Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

my bottom wisdom tooth popped out over a year ago it looks fine no problems with it but there is still a bit of gum over it is this normal

thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hey All, going to get all 4 wisdom teeth out under GA on Friday. I have been putting it off for years but got referred to a different surgeon who seems really nice, the last guy was a bit of a grumpy b****x. Much happier with this oral surgeon and just looking forward to having it over and done with now. So glad to read above that an infection is worse than an extraction - if that is the case then I am laughing!! I have had some horrible infections, the last one my face swelled up huge and I was in pain for several weeks! I was scared that I was going to be in proper pain for days, I've heard some horrible stories.

Is there any other advice people can give me? I'm going to spend a few days with my parents after it, get my mum to look after me hahaha, then maybe a few more days off work to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Zascar wrote: »
    Hey All, going to get all 4 wisdom teeth out under GA on Friday. I have been putting it off for years but got referred to a different surgeon who seems really nice, the last guy was a bit of a grumpy b****x. Much happier with this oral surgeon and just looking forward to having it over and done with now. So glad to read above that an infection is worse than an extraction - if that is the case then I am laughing!! I have had some horrible infections, the last one my face swelled up huge and I was in pain for several weeks! I was scared that I was going to be in proper pain for days, I've heard some horrible stories.

Is there any other advice people can give me? I'm going to spend a few days with my parents after it, get my mum to look after me hahaha, then maybe a few more days off work to relax.

had mine out about 2 wks ago..

from what i can tell you i got mine done in CUH. was under for i cant really say, once they woke me up in the O.R. they moved me out to a Recovery Room, the pain, was a small bit the doctor gave me a pain Killer, was left in the O.R. Recovery Room for about 30mins moved me into another Recovery room for about 1hr,

i would say you will need about 1wk off work the swelling will peak about day 2. it will take about 3 weeks for the bottom holes will fully heal. I still have my holes in my bottom 2. pain was bad in the Mornings when my mouth was dry, i was waking up late at night with pain (so have painKillers Next to Bed).. try not to eat hard Food till about day 2-3 make sure the Sockets are well clean from food.. other then that i really had no issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I had the operation today. So impressed with the facilities etc. They gave em a general anesthetic and I felt a bit dizzy and next thing I know I wake up with a nurse beside me. No pain really just a little groggy. I had gause inside my mouth which was changed a few times, one side was bleeding so it got changed twice, the right side only once as it was fine. Left the hospital a few hours later and felt absolutely fine, no really pain and I could talk etc fine. Went home to my parents and felt like totally normal - delighted!

I was starving so I had some tomato soup. however, I had a little bread which was soaking in the soup and some got stuck in it unfortunately. I pulled some out and put some gause back in with some saline, however I'm not confident I got it all - and I'm worried some might get stuck in there and get infected. Stupid move eating bread but I was just over confident as I felt so well. Ugh. Nervous now. Any idea what I should do? I don't want to poke at it - but not sure what I should do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Just rinse your mouth very gentle with some salty water,be very gentle this should dislodge any of the remaining bread in the socket.
    I got mine out about two years and felt the same as your self on the first day but for five days after i was in very bad pain and hardly slept for the week but they did have to shave a bone in my gums as well.
    Everybody is different my wife got hers out last year and was back in work after two days with little or no pain and was eating soft foods on day 2 and i could hardly eat for the week.
    Let us know how the next few days turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday under GA.

All is going well. Bleeding stooped today and there is no swelling and very little pain.

The thing is I got it done in Spain and the communication with the denist was not the best. So I looked in my mouth today and there is stitches where the teeth were removed.

I was wondering if some one could tell me whether or not these will dissolve and fall out themselves or will I have to go back to the dentist????

I was still out of my head when when he was telling me what to do after the operation so don't remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

Got upper left wisdom tooth removed today after months of pain... except it was still under the gum and hadnt come through and was not yet visible.My Dentist slit the gum and managed to remove it after 15mins.

Was awake for procedure so the sounds were horrendous due to how deep it was lodged. Due that the gum was slit would anyone advise using warm salty water so soon after the extraction or should i wait 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Realt11 wrote: »
    Got upper left wisdom tooth removed today after months of pain... except it was still under the gum and hadnt come through and was not yet visible.My Dentist slit the gum and managed to remove it after 15mins.

