly: I am going to talk to 2 different orthodontists in about 2 weeks to see what advice they'd give me, different quotes etc. As I'm going away on holiday in August I'll have to wait until September to get the teeth that have to go removed. I am petrified of needles/injections. Example: When we had to get the Swine Flu jab I had to lie down as I tend to faint/pass out from the fear of them. From what I've read though the majority of peoples experiences have only lasted 20-30 mins. Which isn't that long when you think about it....I'm a fussy eater too so just trying to think of what I could eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

lindtee wrote: »
    What I thought would be a routine extraction last wednesday turned bad. The oral surgeon/dentist had great difficulty in getting the tooth out, he called for a second opinion and she was unable to make it budge either so the the gum had to be cut. Some gown thing was put on me. Then there was lots of all sorts of scary drilling/sawing/ sounds and feelings of pressure. To cut a long story short, about an hour after I entered the treatment room I had my tooth out and gauze in my mouth. Now having said all that I didn't have any pain during the procedure but it was very uncomfortable.

However I now find myself in immense pain which difene is not taking the edge off. I am pretty sure that I have dry socket:( Have been rinsing with corsodyl and salt water. Would bonjela help ease the pain until I get back to the dental hospital in the morning? It has gotten progressively worse since yesterday

My dentist always gave me a prescription for Difene plus an across the counter painkiller when I went through all my dental problems and work last year. Was it a wisdom tooth extraction? I had all mine out last year, had no infection or dry socket but was in serious pain and discomfort for 5-7 days after, so you might not have any infection.

Id say get yourself to a late opening chemist this eve and explain your distress and pain and get a top up pain killer to take with/alternate with the difene.....i cant imagine bonjella will make much difference to be honest. I also found I got some relief from ice wrapped in a cloth on my jaw, pretty much slept (for all the sleep I got) with a block of ice to my face for days. And raise your head on a few pillows so the bloods running away from your face giving less pressure.

I feel your pain, but when you get into the dentist in the morning you'll be on the mend, just have to get through the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Legend_Steph

To people who will be first timers for getting wisdom teeth extracted: I found this really helpful link while trying to calm my nerves down for when I have to get them out myself! It explains everything you need to know. :)

http://www.baoms.org.uk/file.aspx?id=68

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hmm... It seems after my slightly scewed attempt at a wisdom tooth removal my 'impacted' teeth have decided to straighten out! Just broke 2 cusps of my lower left tooth no problem! Now I just have to hope they were the front ones and not the back ones appearing at the front!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Got the other lower wisdom tooth out yesterday and it all went ok:) It took about 20 mins in total, there was no blood, gore, sawing, drilling that there was last time. Pain is minimum and there is very little swelling. Think there was only one stitch put in. So out of 4 wisdom teeth taken out only one caused me problems. I did get a dry socket the last time, and had to go back to get some packing put in and it gave almost instant relief after 4 days of pain:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

ugh went in to get my two lower teeth out yest, and they told me one was impacted badly, and the other side has two wisdom teeth :s.
    FFS I have been referred to get them out publicly, as apparently the surgery would cost about a grand.
    Dont think I have ever been to a doctor and they haven't said, "oh this is an unusual case"
    Cant wait to get them out, in agony, but apparently i can be waiting for over a year.
    anyone gotten this done through DDH oral surgery dept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

emzolita wrote: »
    FFS I have been referred to get them out publicly, as apparently the surgery would cost about a grand.

Nowhere near that even privately. about 300 for one surgical extraction. Very common for wisdom teeth to be impacted, its not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Nowhere near that even privately. about 300 for one surgical extraction. Very common for wisdom teeth to be impacted, its not just you.

Yeah there's the one impacted tooth and the two other teeth on the other side(dodgy wisdom tooth, and extra one that has grown). So maybe its 300 per tooth in my case would be 900? x

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Hi there,

I went to the dentist yesterday and he said I needed 3 wisdom teeth removed - two which would be extractions (€150 each) and 1 surgical extraction (€400).

I'm just wondering is this the average price of getting these procedures? I'm not really familiar with the cost of dental work. I don't have a medical card so would be paying myself.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 marionken

hi joined here to post on this thread, as i had trawled through all the above to see about getting my wisdom teeth removed, I was terrified and should of got them removed last year, I rang a oral hygenist in Maynooth on tuesday, asked for sedation , and yesterday Thursday had the best experience at a dentist i have ever had :D hard to believe, i got iv sedation , dentist was lovely explained everything and listened to me , half an hour later i was finished and no real memory of anything and the three wisdom teeth gone , and it only cost 500 i say" only" as some dentist had quoted a lot more . I would highly recomend this dentist to anyone, not sure i can put up the name of the clinic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

marionken wrote: »
    hi joined here to post on this thread, as i had trawled through all the above to see about getting my wisdom teeth removed, I was terrified and should of got them removed last year, I rang a oral hygenist in Maynooth on tuesday, asked for sedation , and yesterday Thursday had the best experience at a dentist i have ever had :D hard to believe, i got iv sedation , dentist was lovely explained everything and listened to me , half an hour later i was finished and no real memory of anything and the three wisdom teeth gone , and it only cost 500 i say" only" as some dentist had quoted a lot more . I would highly recomend this dentist to anyone, not sure i can put up the name of the clinic :(

Can you send me a PM with the name of the clinic you attended as I have to get a lower wisdom tooth taken out and I like the recommendation you have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

:eek:Can you request the GA? I have to get both bottom wisdom teeth out and the thought of being awake for it is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Jem123 wrote: »
    :eek:Can you request the GA? I have to get both bottom wisdom teeth out and the thought of being awake for it is a nightmare.

