Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 200wfp with xbox 360

Options
  • 09-11-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My first post in this forum.

Can anyone tell me is it possible to use my xbox 360 with this screen here

I have it setup now in my room and I think it is HD but it doesnt seem to have any connectors that look like the ones on the 360.
    Am I way off the mark here in thinking there may be another piece I need to buy??

Thanks for any advice you may have.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

and here is a link to the price

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/CART/3-/719745/-/Product.html?cur=258

also vga doesn't carry audio so you would have to plug the other two audio cables into an amp

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for that, what I have done up to now with the sound is plug the white and red cables into the surround sound player I have and they come up as "AUX" on the dvd player surround sound.
    Is still ok??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yeah that's fine...

Actually, would this connector be better as i think it is gold.

I asked him is it gold anyway.

Thanks again for the help. I am looking forward to buying one now.

Off topic, as a noob to decent displays, is the monitor I bought much good. . . in your opinion?

• Advertisement

That connector seems very cheap and as they say you get what you pay for. Here is a link to a Joytech XBox 360 Digital VGA Cable it's half the price

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/741485/Joytech_XBox_360_Digital_VGA_Cable/Product.html

As for the screen it's middle of the road i think (800:1 contrast ratio ) I would like to see a bit higher maybe 1200:1 (16 millisecond typical response time) again i would have gone for 8ms .but i am sure it will do the job fine.

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'd stay away for no name cable for the 360. I got a VGA one last week and the picture quality is dreadful. Horrible diagnal lines running across the whole screen.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'd stay away for no name cable for the 360. I got a VGA one last week and the picture quality is dreadful. Horrible diagnal lines running across the whole screen.

Really??
    I want to buy an excellent one so money isnt really a problem.
    I was looking at some of the gold ones on ebay but they all seem a bit cheap.
    I dont wanna make a mistake, hence I come looking for the experienced guys (Ye) on boards.

Mark, I dont know what all that stuff you mentioned means, you said contrast ratio - would that affect someone who doesn't know much (me)??

Sorry feeling a bit lazy so here are some links in a nut shell a higher response time (say 24 ms) can cause drag on the screen in fast moving games so the faster the response time (8ms) the less chance of this happening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_time

mark

This is the tv I have been using all along and never noticed any drag, in fact I dont even know what drag looks like.
    Am I right in thinking that if I haven't noticed it on this tv then I prob wont notice it on the new monitor

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that if I haven't noticed it on this tv then I prob wont notice it on the new monitor
    No, CRT TVs work differently to LCD screens.

But I used to have a screen with 16ms response time and while there was a bit of ghosting (the proper name for "drag") it didn't bother me at all. Also I know someone with that Dell screen and saw no problems at all when playing games on it.

Lovely Stuff Ciaran

Thanks guys

Your screen should be fine, don't worrie. That old tv is a CRT which is diffrent and older technology. LCD and plasma work in completely diffrent way so you can't compare them.

mark

you got there before me Ciaran and yes your right it is also called ghosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you get gold plated plugs, be sure to have gold-plated sockets or you will get corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i have the previous gen of that monitor running with my xbox using the standard xbox vga cable and it's really really good. no ghosting or tearing. Seeing as you're talking about the newer version it should be even better.

I have ordered the Vga adaptor anyway so I will have a look.
    I just got the official microsoft one so no gold.
    Is there a major difference between gold and silver??

Is there a major difference between gold and silver??
    Nope, its mostly marketing.

Advertisement