Was awake for procedure so the sounds were horrendous due to how deep it was lodged. Due that the gum was slit would anyone advise using warm salty water so soon after the extraction or should i wait 24 hours?

Don't rinse for the first day.

Lots of warm salt water rinses starting the next day is good.

OS

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday under GA.

All is going well. Bleeding stooped today and there is no swelling and very little pain.

The thing is I got it done in Spain and the communication with the denist was not the best. So I looked in my mouth today and there is stitches where the teeth were removed.

I was wondering if some one could tell me whether or not these will dissolve and fall out themselves or will I have to go back to the dentist????

I was still out of my head when when he was telling me what to do after the operation so don't remember...

It's anyones guess if they are dissolvable or not... you'll need to ask the dentist that one.
    Did they book you for a suture removal or check visit??
    Do you have a post operative instruction sheet to refer to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

It's anyones guess if they are dissolvable or not... you'll need to ask the dentist that one.
    Did they book you for a suture removal or check visit??
    Do you have a post operative instruction sheet to refer to??

All was in spanish and I was still out of it after the GA so don't remember anything they said to me after.

I was hoping someone would tell me that all stitches these days are dissolvable?? No??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

I need to get a bottom wisdom tooth extracted but am worried about damage to the tongue nerves. About 3 years ago I got a cap on a tooth on the same side of my mouth as this tooth and the anisthetic needle damged a nerve with resulted in me having no sense of taste at all for 4 months. Taste gradually returned after that but it was over a year before full taste returned.
    Naturally I'm worried the same thing will happen again. Are some people prone to this or was it likely to be a one off?

Iospir wrote: »
    I need to get a bottom wisdom tooth extracted but am worried about damage to the tongue nerves. About 3 years ago I got a cap on a tooth on the same side of my mouth as this tooth and the anisthetic needle damged a nerve with resulted in me having no sense of taste at all for 4 months. Taste gradually returned after that but it was over a year before full taste returned.
    Naturally I'm worried the same thing will happen again. Are some people prone to this or was it likely to be a one off?

Nerve damage temporary or permanent as a result of non surgical treatment is pretty rare...
    There are 2 possible causes in your case;
    The dentist injected the lingual nerve when numbing you up. This happens from time to time as numbing this area is essentially a blind procedure. It is fairly unlikely that this will happen again.
    Some local anesthetics have a higher incidence of nerve damage than others, so possibly one of these was used. Articane is one of these, it is safe to use but should be used with some caution...

Unfortunately, there is a small risk of nerve damage during lower wisdom tooth removal anyway.
    First, ensure that wisdom tooth removal is the correct treatment for you.
    If so then it needs to be done in the safest way possible.
    Find someone who takes out wisdom teeth regularly....
    Advise then of your history. The reality is that they will probably not change the way that they do the treatment for you (as they will have their technique perfected...) but there may be something that I'm not thinking of that may be apparent until the clinician sees you....

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

The first 3 popped out like they were baby teeth, but my god the last one, well I knew what all the fuss was about there! Nearly needed a kango hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Nerve damage temporary or permanent as a result of non surgical treatment is pretty rare...
    There are 2 possible causes in your case;
    The dentist injected the lingual nerve when numbing you up. This happens from time to time as numbing this area is essentially a blind procedure. It is fairly unlikely that this will happen again.
    Some local anesthetics have a higher incidence of nerve damage than others, so possibly one of these was used. Articane is one of these, it is safe to use but should be used with some caution...

Unfortunately, there is a small risk of nerve damage during lower wisdom tooth removal anyway.
    First, ensure that wisdom tooth removal is the correct treatment for you.
    If so then it needs to be done in the safest way possible.
    Find someone who takes out wisdom teeth regularly....
    Advise then of your history. The reality is that they will probably not change the way that they do the treatment for you (as they will have their technique perfected...) but there may be something that I'm not thinking of that may be apparent until the clinician sees you....

