Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying advice needed

Options
  • 13-11-2006 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys....

I'm in the market to buy a new TV and have been reading the latest on LCD Vs Plasma..I think I've decided on a Plasma..namely the Panasonic TH37PX60B Flat Panel TV. Because of the exorbadant prices we pay for luxury goods here in Ireland I've been looking at UK prices, and even with the conversion from Euro to Sterling I would be able to purchase the same TV up in Northern Ireland for approx 350 quid cheaper, my question is.....

Will a TV bought in the UK have any problems working here in Ireland...I'm sure I read somewhere that problems may occour..but I thought that UK uses PAL signal too?? any info would be much appreciated..
    gandalf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hi Gandalf,
    What source of TV signal do you have, NTL/Chorus/Sky??

Do you have a link for the TV with specs??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gandalf43

Hi tax man..
    currently use SKY..also have a dreambox 500s which I will eventually hook up..does this make any difference??
    cheers
    gandalf

Well Sky will work with any TV.Connection is via scart and doesn't depend on the tuner. Is a dreambox some sort of sat thing??
    The main difference between some UK models is the range of the tuner.
    If you have any sort of analogue input to the TV make sure the tuner has VHF as well as UHF. Some UK sets still only have UHF tuners.
    If at any stage you where to hook the TV up to a cable system(analogue) you'll need the VHF range. 45mhz to 470mhz(ish). eg NTLs analogue service runs from 48mhz to 408 mhz.
    Hope that answers some questions for ya.;)

edit>> just saw the link and it doesn't have a tuner that will work here on analogue. If all your input sources are satellite based it'll be ok but it won't be able to pick anything else up. Specs says it has a digital tuner so that could even rule out UHF stuff. I've no knowledge of digital tuners and what they can and can't pick up but we don't have digital freeview here so probably nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Even if you want to watch TV from an aerial or analog cable, you could just use an old video recorder(that has a VHF tuner), and connect that to the TV. If you're prepared to do that then you can buy any TV regardless of what internal analog tuner it has.

• Advertisement

pH wrote:
    Even if you want to watch TV from an aerial or analog cable, you could just use an old video recorder(that has a VHF tuner), and connect that to the TV. If you're prepared to do that then you can buy any TV regardless of what internal analog tuner it has.

I'd email Panasonic for a full run down on the specs of the tuner and what it can receive.
    edit>removal of stupid statement:D :D

Hi guys...
    thanks for the replys..
    having done some more research I've come across these specs....

" TV tuner
    Tuner Integrated
    DVB Digital Tuner
    Tuning System: PLL synthesizer 100-position auto-search tuner
    Broadcast Stereo Reception: NICAM (FM)
    Receiving System: PAL -I, DVB; AV-NTSC: PAL-525/60, NTSC, M-NTSC"

Looks like it has a PAL-I reciever, so I should be alright to pick up NTL too??
    cheers
    gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

But does a digital tuner pick up a UHF signal from the VCR.:confused:
    How does that matter? This has nothing to do with digital tuners!

If he uses an external analog VHF tuner (for example an old video that he has lying around) and connects this to the tv using a scart cable then it doesn't matter if the tuner built into the TV is UHF only, he can still watch RTE and NTL cable.

Sorry pH don't know what I was thinking there. That came to me on the way into work.Of course use the scart for vcr connection.Above post amended.
    A few too many pints last night. :)

hi guys..
    Still trying to source the cheapest Plasma TV seller..has anybody used this online shop.....www.atv24.de and if so what was the service like..delivery of a 37" plasma is 200 quid..overall the Panasonic TH 37 PV 60 EH works out at 1349 quid inc delivery...almost 450 cheaper than DID..only thing is I dont think there is a PAL-I tuner built in. Any advice!!
    cheers
    gandalf43

• Advertisement
Advertisement