Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Jackie Skelly Gym

• 08-11-2006 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Is anyone interested in joining Jackie Skelly's? I'm a member there, and due to my hours changing in work, I have to cancel my membership, well I tried to cancel it! They told me that the only way I can, is if I transfer the membership over to someone else, so if anyone is interested in joining the gym, please respond to this. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how much is the membership cost monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niamhbee

I'm paying €61 per month up until July, I think it's usually €68. would you or do you know anyone who'd be interested in taking up the membership?

i might do ill ask my house mate cos she's sick of paying €15 to use the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

€15 to use the pool? I was quoted €20. They don't know if they're coming or going.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

I've gone twice with a member and only paid €10 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I have 2 memberships up for sale if anyone wants them. With my long commute to work I am getting back so late I cant get to the Gym and my other half wont go if I dont go!!! So if you want to PM me I will tell you the details.:D

astrofluff wrote:
    €15 to use the pool? I was quoted €20. They don't know if they're coming or going.
    i think it depends on their mood...
    first few times she went ity was €10
    then she went again and it was €15
    i think she was asked to pay €20 but didn't go...

i bet the staff there are pocketing that money!

Well, you can let me know if she wants it, sounds like it'd be worth it, especially if she's using the pool for €15!

ill ask her tonight when i get home.

Any luck with your housemate, regarding the gym membership?

• Advertisement

yeah i asked, she said she wouldn't use it enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dapper

The Place smells anyway and they rip you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MommaMia

Anyone else notice that are no staff ever around in the gym!! Its crazy, what if someone had an accident. I had to ask at reception this evening, and waited 10 minutes but she couldn't locate any staff!! The Personal Trainer was around, but he won't answer any questions. I only wanted to weight myself :(. I was trying to find a h/office to complain but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JimbobK

I cant believe they have asked you to get someone else to take your place -an absolute cheek / rip off .. arggg that is such poor customer service

I'm trying to cancel ( well I have with the bank) and they have sent the usual threatening letters re " you own us money" .. eh no - I dont cos you've been paid for the time I was a member..

Anyway . I've responded and am blue in the face giving them my position. Now I'm trying to talk or email one of their directors . The scarlett pimpernel springs to mind ! .. Dont suppose any of you good folk have a contact ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Another annoying thing about JS is that they seem to charge 45 quid to freeze your membership. They limit the freeze to 3 months and the frozen period does not contribute to your initial contract period.

I'm going to leave as soon as my contract is up, and I wouldn't recommend membership to anyone. I don't mind there not being gym instructors around as I don't use them but still the gym is mediocre at best.

When enquiring about freezing the girl on the end of the phone was absolutely confrontational about everything!?! It was crazy, they treat their customers absolutely terribly.

Does anyone know if you can give the 60 (yes 60) days notice 2 months before the initial contract runs out so that you can leave after a year as opposed to 1 year and 2 months?

I know, I can't believe they asked me to go and find someone to take my membership!! I even offered to forfeit 2 months membership to get out of the contract, but to no avail.

I've received two letters so far from them, but i'm going to ignore them and see what happens. I just hope it won't go against my Credit Rating, but I'm nearly sure it won't.

I've learned my lesson though, I certainly won't be joining a Jackie Skelly gym again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CD_GD

Hi, I will also be looking to leave Jackie Skellys gym. I find that classes are often cancelled and when they do happen they start late and finish on time, not giving me the full time I have paid for!! I have complained about this to them before and said I would be looking for a full refund (I have unfortunately paid for the year!!) Does anyone else notice classes are often cancelled???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi CD,

By the looks of it you have made legitimate complaint. If you read the threads here it shows how people have succesfully cancelled their direct debits but seeing as you have paid for the year in advance (and made a saving of two months worth or so!) you might do the letters of complaints, keep using the gym and find more faults with the place keep writing to them, and bring them to the small claims court if they haven't given you a refund. I reckon on the final letter to them, tell them that you are not satisfied and that you have stated this in previous letters and that should you not receive a refund in full by such a date (give them 30 days) that you will have no other option than to bring them to the small claims court.

Now, to be honest I am not a member but all the complaints I heard I don't see how anyone wouldn't have any problem getting their money back?! I might be wrong...has anyone else had experience going down this route?