Good luck,
    OS

Thanks. Fingers Xd it won't need to come out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm getting my 4 out under general anaesthetic next Tuesday and I am scared! I went to the dentist in November because I could feel a spike coming through on my upper left and it was very painful. The dentist said she'd have another look in a month to see if they would grow more, if they came in normally she would pull them herself. So I went back in and they hadn't moved but the pain was still bad so she referred me to the Surgeon. They saw me in February and did the x-rays and said my left one was very big compared to the rest, and the bottom 2 were a bit impacted. Is the surgery different if the wisdom teeth are partially erupted? I have 2 spikes down on the upper left, one on the right and another cutting :rolleyes:, and the bottom left is also cutting but that's one of the impacted ones so it's at a weird angle! It's like they knew that they are coming out next week and are getting their revenge! :L

So the big day is next week, and to be honest I am dreading it! In one way I can't wait for the pain to be gone but at the same time I'm afraid of the pain it's going to cause :rolleyes: Does anyone know if you are intubated during the surgery? I think I was when I got my tonsils out because I kept coughing when I came round and it hurt!! Also, does anyone know how long the surgery takes? And any advise for a nervous patient?? Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I'm getting my 4 out under general anaesthetic next Tuesday and I am scared! I went to the dentist in November because I could feel a spike coming through on my upper left and it was very painful. The dentist said she'd have another look in a month to see if they would grow more, if they came in normally she would pull them herself. So I went back in and they hadn't moved but the pain was still bad so she referred me to the Surgeon. They saw me in February and did the x-rays and said my left one was very big compared to the rest, and the bottom 2 were a bit impacted. Is the surgery different if the wisdom teeth are partially erupted? I have 2 spikes down on the upper left, one on the right and another cutting :rolleyes:, and the bottom left is also cutting but that's one of the impacted ones so it's at a weird angle! It's like they knew that they are coming out next week and are getting their revenge! :L

So the big day is next week, and to be honest I am dreading it! In one way I can't wait for the pain to be gone but at the same time I'm afraid of the pain it's going to cause :rolleyes: Does anyone know if you are intubated during the surgery? I think I was when I got my tonsils out because I kept coughing when I came round and it hurt!! Also, does anyone know how long the surgery takes? And any advise for a nervous patient?? Thanks :D

I got mine out in Dec under general anaesthetic, how long did it take i couldnt tell you i had 3 taken out.

The pain after it is not as bad as what the pain is now with the teeth, the first 3 days you will notice alot of Swelling.

it will take about 4 months for the jaw bone to fully heal, for the first 3 days u will find it hard to eat hard food, take in alot of Ice Cream ;).

just make sure you wash out the mouth with hot water 3 times a day,

you will notice a bit of bleeding for the first day try not to go at the holes.

it will take about a week for you face to go back to normal. and the black and blue around the face will go aswell..

Went under this morning, woke up an hour later with 4 teeth still in me :( athsma got bad when they induced the anesthesia so they couldnt take a risk on operating. To say I was upset is an under statement, I am now going to have to endure months more of pain and discomfort while waiting for an appointment with a new surgeon in a hospital better equipped for my needs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Went under this morning, woke up an hour later with 4 teeth still in me :( athsma got bad when they induced the anesthesia so they couldnt take a risk on operating. To say I was upset is an under statement, I am now going to have to endure months more of pain and discomfort while waiting for an appointment with a new surgeon in a hospital better equipped for my needs :(

Sedation is a safer way to have wisdom teeth removed. And causes less respiratory depression than a G.A.

I asked the dentist about it and she strongly advised GA because my teeth are impacted and not fully erupted so it involves all 4 sides getting cut open, drilling away bone and sawing the teeth into pieces to get them out. Ive had no problems with GA before this, yesterday was just an unfortunate experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Thought I would chip in with my two cents worth. I knew 3 years back that I would have to have one of my wisdom teeth out but as it wasn't giving me any real pain I just left it. My dentist warned me not to let it go so that I ended up in real agony. Had a bit of pain last summer and dentist referred me to a place in Sligo. Soon as pain was gone thought no more about the referral and forgot about it...until about 3 weeks back when I was in, yep, real agony.

Serous sharp pain late one Friday night (always the way ) thought my head was going to fall off, awake all night, lessened a bit over the weekend but couldn't chew on that side of the mouth or mega pain returned. Finally had to admit defeat and make the appointment to get it removed.

So, had it done middle of last week. Was s@*~*ing it big time as I hadn't had a tooth out in yonks. Got into the chair and I don't know what I was freaking out about. Didn't feel a thing, the dentist explained everything as they were going along, took about 10 minutes to come out, a few stiches and bob's your uncle.

