Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like being mugged by an American while on Bebo in the winter sunshine?

Options
  • 21-09-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

With the Ryder Cup about to kick off tomorrow , what is your attitude to the USA ?
    Do you despise the USA as the creators of Greed ?
    Used to like them before Bush took over from Clinton , and became all insular and paranoid ?
    Think theyre great , have helped enrich us and create the Celtic Tiger ?

Do you like the USA 67 votes

Hate all things American
    0% 0 votes
    Used to like them before Bush and his War on Terror
    7% 5 votes
    Love the place - creators of the free world and all things good
    43% 29 votes
    I like the USA and understand that what is happening there is only temporary
    34% 23 votes
    I like cake
    2% 2 votes
    I am George H W Bush
    4% 3 votes
    YEHAAAW GUM DARN BLESS T' UNITED STATES
    1% 1 vote
    I love Kazakhstan and it very nice
    1% 1 vote
    I've never heard of this place of which you speak
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A poll ftw! :D

I like them 53%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally i think your poll is too extreme.

Some good things about America,

Some of the people
    Big cars
    Great Pizza's
    Have one of the best attitudes toward encouraging sports in schools in the world and then supporting it.
    Some great music
    UFC

Some bad things about America

Some of the people
    Silly about gun laws, if the founding Fathers knew someone would invent the AK-47 the may have reworded the "right to bear arms".
    Quite corrupt at many levels
    Tom Cruise
    American Idol

The President/Ruler/Government of any country is rarely a could indicator of that country as a whole. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thats not a great poll tbh.

In general I don't have a problem with the US, the only problem I do have is the attitude or belief that the USA rules the entire planet.
    I hate the "War on Terror" and am completely against it, the invasion of Iraq for oil etc. though.
    The US has provided our economy with a lot of trade, are a major importer of our products/services and are continously investing in this country which in turn is creating work, more money etc. and you can't dislike them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I love New york, the city, its awesome. Individual Americans I have met, I think are fine, but as for their leader, pure Twat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is America though in this poll, is this both North and South American continents that your asking about? You need to be more specific, or are you maybe only about the United States of America the country? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

LOL! OP, I think your poll bit you in the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Lust4Life wrote:
    LOL! OP, I think your poll bit you in the arse!
    Well at least its not sore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have to agree with rb_ie on his post. About sums it up for me.

Living over there or taking more than a 2 week holiday in the place gives you a different perspective about the nation and the people. Sure, some of them are annoying dicks, but I think every country on the planet has their own fair share of thos.
    I enjoy most aspects of US culture...I think almost everyone does.

Their foreign policy and seeming attitude toward the rest of the world does piss me off a lot though, especially the last 5-6 yrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kersh wrote:
    I love New york, the city, its awesome. Individual Americans I have met, I think are fine, but as for their leader, pure Twat.

qft
    nyc - best city on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Good
    The country itself
    I find its politics fascinating
    some good music

Bad
    The current governing administration
    Corruption
    Ignorance and arrogance of its policies
    Right wing religious groups affecting decision making at all levels
    Paranoia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The poll is terrible, it almost talks of America as a single entity. Are we talking about America as a land-mass or a nation, and why in gods name would one man and his crusade against 'terrer' have any bearing on what one would think of the whole as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

rb_ie wrote:
    Thats not a great poll tbh.

In general I don't have a problem with the US, the only problem I do have is the attitude or belief that the USA rules the entire planet.
    I hate the "War on Terror" and am completely against it, the invasion of Iraq for oil etc. though.
    The US has provided our economy with a lot of trade, are a major importer of our products/services and are continously investing in this country which in turn is creating work, more money etc. and you can't dislike them for that.

Agreed, I have been living here for the past year and annoying as some Americans are regarding Irish culture, the majority of them mean no harm to anyone. They are just curious but everyone gives them a hard time (including me at times)
    Good things are, things are far cheaper, I feel pretty safe and secure here in the middle of nowhere midwest.
    Bad things are the scare mongering, gun laws and corruption (then again Ireland is not much better off regarding that either, its everywhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I'm fairly certain greed was around before the USA was; I don't think they have the patent on it.

As for paranoid, ask any Asian living in London what it was like travelling on public transport (particularly with a backpack) last summer. Mindless paranoia is not confined to the states either.

