Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best connection using SCART

Options
  • 08-11-2006 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have just bought a Pioneer VSX916 A/V Amplifier after my previous amp expired and am trying to work out the optimal way to connect everything.
    I also have:
    A Sony GX120 DVD Recorder
    ntl Digital box
    An 8yr old Sony standard 29in TV with 2 Scart inputs (plus S-Video)
    Sony PS2

I have currently set up the following connections:
    Audio:
    ntl -> amp is digital optical
    dvd -> amp is digital coaxial
    PS2 -> amp is digital optical

Video
    ntl -> TV scart socket A
    dvd -> TV scart socket B
    PS2 -> TV scart socket B
    ntl -> dvd

To use PS2 the DVD must be off (& vice versa) otherwise there is picture interference.
    Also the AMP has an OnScreenDisplay so it also now needs a connection to TV (however there is no scart socket on AMP and its instructions dont mention SCART connections at all)

Short of buying a new TV that can do component video or HDMI, is this the best way to set up the video connections?
    Also I heard that you 'could' set up component video through a scart connection - is this possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Look at front of tv ,on sonys theres 3 rca,yellow,red,whitetake cable from ps2 , plug in red to red,yellow to yellow,white to white,red to red, yellow is video signal.you,ll remove the cables from ps2 scart,attachment.plug in gently into the 3 rca, sockets.they may be at back of tv,or under front panel ,turn on ps2 ,press av, twice or 3times to see ps2 signal, maybe listed as RGB.IF theres any interference turn off dvd,i use vcr,sky box,and ps2 ,on a ten year old,sony,always get perfect ps2 picture.I,m looking round to buy a plasma TV or else a hdready crt 32inch TV, be4 i get a 360 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fme wrote:
    Also I heard that you 'could' set up component video through a scart connection - is this possible?

Not really.

Component is plain RGB signals (from SCART) with a mathematical formula applied so you will not directly be able (in most cases) to output component to RGB SCART.

On this site are a few converters that properly apply the correct formulae to get the signal you want.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Thanks for the info.

gamer - I think thats probably the way to go with the PS2 for now alright. I'll just have to settle for turning off the DVD when using the OSD for the Amp (which hopefully isn't too often).

nereid - thanks for the link. those are a bit pricey so I say I'll wait it out to get the new TV instead.

1 yellow is video ,2 cables from ps2 to tv,2 for stereosound,You can get y splitter plug 1 into scart ,no 2, 1 goes to dvd,1 to video,press small button on it to routedvd,or route video to scart, av2.IT would stop any interference from dvd,cos dvd signal ,or vcr signal to av2 is stopped depending,on whether button is up or down.Y CABLE has scart at each end, get in tv shops,or peats,12euroIT may help matters while you wait to get tv.I recommend plasma or hdready crt ,lcd picture is mediocre for paltv signals. Its a simple y cable 3ft approx,needs no power.It just pass,s or stops scart signal from device a or b,works on vcrs,dvd,or ps2, console.Put ntl digital on scart av1, then,dvd,vcr on scart 2 using y link.Leave vcr on,press Ycable button when u want 2 use a dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

1 yellow is video ,2 cables from ps2 to tv,2 for stereosound,You can get y splitter plug 1 into scart ,no 2, 1 goes to dvd,1 to video,press small button on it to routedvd,or route video to scart, av2.IT would stop any interference from dvd,cos dvd signal ,or vcr signal toav2 is stopped depending,on whether button is upor down.Y CABLE scarts at each end, get in tv shops,or peats,12euro, may helpmatters while you wait to get tv,i recommend plasma,or hdready crt ,lcd picture is mediocre for paltv signals. its a simple y cable 3ft approx,needs no power,just pass,s or stops scart signal from device a or b,works on vcrs,dvd,or ps2, console.

Fairplay to anyone who can make sense of that !! , a little punctuation goes a long way pal !!

• Advertisement

IT would be possible to get cable from peats or maplins ,to connect vcr,or dvd to svideo connector ,theres a scart unit 3x3inch size, set botton on it to ouput, plug into dvd scart, get svideo cable plug into unit svideo output connector.Plug other end into tv .YOU,D then have to route 2 rca sound cables rom unit into tv rca,,l,r for sound ,or route dvdsound into your hifi.This unit costs 4euro in tv shops anywhere,plus you,ll need 2rca sound cables.They have this unit ,in electrical/cable section in many 2euro shops in city center.

Advertisement