You can but IV sedation is quicker, safer, cheaper, more comfortable and more convenient.....

You can but IV sedation is quicker, safer, cheaper, more comfortable and more convenient.....

With the IV sedation would I be aware of what's going on? Don't know if I could cope with hearing drills etc..

Jem123 wrote: »
    With the IV sedation would I be aware of what's going on? Don't know if I could cope with hearing drills etc..

The agent used are the same as those used for scopes etc... You're relaxed to the point of a snooze or at least not giving a hoot about what treatment you are having done. It works really well for oral surgery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

1st time was grand. Didn't really feel any pain, just a lot of pressure when the dentist was trying to extract the tooth and that was it. Like the OP it was over in no time. I lost what looked like a hell of a lot of blood though afterwards throughout the day and felt a little dizzy later on. Otherwise it was grand.

2nd time it was fairly painful as the tooth was in an awkward positon and needed a lot of anesthetic. Multiple tools were needed. It took a lot longer as well than the first time. Wasn't one bit pleasant. Again there was a good bit of bleeding for the rest of the day with some dizziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Getting a lower one out later this week *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

I have had a swollen left cheek for the past 3 days because of my wisdom tooth coming up. To make matters worse i have braces on. Heading to the doctor tomorrow to see whats gonna happen. Dreading it now after hearing so many horror stories. Eeeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marionken

honestly i rang around for a GA and the quotes where enough for a small morgage :( i got the iv and never knew anything till i woke up and trust me i am a very nervous patient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday (got 2 fillings too). Prior to this the whole left hand side of my mouth was very sore for the last 2 or 3 weeks so I eventually went to a dentist (wife forced me!!! :D). Got 2 injections in the gum, waited about 10 minutes for the numbness to set in and them the tooth was whipped out (It broke during the removal,which seems to be pretty common, so that made things a little more awkward). No pain whatsoever during the procedure, didn't even notice the injections.
    My mouth is a little sore today, though I haven't needed any pain killers. Nothing to it. Glad I hadn't read some of the posts in this thread prior to the extraction, however!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Got my 2 lower wisdom teeth out yesterday with sedation. Didnt find that part bad at all. I'm a bit fat faced and sore but not too bad as ive been taking lots of painkillers. my mouth tastes horrible no matter how much cleaning i do. Weirdest thing is half my tongue is still numb though, hoping it comes back soon!

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Got my 2 lower wisdom teeth out yesterday with sedation. Didnt find that part bad at all. I'm a bit fat faced and sore but not too bad as ive been taking lots of painkillers. my mouth tastes horrible no matter how much cleaning i do. Weirdest thing is half my tongue is still numb though, hoping it comes back soon!

Very early days.
    Keep a record of the numbness so that you have the information to decide if it is getting better or not;
    How numb is it? 1-10 cant feel a thing.... to.... just feels a little tingly or funny
    Where is it numb? whole side of tongue, tip, back of tongue....
    Taste ok?

Get a baseline and then you can decide if it is resolving. Most are a few days, others can be months, rare enough but some don't resolve.

Contact your dentist in a few days if still odd...

OS

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Numb from front all the way back on one side, the side with the more difficult wisdom tooth. almost feels like when you burn your mouth on something hot so cant taste anything and i'd say i cant feel very much at all there.
    the last hour or so i have had about 2 or 3 times where i got an twitchy/tickly feeling just near the tip on the numb side so maybe thats good?

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Numb from front all the way back on one side, the side with the more difficult wisdom tooth. almost feels like when you burn your mouth on something hot so cant taste anything and i'd say i cant feel very much at all there.
    the last hour or so i have had about 2 or 3 times where i got an twitchy/tickly feeling just near the tip on the numb side so maybe thats good?

Again, very early days so just keep an eye on it. Some sensation is good, twinges of pain/tingling/electric shock like sensations are a sign of some nerve activity and recovery.
    Now you have a fresh wound with associated swelling, pain, inflammation etc etc, it is impossible to judge the long term recovery until the area begins to settle down. You'll have a better idea of how things are in a few weeks when the area is healed again, but just an idea....
    For now, be careful not to bite on your tongue or hurt yourself with hot food or drink.
    Let your dentist/ surgeon know how you're doing too.
    All the best,
    OS

I am getting 3 wisdom teeth out under GA on Monday. How long should I expect swelling and bad pain to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hi all,
    After a first visit to a new dentist to repair a chipped tooth I was told that I'd need Wisdom teeth extraction.
    This contradicts what my orthodontist told me 6 months ago that there would be no problems with my wisdom teeth.

Anyway, he's told me that I will need to get an X-Ray which will cost me €75 and the extractions would cost around €100-150 each.
    The X-Ray price seems ridiculous! Also from what I've read here I get the idea that if I want anaesthetic it will cost me more?

I hold a medical card too but I don't think that gives me any benefits here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Eathrin wrote: »
    Anyway, he's told me that I will need to get an X-Ray which will cost me €75 and the extractions would cost around €100-150 each.
    The X-Ray price seems ridiculous! Also from what I've read here I get the idea that if I want anaesthetic it will cost me more?

Would you prefer he just start yanking teeth :eek:

You can be sure he/she will be taking a lot of xrays...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would you prefer he just start yanking teeth :eek:

You can be sure he/she will be taking a lot of xrays...

No of course I see why I should get an x-ray but €75 is a mad price for what it is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There is a large nerve that runs close to lower wisdom teeth. Its very important that the surgeon knows the relationship of the tooth to the nerve, unless having a permanently numb face wouldn't bother you.

A wisdom tooth consultation without a proper X-ray doesn't amount to much.

Advertisement