Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD 26" LCD recommendations ?

Options
  • 09-11-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a lcd tv - mainly for xbox360 and dvds.

Ive been looking at Sammy LE26R72B from komplett but Im getting a few mixed reviews on these. Ive also been looking at a cheapy brand -Miria - seem to be getting decent reviews and about €150 cheaper than the sammy.

Any recommendations from boardies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

voxpop wrote:
    Ive been looking at Sammy LE26R72B from komplett but Im getting a few mixed reviews on these. Ive also been looking at a cheapy brand -Miria - seem to be getting decent reviews and about €150 cheaper than the sammy.

Any recommendations from boardies?

At the risk of pointing to something you've considered already, did you look at the other Samsung sets in that size range?

Stick with a known brand, for the sake of saving €150 it's not worth the potential trouble. As for the review itself, how mixed is it? Samsung have a good reputation. IIRC esepcially in entry level HDTVs, the entry level thing may be the source of the mixed reviews - can't help but wonder if the mixed reviews are from those who have compared it to more expensive, more full featured TVs

I don't have any real answers here, but like i said, Samsung are generally well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I assumed that the R7 series is the latest and greatest Samsung lcd range - I think the older models are lacking a hdmi port and have a slower response time - example being the LE27T51BX although its about 150 cheaper. The response time here puts me off - as the xbox360 is the main use for the tv I dont want any ghosting.

Anywhere I can find some info on the R7 series, I generally get recommendations for panasonics or even toshibas over the sammy. The worry is buying a hd tv and then finding that the picture is not up to scratch when the whole point of hd is the picture.

The Miria tvs do have a 2 year collect and return warranty plus plenty of good reviews on other forums... still not to sure of a "no name" brand but would hate to spend and extra €150 on just a badge.

€800 is probably my max budget - well €600 use to be the max but you cant get much of a hd tv for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

For €800 the Sammy is the best you're going to get. The next ones up would be the Panasonic LX60 series and the Sony S20 series but these are out of your price range.

People seem to be raving about the Mirai on Avforums but I'm still a little dubious wheter they have a great image for their price range or are as good as some of the top brands. Got a link to any professional reviews of them?

Avforums is what Im going by when talking about the Mirai - the sheer amount of post from people who are happy with the tv suggests to me that the tv is good. Some pro reviews would be good but I cant even find pro reviews on the sammys!

Im am leaning towards the Sammy - just as I said I was a little worried about the mixed reviews on some forums - is there any point buying in a bricks and mortar shop or is online the only way to go

voxpop wrote:
    Avforums is what Im going by when talking about the Mirai - the sheer amount of post from people who are happy with the tv suggests to me that the tv is good. Some pro reviews would be good but I cant even find pro reviews on the sammys!
    I know its killing me now. If I had access to a CC last night I would of ordered the Sammy after about a month of looking into it but now I'm having second thoughts >_<
    voxpop wrote:
    Im am leaning towards the Sammy - just as I said I was a little worried about the mixed reviews on some forums - is there any point buying in a bricks and mortar shop or is online the only way to go
    The only advantage is being able to take it back for free but even then they will have to ship it off to a supplier if its anything serious and you easily pay €200 - €300 extra to get it from a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Anyone know a good place to get these Mirai TVs?? online or in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Anyone know a good place to get these Mirai TVs?? online or in shops

Saw one in D.I.D today Linky

Pixmainia sell them also but are out of stock. Linky

That DID Mirai is both the old model (new one is DTL-527V200) and about 250 euro more than online - I wouldnt buy a Miria if I could get a Sammy for the same price (see komplett) but online they look the biz - still for 200 more maybe a sammy is the way to go - known brand and all ?

I'm in the same boat myself Voxpop. Been looking around sites and shops for a decent 26" lcd at a decent price and I still come back to the Samsung models.

Saw a 32" Sharp lcd in DID for €899.Not on the site.Looked a lovely set but don't ask me about ant specs(HD ready i know that much)Picture of same can be seen on the back of some magazine thing that was in yesterdays Evening Herald.

I'm in the same boat myself Voxpop. Been looking around sites and shops for a decent 26" lcd at a decent price and I still come back to the Samsung models.
    That's 3 of us in the same boat :'(

Think I'm just going to get it over with and order the Sammy tomorrow or Monday.
    Saw a 32" Sharp lcd in DID for €899.Not on the site.Looked a lovely set but don't ask me about ant specs(HD ready i know that much)Picture of same can be seen on the back of some magazine thing that was in yesterdays Evening Herald.
    32" for €899 online would get you a decent 32" LCD but from DID I'd be very suspicious TBH.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    That's 3 of us in the same boat :'(

32" for €899 online would get you a decent 32" LCD but from DID I'd be very suspicious TBH.

