Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Respect of other beliefs

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote:
    There actually is a correlation between above average intelligence and disbelief in God.
    aidan24326 wrote:
    Don't know how accurate that info is though it would seem reasonable that atheists might be, on average, a little smarter.
    Smart in my book would be not bandying that theory around in public.

I'm not suggesting it to be true or false but it's the type of unhelpful generalisation that creates divides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zillah wrote:
    There actually is a correlation between above average intelligence and disbelief in God.

Doesn't mean we are not all dumb asses though :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'm not suggesting it to be true or false but it's the type of unhelpful generalisation that creates divides.

You do have a point, as something like that is not so easy to actually prove.

However there is already a divide. Some people believe in a heaven-dwelling prayer-answering god, some of us don't. That is a divide, an intellectual and ideological divide. Personally I have no problem putting myself firmly on one side of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

aidan24326 wrote:
    However there is already a divide. Some people believe in a heaven-dwelling prayer-answering god, some of us don't. That is a divide, an intellectual and ideological divide. Personally I have no problem putting myself firmly on one side of it.
    I don't think any of us have a problem placing ourselves on that side of the fence. ;)
    Doesn't mean we're all here for the same reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

aidan24326 wrote:
    Don't know how accurate that info is though it would seem reasonable that atheists might be, on average, a little smarter.

What I love is that the Jews are a close second for some reason. Who would've guessed. I'm not suprised that the Buddhists came out pretty high :)

I like to think there's a difference between intelligence and prudence... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Zillah wrote:
    I'm not suprised that the Buddhists came out pretty high :)

Wow, a compliment from Zillah:) I better run off and meditate on this one:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

aidan24326 wrote:
    Bluewolf, I don't know if you're a religious person or not, but if you are I think asking somebody to prove something would be a bit hypocritical.
    So let's all go around making stupid generalising statements then
    how about "people who imply that all religious people are stupid, are themselves lacking in intelligence"
    and hey, I don't have to prove it...

:rolleyes:

fundies can be pretty stupid, full stop. that goes for both sides of the fence.
    Wow, a compliment from Zillah I better run off and meditate on this one
    me too :D

bluewolf wrote:
    how about "people who imply that all religious people are stupid, are themselves lacking in intelligence"

:rolleyes:

fundies can be pretty stupid, full stop. that goes for both sides of the fence.

And where exactly did I say that all religious people are stupid?

aidan24326 wrote:

I believe it was here:
    aidan24326 wrote:
    I for for one believe that it is patently clear to anyone with half a mind that every single religious person in the world is an idiot.

You can hardly deny that now can you?

Zillah wrote:
    I believe it was here:

"I for for one believe that it is patently clear to anyone with half a mind that every single religious person in the world is an idiot".

You can hardly deny that now can you?

I hope you are just joking and not trying to deliberately misqoute me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

aidan24326 wrote:
    Where did I say you said that?

bluewolf wrote:

Well:
    bluewolf wrote:
    You claimed that all religious people were stupid.

I like this game.

Oh, round about here I'd say
    bluewolf wrote:

Zillah wrote:
    Well:

I like this game.

Stop making things up :P

Oh, round about here I'd say
    Nothing in that quote says "you/aidan said x"
    it doesn't even imply it
    It's a rant about people not backing up stupid statements

Advertisement