Got home and when the injection wore off I had NO PAIN whatsoever!!! Didn't need to take one painkiller at all, ever! Felt a bit rubbish that evening and the next day, but I think that was due to the worry of having it done and I was just worn out. Face was a tiny bit swollen a couple of days after and I have a small bruise which I'm quite proud of, but nothing major. Had after op check-up today and feel brilliant.

So, the moral here lads is, when you first get told you need to have a wisdom tooth out, just go and get it done, don't put it off.

Oh yeah, and I used to be scared of ever going anywhere near the dentist, even for a check-up, until I found a really nice, understanding one in my town, and you know what? I actually quite like going in now...sick in the head or what!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kingair

Hi guys

Half of my face is slightly swollen at the moment, very little pain in the area where I have my impacted left bottom wisdom tooth. I'm not feeling a great deal of pain but Im really nervous because my half of my face is feeling swollen but very little pain, its even unnoticeable.

I went to the dentist 2 days ago and he confirmed I have impacted wisdom tooth.

I was just wondering if you had the similar symptoms Im having.

Im kinda scared that the swelling in my face is caused by an infection and would eventually crawl to my brain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I facial swelling is not to be taken lightly there kingair. While it is uncommon to have serious complications from this, its best to remove the source of the infection (the wisdom tooth) ASAP. Antibiotics are only a short term fix and a lot of the time dont work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 joy28

i had the swollen faceon and off every few months. had antibiotics three times in a row then had all four taken out.

I was the most anxoius person ever gettin them out, the dentist even said so but seriously it just needs to be done get them out. i tried for months to try and get rid of the pain myself but nothing worked.

You will feel sore after but then so much better. Y

• Registered Users Posts: 25 joy28

you will be ok dont worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kingair

Thanks for the positive replies, really appreciate it. Actually the tooth causing the problem was my tooth that had root canal 4yrs ago, had it extracted 3 days ago and problem 1 solved.

I will still get my 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted later the day because I've been having tightness in my upper teeth area and a constant pressure in my sinus. Which is problem 2.

My lower left wisdom tooth will also have to be extracted because its impacted slightly and near the nerves.

I will try arnica, ice, and rest combo before and after the extraction and hopefully will get fast recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I am booked into the Cork University Dental Hospital too get my two lower wisdom teeth (which are impacted) removed by an oral surgeon. From reading through this thread and talking to people I have noticed that most people got lower wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic or sedation. I was told during my consultation 2 weeks ago that I would be getting local anesthetic. I was not given the option of anything else. I'm not scared of the getting them removed under local anesthetic, just wondering why most people seem to get GA/Sedation? Two friends I told were :eek: when I told them I was getting local.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mkc

Getting a wisdom tooth out on Thurs morn in the dentists office, bottom tooth. Just wondering should I be ok to drive home after it ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mkc wrote: »
    Getting a wisdom tooth out on Thurs morn in the dentists office, bottom tooth. Just wondering should I be ok to drive home after it ?

IV sedation or local?

If its IV no, local yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

lindtee wrote: »
    I am booked into the Cork University Dental Hospital too get my two lower wisdom teeth (which are impacted) removed by an oral surgeon. From reading through this thread and talking to people I have noticed that most people got lower wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic or sedation. I was told during my consultation 2 weeks ago that I would be getting local anesthetic. I was not given the option of anything else. I'm not scared of the getting them removed under local anesthetic, just wondering why most people seem to get GA/Sedation? Two friends I told were :eek: when I told them I was getting local.

Hey! I got my two impacted lowers out at CUH also by local anesthetic. About 2 1/2 years ago. Was grand! One of them was a bit more complicated as they had to go right into my jaw and cut it in half before they took it out or something. And I remember they had to give me loads of local anesthetic. But overall it was fine. The staff there are really nice too.

I guess it just depends how nervous you are. And how much money you are willing to spend! Seriously though it's not a major operation...took me about 20 minutes. I don't see why anyone would get GA to get wisdom teeth removed. A few of my friends were also a bit shocked that I just got them out under local, but that's because they are pussies :P

Just be sure to follow the aftercare advice properly and if you notice anything weird after a few days visit your dentist! One of my extraction sites got infected and I had to get antibiotics. That was most painful thing really, the extraction itself was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks, Lia Lia. Have my appointment later and your post has eased my mind!

Advertisement