Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Samsung TV

Options
  • 01-11-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Lads

I'm in some desperate need of some advice on these two tv from komplett.ie, i need to get something sorted out asap and have been looking for reviews and stuff all week but to no avail. The tv is going to be mainly used for my xbox 360 and HD DVDS and im not sure if either tv is any good... could someone advise me on these two tvs please, currently leaning towards the samsung because it seems to be the tv of choice for the xbox but dont want to end up wiht a dud tv since this tv has got to last me quite a few years.

- LG 42"
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327377

- Samsung 40"
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323272

Any help at all is very very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

www.avforums.com

Search around their forums and you should be able to find plenty of opinions on each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Thanks for the reply... i've been searching that site, alot of info on Samsungs but i cant seem to find anything on the model i'm looking at... the LE40S71 - all i know is that the S stands for the budget model...nothing else.

Sorry for being a pain, i must be searching for the wrong thing?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3683271&postcount=5

If that post is correct the S71 seems to be a R7x in a different casing. The connections on the back are even setup the same and on the samsung website its seems to have the same specs as the R7 series.

I'm going to be buying a R71 in the next few weeks and they really seem like the screen of choice at the moment, so unless you can find any problems with them I'd definatley say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Ciaran

Your help is very much appreciated... i might as well go for the samsung then... cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Just looking at the specs, the R7 series has a contrast ration of 5000:1 whereas the S has 3000:1. More processing colours in the R7 series as well. Whether that's worth the difference is hard to justify without having the two side by side. Have the R7 series myself, 40" and very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

On the R7 series too

Supported DTV Resolutions 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, 576i, 576p

Nothing about the S series.

Ivan E wrote:
    On the R7 series too

Supported DTV Resolutions 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, 576i, 576p

Nothing about the S series.
    According to the manual the S series has all those
    Ivan E wrote:
    Just looking at the specs, the R7 series has a contrast ration of 5000:1 whereas the S has 3000:1. More processing colours in the R7 series as well. Whether that's worth the difference is hard to justify without having the two side by side. Have the R7 series myself, 40" and very happy with it.
    Hmm missed that. TBH I can't see it resulting in a huge difference, those contrast ratios are percieved contrast so when you get down to actualt contrast they shouldn't be to far apart. But I'd try demo the screen if you can, although I have a feeling you will have trouble finding anywhere carrying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I have the 32" version of the R7. I had problems initially with the set but these were fixed and now I'm very happy with it.

I've also seen the 40" version and have to say it's impressive but don't put too much faith in those contrast figures, they're not native values because they use trickery to achieve them. Pretty soon the "trickery" becomes annoying and you'll look for ways to disable it. Happened to me !

ZEN

Advertisement