Very true.
    I might try to get the model number of the set tomorrow and see what specs it has.

Here's the advert from the Herald......

the LE26R72B and LE26R71B are exactly the same, right ? bar colour ? The one thing about the Mirai is that all the companies selling it will deliver to the UK but no metion of Ireland, same with the warranties - still you could get a 32" Mirai for the same price as the 26" Sammy - tempting...

Very true.
    I might try to get the model number of the set tomorrow and see what specs it has.

Here's the advert from the Herald......

<edit..can't upload picture, site problem:confused: >
    Use www.imageshack.us
    voxpop wrote:
    the LE26R72B and LE26R71B are exactly the same, right ? bar colour ?
    Yep, I much prefer the R71 :D

Got that advert uploaded onto previous post.
    Can't get to D.I.D today :(

Got that advert uploaded onto previous post.
    Can't get to D.I.D today :(
    There's no point if DID Lucan is anything to go by. All the TV hooked up by RF, no details on the screens (screen size, model numbers, specs) and doesn't look like they were setup at all. Just taken out of the box and stuck on the shelf.

That pic didn't work btw.

Xtravision are now doing the 32" Mirai (DTL-532W100) for €799 - its the old model but has similar specs to the sammy except the extra 4 inches. I couldnt resist so just went in and put down a €100 deposit. Should be in the shop waiting for me in 2 days, hope its as good as the avforums lads say!

Hmmm....works for me.Anyway too late now,it was a "this weekend only" offer.
    D.I.D in Airside Swords had sky digital showing and also had sky HD on some of the sets too. Showing RF on LCDs and plasmas would just send people running from the shop. Although Swords was the same no specs, model number etc.
    Looks like the sammy is back in first place.

@voxpop let us know how you get on with the Mirai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

How did the Mirai go from Xtra Vision

Psygnosis wrote:
    How did the Mirai go from Xtra Vision

Havnt got it yet - its on order, should have it by the weekend...:)

I ended up ordering the Sammy off Komplett. Went into dixons yesterday and they had it running a HD demo and I couldn't wait any longer >_<

• Advertisement

Was in Dixons yesterday and after looking at the Samsung 26" I thought that's going to be too small in the room I'm doing up atm.It's perfect for the bedroom.
    Thing is I popped into the Sony Centre to laugh at the comical prices until I set eyes upon the 50" rpTV on display for €1,500. I think I've found my new TV. Very impressed with the picture quality and viewing angle for a rear projection set. Best I've seen tbh(rptv that is)
    Anyone out there running a Xbox360 on this monster. If so how does the stated 16ms stand up to gaming??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

voxpop wrote:
    Havnt got it yet - its on order, should have it by the weekend...:)

I`m very tempted to get the Mirai from Xtravision... I hope yours goes well voxpop and please post your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

As I just posted in the bargain alerts section of boards, the 32" Mirai DTL-532W100 is available from laptopsdirect.ie for E590 this weekend.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Mirai_Olympic_32_Inch_HD_Ready_LCD_TV_DTL-532W100/version.asp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thing is I popped into the Sony Centre to laugh at the comical prices until I set eyes upon the 50" rpTV on display for €1,500. I think I've found my new TV. Very impressed with the picture quality and viewing angle for a rear projection set. Best I've seen tbh(rptv that is)
    Anyone out there running a Xbox360 on this monster. If so how does the stated 16ms stand up to gaming??
    Mate of mine has it hooked up and absolutely fine, no issues, BTW that TV was priced at 1400 in the Sony Centre Athlone last week, amazing price for a 50" HDTV, 2 HDMI etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Got the Mira setup over the weekend (mounted on the wall) and hooked up to the xbox360 - couldnt be happier. Very good picture from the set - very easy to setup. The picture actually looks alot better than the demos of the TV in xtravision. It does seem to take a while to change source - but that doesnt bother me as Im using it mainly for xbox and watching dvds.

slave1 wrote:
    Mate of mine has it hooked up and absolutely fine, no issues,
    :D:D:D:D:D Thanks for that slave1. Just what I wanted to hear.

@Ciaran500
    hows the sammy - post up a few pics of the sammy and xbox360 if you get a chance, wouldnt mind comparing the picture with the Mirai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Hows the sammy ciaran?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

• Advertisement
Advertisement