Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Final 2006 Mayo V Kerry !!!!!

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It doesn’t bother the players much either which doesn’t augur well
    for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    It doesn’t bother the players much either which doesn’t augur well
    for the future.

Does it not ?

Can you explain why you think it does not bother them ?

If it did not bother them I doubt they would be coming back year after year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agree on the journey thing. Id also argue that we have gotten more out of this team than many fans who have had teams that actually won an all Ireland.

However, I think the fact that we know we are one of the top teams around at the minute is a factor in that. In 2006 for example, could we say that we expected, and indeed the country expected, us to be in the shakeup in 2007 or 2008? I don't think we could. That isn't the case now.

Re 2006. A weird game, but obviously we were soundly beaten. The thing with 2006 though is that when people say mayo were so bad, they are probably doing the Kerry team of that era a big disservice. Kerry in 2006 were a machine. I think they would have beaten tyrone that year, had tyrone managed to make it to the shootout. It was to my mind, the peak time of a great side.

Agree on the journey thing. Id also argue that we have gotten more out of this team than many fans who have had teams that actually won an all Ireland.

However, I think the fact that we know we are one of the top teams around at the minute is a factor in that. In 2006 for example, could we say that we expected, and indeed the country expected, us to be in the shakeup in 2007 or 2008? I don't think we could. That isn't the case now.

Re 2006. A weird game, but obviously we were soundly beaten. The thing with 2006 though is that when people say mayo were so bad, they are probably doing the Kerry team of that era a big disservice. Kerry in 2006 were a machine. I think they would have beaten tyrone that year, had tyrone managed to make it to the shootout. It was to my mind, the peak time of a great side.

I know you have tried to argue that point on previous threads but to be honest no Mayo person too young to have a solid memory of 1951 can validly make that argument.

I know you have tried to argue that point on previous threads but to be honest no Mayo person too young to have a solid memory of 1951 can validly make that argument.

Personally, I find the assertion that you have to live an experience yourself to be able to form a reasoned opinion on it to be highly simplistic and quite flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I presume Mayo lost this one as well?......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Personally, I find the assertion that you have to live an experience yourself to be able to form a reasoned opinion on it to be highly simplistic and quite flawed.

TBH your statement didn't and still doesn't stand up.
    Arguing that observation is a match for taking part is very foolish.

You simply have no basis to make and informed opinion, watching Galway supporters is not the same as sharing the experience.

Again your logic is similar to a man, having never met a woman claiming to know what one feels like because he saw a picture of one and listened to his friends talking about the experience.

Does it not ?

Can you explain why you think it does not bother them ?

If it did not bother them I doubt they would be coming back year after year after year.

One example ,Andy Moran said no I won’t be retiring too much out of the gaa now,no mention of one last go for Sam. Thought it strange.

One example ,Andy Moran said no I won’t be retiring too much out of the gaa now,no mention of one last go for Sam. Thought it strange.

Pardon my ignorance but what are you saying?, it makes no sense.

Try re-phrasing it

What did he say ?

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH your statement didn't and still doesn't stand up.
    Arguing that observation is a match for taking part is very foolish.

You simply have no basis to make and informed opinion, watching Galway supporters is not the same as sharing the experience.

Again your logic is similar to a man, having never met a woman claiming to know what one feels like because he saw a picture of one and listened to his friends talking about the experience.

It does stand up to be honest, and it stands up in all walks of life. You see something happen every year, you are up close and personal with it more often than most. It is simply an observation made over time with experience.

Your comparison isn't really accurate as it is far more extreme and not really a good fit.
    For example, do you think a doctor, that has never had the flu, is therefore incapable of saying how bad a case of flu is when someone comes into his surgery? Of course he can.
    Other people can and have observe family members having children and from those learnings over time can make the decision that it isn't for them, or that they in fact want several kids. To suggest you have to actually do something before you can learn anything about it is nonsense in any other walk of life, other than where people want a stick to beat you with over winning something. But that is just a poor reflection on them really

• Advertisement

Pardon my ignorance but what are you saying?, it makes no sense.

Try re-phrasing it

What did he say ?

None so blind as those who do not wish to see (Shakespeare 1852)

Ironic quoting Shakespeare when ones own writing cannot be understood.

Andy Moran said no I won’t be retiring
    That much is fine

But what is too much out of the gaa now supposed to mean ?

As for no mention of one last go for Sam, this winter how many Dublin players have you heard talking about going for four in a row ?

Ironic quoting Shakespeare when ones own writing cannot be understood.

Andy Moran said no I won’t be retiring
    That much is fine

But what is too much out of the gaa now supposed to mean ?

As for no mention of one last go for Sam, this winter how many Dublin players have you heard talking about going for four in a row ?

Too much out of the gaa now—————= a lot to be gained from playin with mayo (ie id be very foolish to give it up.)
    Hope that clears it up for you,if not I’ll try again

Too much out of the gaa now—————= a lot to be gained from playin with mayo (ie id be very foolish to give it up.)

So your opinion that the players are not bother about losing All Ireland's is based on your opinion that Andy Moran has a lot to gain (financially I assume you mean) by continuing to play and because he has yet to say anything about one more crack at winning the All Ireland.

Thanks for that but I'll stick to basing my options on their attitude on what I have seen since 2011, i.e a team that keeps coming back and coming back and coming back, even though they end up losing by a point to the best team in decades in 3 of the last 5 finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

In fairness, Mayo and the GAA in general has got a lot out of Moran.
    I don't think Moran means any financial incentives and it is more about the excitement and joy to play for Mayo and in particular at the latter end of the championship. Mayo are still a serious outfit and Moran sees it this way and as such wants to wait playing for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes we got beaten resoundly in this one, Gooch seemed unstoppable on the day. I could see him coming from the half way line and just knew he was going to score a goal.

The worst bit for me that day was not on the field, but seeing the so called fans leaving early in droves. I stayed supporting my team till they left the pitch after the cup presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Pretty Sure it's 1546 and John Heywood, based on a Bible quote if I'm not mistaken. In 1852, Shakespeare would have been almost 300 years old.

Captain Pedantic Strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Oldtree wrote: »
    Yes we got beaten resoundly in this one, Gooch seemed unstoppable on the day. I could see him coming from the half way line and just knew he was going to score a goal.

The worst bit for me that day was not on the field, but seeing the so called fans leaving early in droves. I stayed supporting my team till they left the pitch after the cup presentation.

I was at that game and it was hard to watch. I really felt that is it for me, I am sick of this BS. I just felt some of the players just didn't care and I am a bigger mug for been here. I know its harsh to say that but that's what I felt after that game.
    It does take time to get over hard defeats. I thought they had learned from 2004 and the semi but it was not to be. I look back now and it was because we had some players in the team who were out of their depth. We did well to get to the final but everything gets highlighted on All Ireland day and we really did pay for it.

We are a million miles away from 2006 now and long may it last.

Jaden wrote: »
    Pretty Sure it's 1546 and John Heywood, based on a Bible quote if I'm not mistaken. In 1852, Shakespeare would have been almost 300 years old.

Captain Pedantic Strikes again!

Nothing gets past you!!!

Advertisement