Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing LCD online

Options
  • 25-10-2006 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Have been looking at the online shops for LCD tv's and they seem to be a lot cheaper than the conventional shop.

From people's experience would they recommend them ?

I looked at komplett and they would deliver an lcd via an post for approx € 12 euro (seems cheap to me) verus DHL at € 95 euro, any idea what the difference is ?

Finally, if there is an issue with the product is it a simple case of returning it to the manufacture in Ireland / Uk (eg: sony, jvc etc)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mburke wrote:
    Finally, if there is an issue with the product is it a simple case of returning it to the manufacture in Ireland / Uk (eg: sony, jvc etc)

I would also like to know this. I am close to purchasing an lcd from pixmania and I know that the same lcd on Komplett comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. The 2 year warranty is mentioned on pixmania but I'm not sure if its part of their zen protection. I am guessing that if its a Manufacturer's warranty therefore the manufacture should sort out any problems.

Appreciate any advise guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I bought my LCD online from the UK (www.savastore.com), saved 300 euro on buying it here, delivery was GBP 25 and it arrived within four days. Had no problems with it.

Regarding who's responsible for resolving any problems with the product you might have afterwards, might be worth a post on Consumer Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

it is the responsibility of the retailer to make sure that the goods you receive are in perfect working order. And I think after that there is a 7 or 14 day cooling off period during which you can return them. However after the cooling off period if there is a problem with your lcd/plasma/radio etc. you deal with the manufacturer. This is the same even if you buy from Joe BLoggs TV from across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Dont mean to hi-jack this thread, Im looking arond for a lcd online and having looked at savastore mentioned above they seem to have great prices.

Im looking at this
    http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10288958&pid=0&rstrat=7432

Does anyone know of any other sites that could be cheaper than savastore (apart from komplett)?

D

Pixmania are quite good also. They have the LE3271B for €1012 including 2 day delivery. It also comes with a 2 year warrenty.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263552/art/samsung/lcd-tv-16-9-32-81-cm-hd-r.html

• Advertisement

Hey thanks a mill for the link, forgot to check pixmania! Thats an unbelievable price and it might be too good to turn down.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

do you pay tax or import duty,if you buy a lcd tv from a uk online site ?Or even a european website,apart from currency exchange charges.

No you dont unless of course you buy from outside EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm going to go with that Pixmania LE32R71B linked above, primarily for my xbox 360, and DVDs obviously. My problem is that I have absolutely no idea what any of the accessory cables are for and what I'll absolutely require, apart from the TV itself, if anything.

For example their current Promo deal includes a 2 meter HDMI male/male cable. Whats that and what do you need it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Branoic wrote:
    I'm going to go with that Pixmania LE32R71B linked above, primarily for my xbox 360, and DVDs obviously. My problem is that I have absolutely no idea what any of the accessory cables are for and what I'll absolutely require, apart from the TV itself, if anything.

For example their current Promo deal includes a 2 meter HDMI male/male cable. Whats that and what do you need it for?
    How do you hook stuff up to your current screen?

Is there anything other than the 360 and DVD you will be hooking up?

Did you buy the premium 360?

• Advertisement

Im currently just using a PS2 doubling as a DVD player hooked up to an old, old TV.

No, I can't really envision it being used for much else more fancy than the 360 and DVDs, and yes, the 360 is the Premium, not the Core.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Branoic wrote:
    Im currently just using a PS2 doubling as a DVD player hooked up to an old, old TV.

No, I can't really envision it being used for much else more fancy than the 360 and DVDs, and yes, the 360 is the Premium, not the Core.
    Then you won't need any of the extras they are trying to sell you. The premium 360 comes with a component cable which will give you HD on the screen and the PS2 will have its own cable. You should get a seperate DVD player for that screen BTW. The PS2 DVD player really won't do it justice.

Oh yeah definitely - the PS2 will be put to rest. I'm looking at http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/172789/art/h-b/speaker-system-subwoofer.html

69 euro for a DVD player and speaker set doesn't look too shoddy.

Hmm....for some bizarre reason my order on Pixmania won't go through. It keeps telling me "Unforunately your order could not be processed". I've no idea why. I tried using my credit card directly on the site, and when that didn't work tried it through Paypal, but still no look. I've more than enough credit available on it and I'm sure that after 3 or 4 attempts I've definitely got all the info right.

What's the dealio? I saw somewhere on the site something about faxing them proof of ID like a drivers licence or passport? Do you have to do that? And if so, when along the order process do they give you instructions about doing it, cos I haven't seen anything apart from one obscure fax reference on the whole site. :confused: I will of course give them a ring tomorrow morning. Any ideas before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Cant help you with ur problem but in case you havent seen any there are promotional codes available for Pixmania.

There are some here and check the 54th post here

Not too sure if they still work but its worth a try!!

Branners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

What about these guys: http://www.lcdtv.ie/

Prices seem comparable with dabs & komplett on the couple of models I checked, but these are based in dublin and don't charge postage.

Anyone come across them before?

Hey branoic im having the same problem as you, did you get it sorted or does anyone else know what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mburke wrote:
    I looked at komplett and they would deliver an lcd via an post for approx € 12 euro (seems cheap to me) verus DHL at € 95 euro, any idea what the difference is ?
    No difference. I bought a 32" Samsung a few months back from them and I also thought €12 was ridiculously cheap. But strangely enough that's all it costs. Maybe it's just that we're so used to paying though the nose for stuff here that we get suspicious when we see a bargain.

Advertisement