Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esteem

Options
  • 11-11-2006 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

OK, this may need to be moved, but I think this is as good a place to post it as any. It's a bit of wisdom.

Girls are like apples. The best ones are at the top of the tree.

Boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they're afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead they just get the rotten apples that are on the ground, that aren't as good, but easy.

So the apples at the top think that there is something wrong with them, when in reality, they are amazing.

That is why we just have to be a little patient and the right boy, the one
    who takes a chance to find the good, right apple, will come someday...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I don't understand why any girl would hang around waiting at the top of a tree while they could be out scouting other trees (or the like) for the right or, depending on the girls desire, wrong boy on her own terms.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

And you havent taken into account same sex couples at all.
    What kind of a ham-fisted cod philosophy are you peddling here?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

cut down the tree! aka rohipnohyl and enjoy the sweeet sweet apple, aka sweet ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

nipplenuts wrote:
    OK, this may need to be moved, but I think this is as good a place to post it as any. It's a bit of wisdom.

Boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they're afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead they just get the rotten apples that are on the ground, that aren't as good, but easy.

So the apples at the top think that there is something wrong with them, when in reality, they are amazing.

Couldn't agree more mate, the right one is Beautiful! Life is full of people who fall between good and bad. Good for good bad for bad.
    Eg, a couple who are madly in love will grow together and support each other and die and always be together after that in my extremely firm opinion!
    Bad couples cheat, have shallow materialistic views and sometimes have a very unnatractive feature like bad nose etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

upthere wrote:
    Bad couples cheat, have shallow materialistic views and sometimes have a very unnatractive feature like bad nose etc

So are you bad? judging people oh their facial features??? wtf like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

upthere wrote:

how can facial features denote a bad couple? you're talking through your arse. actually, do bad arses denote a bad couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Someone's been getting (and passing on) too many utterly nonsensical forwards. Back to hotmail with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Well, the question then becomes: How do you know if you\'re at the top of the tree and the men are \"afraid\", or if you\'re at the bottom of the tree and the men are avoiding you because you\'re \"rotten\"? I mean, I look in the mirror and I see what I consider to be a fairly attractive young woman. I\'m a little soft around the edges, shall we say, but overall my curves are an asset more than a hindrance. Yet I\'ve been single for a worryingly long time, so how do I know which catagory I fall into?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

nipplenuts wrote:

Yawn!This needs to be moved to the garbage can - it's trite, sexist, sentimental nonsense. Life isn't a tree, women aren't apples; or no more so than men...

That 'wisdom' sounds like a something a Nun might tell the junior cert girls before they celebrate their results, in case they drop their knickers like those dirty apples that 'fall' on the ground etc.

Everyone you meet in life is different to the last and you can't impose simplistic templates on real life experience; Just use your intelligence to judge a situation and take people as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

nipplenuts wrote:

Nonsense Nipplenuts, what about the nice fellas who are brave and do try and reach the apples at the top of the tree, and instead get pushed down to the ground resulting in injury?
    And of course, a lot of girls think they're at the top of the tree when in fact they are not.
    Anyway, you're living in airy fairy land, watching too many chic-flics, spend 6 months in the real world and you'll come back with a realism that is refreshingly disappointing, believe me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'It's easy climb a fallen tree ...'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Is this a PI? It seems we are talking in metaphors from our arm chairs? While metaphors can be instructive, without a real example (a personal issue), this seems more of a philosophy thing?

Someone with a little knowledge of biology could twist this metaphor in a completely different direction. For example, they could say, it's not the placement on the tree that is important for some men (top, middle, or bottom), but rather if the bud has been fertilized by another before them. After all, is not an apple an expanded ovary; i.e., one that has already been fertilized?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

After all, is not an apple an expanded ovary; i.e., one that has already been fertilized?:rolleyes:

That's filth! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

me thinkgs the OP is female, and as maybe liked a few guys who ended up opting for the skank option and she is wondering why and feeling a bit down about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why bother with the tree when you can just buy a bag of them down the shop?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Not a PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Why should the "apple" be waiting around to be picked?
    Can't they be more proactive about things?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dear amp,

Please move this trite nonsense away out of Humanities.

Thanks in advance,

Sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Beruthiel wrote:
    Not a PI

Well we're talking about the apples before they're made into a PI.

I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

upthere wrote:
    Couldn't agree more mate, the right one is Beautiful! Life is full of people who fall between good and bad. Good for good bad for bad.
    Eg, a couple who are madly in love will grow together and support each other and die and always be together after that in my extremely firm opinion!

Thanks for this one - it has had me laughing for whole minutes. I think I'll have to cover up my nose for the rest of the evening!

I don't see how this post has anything to do with... em, sentient thought. G'way out of Humanities please :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The downside of being a good apple is that you never get the maggot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

won't somebody please think of the oranges?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭looksee

yes but oranges are not the only fruit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yes they are.

This thread is just... painful.

Seriously, OP, can you not do better than coming up with such nonsense? Trying to understrand people's behaviour is a worthy and rewarding endeavor but this sort of simplistic pot noodle for the soul won't be of much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Why on earth is this in Humanities, I thought we were snootier than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread fails at being a Humanities thread. Moved to tCN.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I can't believe I read all of that.
    Now I just want pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Oh, the Cuckoo's Nest will accept anything! Just dump the kitchen sink in here why don't ye?:)

Shift this gypsy thread to AH. It started in PI for God's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Those are the freakiest things ever!:eek: If you hate your children buy them a set for Christmas.

Advertisement