Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First real Snowfall in Wisconsin

Options
  • 11-11-2006 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

Hey, all! Thought I'd share some pics I took today of the first REAL snowfall we received here in Wisconsin. I can't post images in AH - only links. So I'm posting it here.

It was so beautiful I had to take a walk out in the snow (one of my favourite things to do!) and I brought the digital camera along!

FrontBushesI.jpg
    Bushes in front of my humble abode

FrontBushesII.jpg
    More of my bushes. They're pretty, okay?!

Mystreetinsnowfall.jpg
    My street in the snowfall

SladesinSnowfall.jpg
    Oh, Look! It's my Favourite Local Pub in the Snowfall!

SnowbyHughs.jpg
    More pretty bushes

SnowbyHughsII.jpg
    Same pretty bushes

McKnightsintheSnow.jpg
    Feck the pub! This is the Winery! W00t! Lusty's drinkin wine tonight!

Snowfall1.jpg
    My Street on the way home

Closeupsnow.jpg
    Isn't this pretty? Closeup of the snow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As long as it doesn't delay my flight tomorrow night then I shall be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. we had snow in Sligo too. I awoke to discover i only had 3 fingers on each hand and was quickly balding. Ignoring this, i went outside had a blast making a snowman and there's photo of it me with the snowman below:

untitledff7.png

Ohhh.. what a fun day i did have!

PS - for those who want are missing out on snow.. and want some of that fun fun fun for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Squill, LMAO! Did you make a snow angel too?
    My son tried to but came up sopping wet!

Ruu, are you heading home?

I am told it started in Minnesota and is making its way south-east.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

But I REALLY REALLY love snow! It's so pretty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Come on Lusty, that's not Wis-snow! No snow blowers. No shovels. No snow plows. No cars buried so deep that you can X-ski over them. Don't you have one of those T-shirts that proclaims: "We have 4 seasons! Winter, Winter, Winter, Summer!"

• Advertisement

Heh! See? That's why I posted these. To give everyone a better perception of where I live.
    It's nothing fancy, just a quaint little city.

And I'm sure this snow will be melted away be next week.
    Although I'll probably be out salting and shoveling the sudewalks later this morning.

When it snows, the temp actually warms up and it is the most gorgeous time to go out walking. So peaceful and quiet!

Oh, and it's only TWO Seasons! Winter and Road Construction! :)

Lust4Life wrote:
    Heh! See? That's why I posted these. To give everyone a better perception of where I live.
    It's nothing fancy, just a quaint little city.

And I'm sure this snow will be melted away be next week.
    Although I'll probably be out salting and shoveling the sudewalks later this morning.

When it snows, the temp actually warms up and it is the most gorgeous time to go out walking. So peaceful and quiet!

Oh, and it's only TWO Seasons! Winter and Road Construction! :)

so when do we get a tour of the home?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I want pictures of the band rehearsal.

What? You want The Jackie O'Nasis Tour? LMAO!
    Oh, there's not much to see inside. It's just an average old house actually built by the original owner and his work mates. (That's how they did things in the 1930's in Wisconsin).
    Small, with way too much stuff crammed into it.:p

Your street is wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

They're gorgeous pictures Lusty! Town looks very pretty! :)

Here's hoping we don't get any snow this year!! Sligo had enough last year but I was in Limerick laughing at everyone here! :( Which of course means I'll not get away with going outside without someone throwing snow down my top. Sligo people are so mean!

You think so?
    Ptobably because the terraces keep deteriorating from people parking so close to them. And maybe the perspective of the picture.
    It gets more narrow down the way and the sidewalks get double the width because there is a river running underground beneath the sidewalks. It veers off before my block though.

Oh! And in that pic you are talking about, the last house past the trees is where "Yammo Man" lives. He's an oddball who spends his day in his garage jamming out to 70's music full blast and trying to get passers by to join him in a beer or two. VERY odd character!

And there are a bunch of squatters staying in the house next to the one with the for sale sign. I'm not happy about that cuz it looks like they may be dealing as well.

The neighbourhood gets bad, and then it gets good again. Rent is cheap, and police are patroling. They'll get the bad element sooner or later.

Are you close to the Great Lakes? If so, is it windy?

Yes, I am close to the Great Lakes... well, one of them.
    The Wine store is a block away from the river that leads to the lake. So yes, it gets windy but not all the time.

I'll have to continue taking the camera on my wanderings. There's some cool stuff you may like to see. And stuff I view as ordinary, you all might find interesting.

Takola, just saw your post! You gotta put snow down their backs and down the pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I like to write my name in the snow... in someone elses handwriting...:eek:

LOL! There is a musician from Minnesota (Mike McAbee) who tours Wisconsin every year who has an original song titled "I like to Pee Outside."

Minnesotians just don't appreciate Mike as much as Wisconsinites do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Yeah! I love the freedom of it... but I nearly died of indecent exposure a couple of times...

Stay away from metal poles and the like.
    Don't put your tongue or ...em... other warm body parts on them and you'll be fine! :D

Lust4Life wrote:
    Stay away from metal poles and the like.
    Don't put your tongue or ...em... other warm body parts on them and you'll be fine! :D
    from the voice of experence

That's why I type instead of speak these days. Heh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And you are the person who said Wisconsin climate was similar to Irelands.

No hugs for that one.

hugshugshugshugshugshugs

She'll be heartbroken Flutters! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

boneless wrote:
    I like to write my name in the snow... in someone elses handwriting...:eek:
    Legend :D

It has almost all melted away already.:(

Will you get more at Christmas??

Oh, I'm sure we will!
    I can only remember 1 or 2 Christmases that were not white.
    But the bulk of the snow comes in January / February.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cool foto's Lusty Looks like a nice neighbour hood.

Advertisement