Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Projector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Hi ro1798 check out this thread at the avforums regarding this projector :D
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396219&highlight=sony+hs60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You cannot go wrong with an AE900. I bought mine from komlpett, I love it (though I weep at the current price of €1,299, I paid a good chunk more, that price makes it a total bargain)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ae100x which is the successor of the AE900 (Which I have. Paid over 2000 last year) will be out very soon. So AE100x for about 1800 from komplett (soon) or 1200 for an ae900 from komplett right now. Either will blow you away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Luck

I'm thinking of buying Optoma HD70 (people say DLP technology leaves no "fishnet effect" (pixels) on screen as it happens in LCD type of projector).

I am only afraid that because it is an american brand it might be difficult to obtain spare parts (lamp) or service here in Ireland. Any owner of Optoma here?

Thanks,
    Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 30,038 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dlp will have better black level and contrast

heres a review of the sony & panasonic
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6800

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd also highly recommend the panasonic AE range. I have an AE700. Proper High Def stuff on it /still/ impresses me mightily. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

eolhc wrote:
    dlp will have better black level and contrast

Old school information there...

Thats not the case with many modern projectors. The difference in black level and contrast is narrower now than even. LCD's colour representation is generally better than DLP.
    I'm thinking of buying Optoma HD70 (people say DLP technology leaves no "fishnet effect" (pixels) on screen as it happens in LCD type of projector).

The fishnet or screendoor effect is barely noticeable on any decent LCD projector. You also may want to lookup the rainbow effect of DLP and see if it affects you.

Or, you could just go with the Panasonic AE series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,038 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Old school information there...

Thats not the case with many modern projectors. The difference in black level and contrast is narrower now than even. LCD's colour representation is generally better than DLP.

The fishnet or screendoor effect is barely noticeable on any decent LCD projector. You also may want to lookup the rainbow effect of DLP and see if it affects you.

Or, you could just go with the Panasonic AE series :)

Dlp technology is better suited to achieve low black levels and contrast, where the light is directed away from the screen instead of blocked. Whether LCD represents colours better, i can't see why that should be, what i've heard is that colour tracking on dlp is better, again just due to the characteristics of the two technlogies. While lcd has improved greatly, i think dlp still has the edge when it comes to picture quality.

I do notice the rainbow effect an odd time, but was never bothered by it, newer dlp's with faster colour wheels have helped reduce the effect. My personal opinion would be unless the rbe bothers you, i don't see any reason for choosing lcd over dlp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

As I say, it depends on the two projectors you are comparing. It is a little subjective though and from that standpoint I will say, generally, I "prefer" LCD projectors ATM with all factors taken into account. We'll have to agree to disagree :)

For the benefit of ro1789, here are some guides to help you decide what projector is best for your needs

Vertical Banding Vs Rainbows
    Factoring in the cost of replacement lamps for your projector
    LCD Vs DLP Technologies
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/true_hdtv.htm"]Does your projector do real HD?[/url]

Theres plenty more on projectorcentral.com but this will get you started.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

by all accounts a better buy than the ae900 listed above would be it's replacement..
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=326377

only 4 of you are allowed buy one though, i've got my eye on one..(there are 5 available..:) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 worzel_gummidge

Ive recently bought a panasonic ae900 projector,but have noticed in the recent weeks that there are slight horizontal lines showing in the picture.....has this happened to anyone else?im running dvds off a sony hdmi dvd player.....

its very frustrating....

is it the dvd player or the projector?......or both?

any suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 worzel_gummidge

ive just sorted out a few things there on the projector,the lines dont exist anymore,thanks for the reply anyway!

Advertisement