Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on hd screens

Options
  • 14-11-2006 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all. I am looking into buying either an lcd or a plasma screen. I am wondering if anyone knows whats the story with the contrast ratio?? Would it be better the bigger the number is, eg would a 5000:1 screen be much better than a 1000:1? Also with the brightness, is a higher number better?

thanks

dilo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The more contrast the better but its not always that simple. You can't compare Plasma contrast to LCD contrast and some LCD's use dynamic contrast which gives them an unrealistic high contrast ratio. Same with the brightness, if you get a very bright screen it will look fine during the day time but all the black will look grey when you are watching something in the dark which is why alot of screen come with a adjustable backlight now.

What size screen are you getting and what models have you been looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dilo

Thanks ciaran500. I will try and get the specs up soon. What do you think of the aldi 32" coming out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The specs are good and are on par with most of the other LCD screens out now but I don't think I'd be comfortable buying a screen that I can't see running or at least hear other peoples views on it before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I think the picture is best on ntl/pal non hd stations,on plasma tv in regard to ,natural black color reproduction ,and WIDER viewing angles,with a greater level of contrast,color tones with a natural realistic display.ALso all the lcds i have seen have problems displaying fast moving images.The best picture in regard to quality of display ,color clarity,skin tones is displayed by crthd tvs.there are slimfit,true flatscreen,tvs avaidable in dixons 32inch,samsung HDCRT 720,1080i resolution.The tube on that tv is only about slightly larger than a flat lcd tv.IF your main use is for the TV , is to connect to pcs,xbox360 than lcd tvs are better ,make sure it has a dvi and a vga connector.the colors on lcd tvs look very bland,washed out to me in contrast to the detailed realistic color on a crt or a hdcrt tv.YOU can get 42inch plasma tvs in shops,for 1100euro, if you look around ,i seen 1 in powercity last week.Or wait til the january sales,for a discount.That tv has a contrast ratio of 5000/1.THE blacks look MUCH better on plasma tv,with much better contrast .

Advertisement