(Did anyone else have a little giggle at someone on an Irish web forum calling someone else 'insular'?)

The poll is terrible, it almost talks of America as a single entity. Are we talking about America as a land-mass or a nation, and why in gods name would one man and his crusade against 'terrer' have any bearing on what one would think of the whole as?
    It should be pretty obvious what i mean by America in this instance , but i'll spell it out for you - The United States of America - not South America , Mexico or Canada .
    People world over have extreme views on the U.S. , so i just wanted to be get a summary of how people here fealt towards the U.S. , as we head in to the Ryder Cup .
    Of course i could have had a large number of options to reflect all the diverse aspect to the U.S. - but i choose not to - .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I couldn't give you a straight answer to whether or not I like spinach (its great when done well, and terrible when done badly, and the plant can look either really nice or really grotty), so I have to side with the "not a great question" faction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

What are "All things American"? could you clarify? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

thebaz wrote:
    It should be pretty obvious what i mean by America in this instance , but i'll spell it out for you - The United States of America - not South America , Mexico or Canada .

Well DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

(Did anyone else have a little giggle at someone on an Irish web forum calling someone else 'insular'?)

NO :p

Most of the current wave of criticism towards America is levelled at the Administration. I refrain from using the term "anti-Amercanism" because I think that's an easy way to deflect the argument away from the real issues and problems (another toipic, though). I don't blame "ordinary Americans" for decisions made by those in power... though, they did vote Bush in twice. There does appear to be vast swaths of America that seem to be populated by people steeped in ignorance. However, Europe, despite what some of us believe, appears to be equally (?) mired in this worldly unawareness.

So many things to love about America: music, art, literature, films, some TV shows (sopranos etc.), generally friendly people, the guilty pleasures of food and the apparent American predilection for excess (which can also be a negative).

Didn’t vote in the poll as the choices were ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll start liking America when it officially apologises for Everybody Loves Raymond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I moved this from AH because:

A) The poll is utter ribbish. Are you asking do we like the American people as a whole, or their government, or their country?

B) I can see it getting very opinionated very fast and I'm saving users from getting themselves banned.

C) TCN is alot more light hearted than AH and this place will lead to a better 'light-hearted' discussion if that is what the OP is after.

Feel free to send it back my way if you don't think TCN suits it properly. I'll send it to the dome or the bin :)

• Advertisement

to the dome or bin!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Apologise for Everybody Loves Raymond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Neither

Its just there

Its nothin great

Same weather, same prices in general

on the plus, more sun and shops

badness = bombage

bleh

im goin t Tokyo

sjones wrote:
    I moved this from AH because:

A) The poll is utter ribbish. Are you asking do we like the American people as a whole, or their government, or their country?

B) I can see it getting very opinionated very fast and I'm saving users from getting themselves banned.

C) TCN is alot more light hearted than AH and this place will lead to a better 'light-hearted' discussion if that is what the OP is after.

Feel free to send it back my way if you don't think TCN suits it properly. I'll send it to the dome or the bin :)

As its such rubbish -- please bin it !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love Raymond.

doesn't everybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I dont think it belongs here tbh...

We are here for fun, not slagging americans...

Yeah! What he said!
    I get nothing but LOOOOOOOOOVE here in the nest!
    <3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USA is very diverse. Each of the 50 states exhibit differences, as do regions (North West, South West, Mid West, South, South East, North East). The nation is a little over 200 years old, and except for a very small Native American population, most citizens are immigrants or decendants of immigrants.

USA is like a stew pot rather than a melting pot. For example, the potatoes in the pot are still potatoes, but they take on the flavor of all the other ingrediants, too. That's why you hear people in the USA call themselves Irish-Americans, or Italian-Americans, or French-Americans, or German-Americans, or Japanese-Americans, and so forth. They are part old culture and part new.

One thing that surprised me about the USA is how vast a nation it is. Do you realise that you can put the whole UK inside California? And California is so diverse. The northern, central, and southern parts are so different culturally, politically, ethinically, racially, economically, etc. So to get back to this poll, to ask the question, "Do you like (California)?" is just too broad, much less to ask the question, "Do you like America?," and give us only three poll choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

who's raymond?

Advertisement