Astro!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Gyms & Private clubs etc have no accreditation to the ICB so not paying them will have no effect to your Credit Rating - obviously if would effect your standing with that company but they certainly cant blacklist anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

absolutely right wicklowdub -- your credit rating is only affected by loans and how you repay them. As Jackie Skelly's hasn't loaned you any money, cancelling your direct debit would have no impact whatsoever on your credit rating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Its hard to believe that they are actively driving for new members up there with a leaflet drop at supermarkets, etc. The standard is so poor and the staff, hygiene , etc combine to make it one kip.I would like to complain directly to JS as I understand she is a decent enough person. But there is no customer service line at their HO. I believe theeir other centres are VG. In comparison to the big fitness centre in Sandyford of which I was a member the Greystones J Skelly is really poor. Vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peters

niamhbee wrote:
    Is anyone interested in joining Jackie Skelly's? I'm a member there, and due to my hours changing in work, I have to cancel my membership, well I tried to cancel it! They told me that the only way I can, is if I transfer the membership over to someone else, so if anyone is interested in joining the gym, please respond to this. Thanks!!

Did you sell your membership? If not, does the membership cover all clubs? Is there any cost to transfer membership?

Thanks,
    Peter

Hi Peters,

I have a membership to transfer. I got a v good price from jackie skelly and have paid up for the year. There is about 8 or 9 months left on the membership at a cost of €50 per month (€400 or €450, depending on how many months are left). I will cover the cost of transfering it if you want to take this membership.

Let me know if your interested.

Hi, I've been away for a couple of weeks, only got to reply now! the membership is still open, and yes it can be transfered to any of the clubs, is you're still interested let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

From yesterdays SIndo...

Debt collectors 'hunting' gym fees
    NICOLA TALLANT

A TOP Dublin gym is employing debt collectors to chase lapsed members for their monthly fees.

Jackie Skelly Fitness say they have outsourced the work to a debt collection company for "extreme" cases of members who do not pay up after signing a year-long contract with the gym.

The chain has seven gyms across Dublin and a new facility in Drogheda, with a total of 20,000 members.

Mark Tooke, Director of Jackie Skelly, says that members sign a legal contract when they join up in the gym and must honour that.

"If people miss a payment we write to them and ring them. But in extreme cases when a membership hasn't been paid for around four months we outsource the work to a debt collection agency who follow that up."

A recent report found that a massive 80 per cent of people who join gyms as part of their New Year fitness resolution drop out. According to the report from Deloitte just one in five keep up the January spurt of exercise.

Membership at Jackie Skelly costs €66 per month or €75 for premium membership but Mr Tooke insists that they have a retention rate of 60 per cent.

"I have heard those figures before that just 20 per cent continue to use the gym, but in our experience it is more like a retention rate of over 60 per cent. That would include those that come every day and those that might just attend once a month," he said.

Other large gym groups use different types of payments. At Ben Dunne's Carlisle, Northwood and Westpoint centre members pay upfront for a year or 18 months membership.

Gar Holohan, Chairman of the Aura Holohan Leisure Group says he does not agree with legal contracts when it comes to gym membership.

"The prospect of a member of any one of the eight leisure centres that we operate being hunted down by a debt collector will never arise because we are the only chain of leisure centres in the country operating a 'pay-as-you go' system.

"We don't believe in locking people into contracts and then calling in the debt collectors to recover every cent owed to us, simply because those who signed up as members have decided to stop using our facilities," he said.

"The industry standard is that almost half of those who sign up as gym members quit within three months.

"I have heard stories about debt collectors knocking on doors and the existence of contracts that don't offer escape clauses. We don't subscribe to these practices that do nothing for our industry."

have you all noticed that your direct debit payment has gone up by a euro...I checked my contract and apparently they are within their rights to do this. Considering the appalling level of service they provide it's a bit galling, but more fool me I suppose for not reading the small print.

I have already got a note in my diary reminding me to give them the two months notice of cancelling, I suggest we should all vote with our feet on this one!:rolleyes:

How can they do that when you sign up for a price for an agreed amount for the year?

In the terms and conditions, they say: "the members direct debit will automatically increase and annual fees will be subject to an increase on membership renewal". Like I said it's my own fault for not reading the contract closely enough, but it's sharp practice. I've never had this happen to me with any direct debit or standing order I've taken out before.

I think this along with the debt collectors story shows that Jackie Skelly is not interested in providing a decent service, they are just interested in screwing as much money as possible out of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 makbos

Hi do you or anybody else is stiil interested to transfer your membership in jackie skally?
    Just let me know on mail : [email protected]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dutchy78

Skelly's tread their membership contracts as legally binding contracts and they will send the Bailiffs round to collect any outstanding monies.
    In charlesland you have signed i believe a 12 month contract, so you have only two options: pay for twelve month (if you use the place or not doesn't matter) or find somebody to take over your contract (good luck with that.)

niamhbee wrote:
    I know, I can't believe they asked me to go and find someone to take my membership!! I even offered to forfeit 2 months membership to get out of the contract, but to no avail.

I've received two letters so far from them, but i'm going to ignore them and see what happens. I just hope it won't go against my Credit Rating, but I'm nearly sure it won't.

I've learned my lesson though, I certainly won't be joining a Jackie Skelly gym again!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement