Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

All Ireland Final 2006 Mayo V Kerry !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

What the Hell is wrong with the players. Now people are going on about "oh how proud they are ... blah blah". I don't see it this way. I think they embarrised themselves and the supporters. Do they feel, it is not reasonable to ask for some basic skill/duties to be implemented, like making options for the man in possession, marking tight, competing for the ball. They must stand up and be counted. Four finals in ten years is a good achievement, but only in one final 96, did they compete and have a will to win.

On sunday, players did not mark tight enough, no support play, no believe that they could win. This made kerry look good and they are beatable. Does anyone on here think if Tyrone were there, that would happen. In my opinion, Tyrone are the best around. They take no prisioners and I admire them greatly. No bull**** with them.

So now all the players go away for a break. I feel a new focus is need. I think a good few guys should retire Nallen, Heaney, McDonald(and man he is class in his day) and a few should be dropped till they beef up. Get some new young player that don't have this losing streak. I would hope they would look to each other and play better as a unit. Younger players are looking to the older players for leadership and these players simply cannot supply this.

There is no excuse for this display, if there is, it is a cop-out. I honestly feel if I trained for a year, I would have defended and competed better than some guys out there last sunday - That is something to say.

This sums it all up for me - "Audioslave Wide Away"

Come pull the sheet over my eyes
    So I can sleep tonight
    Despite what I've seen today
    I find you guilty of a crime of sleeping at a time
    When you should have been wide awake
    Wide awake! Wide awake! Wide awake! Wide awake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Think you are being harsh on Mc Donald there Ath An Ri, Mayo would not have got near the final without him this year. Sometimes you need more then your 2 or 3 big names to play well. Mac Donald has been outstanding htis year, and has turned from a player I thought had ability but no heart a few seasons ago into the driving force behind Mayo.

I think Mayo were a bit too carried away by the Dublin result. Because they came back from a 7 point deficit they felt they could pull back any lead. They did not however take note of how many goal chances Dublin and Laois created against them. You might get away with these against Dublin and Laois, but Kerry have the most clinical forwards in the country, and Mayo really should have worked hard on that aspect of their game. Also I think they should have tested several different options for marking Donaghy and been able to adjust their tactics during the game quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Waylander wrote:
    Think you are being harsh on Mc Donald there Ath An Ri, Mayo would not have got near the final without him this year. Sometimes you need more then your 2 or 3 big names to play well. Mac Donald has been outstanding htis year, and has turned from a player I thought had ability but no heart a few seasons ago into the driving force behind Mayo.

I think Mayo were a bit too carried away by the Dublin result. Because they came back from a 7 point deficit they felt they could pull back any lead. They did not however take note of how many goal chances Dublin and Laois created against them. You might get away with these against Dublin and Laois, but Kerry have the most clinical forwards in the country, and Mayo really should have worked hard on that aspect of their game. Also I think they should have tested several different options for marking Donaghy and been able to adjust their tactics during the game quickly.

I never said he wasn't a good player. Just said he was a bottler. I think in order to be remembered as a Great player you need to have produced on All Ireland Final day. Doesn't necessisarily mean your team has to win to do that. I agree it takes more than one player to win an All Ireland final, but Macdonald has the ablity to bring other players into the game, Unfortunately for Mayo he has failed to deliver thus far on the All Ireland Final Stage. Unfortunately for him they have no one else to turn to when he fails to produce.

Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Its amusing to see the hype surrounding Mayo's chances before and the assessment of their performance afterwards. People built them up too much and now take shots at them when they lose as if some of the people on this thread would have done any better against Kerry.

Anyways, now is not the time to kick them when they are down. If you are a Mayo supporter and want to say how bad Mayo were then maybe you should stop following Mayo matches in future cause Mayo football can do without fans like that.

You either support your county win, lose or draw, or you don't at all. And now is the time to pick out the positives for the future and from this year's championship.

I'm not one for hype or jumping on bandwagons. Mayo needs people to congratulate the team now more than ever on its efforts and indeed the joy it has brought many Mayo fans throughout the year.

So we lost, big deal. Better to lose fairly then win unfairly which is what I saw happen on Sunday. The Kerry victory was somewhat tainted by the pulling and dragging which Kerry has become renouned for over the last few years and especially under Jack O'Connor. Nobody can dispute that it wasn't a feature of the match yesterday and Kerry's play in general as seen in the semi against Cork. So a tainted victory is my assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

gbh wrote:
    So a tainted victory is my assessment.

Well, if that's your unbiased and expert opinion.

Seems like very few others agree with you. Mayo were destroyed by devastating attacking play. In the first mins. Your revisionist opinion notwithstanding, most others would say it was a well played victory against a shell shocked opponent.

Mayo will be back. You don't fluke your way to the final and Mayo have proved over the last few years that they have the ability. The win over Dublin proved they had definitely put some ghosts to rest. But the wheels fell off on Sunday.

• Advertisement

gbh wrote:
    Its amusing to see the hype surrounding Mayo's chances before and the assessment of their performance afterwards. People built them up too much and now take shots at them when they lose as if some of the people on this thread would have done any better against Kerry.

Anyways, now is not the time to kick them when they are down. If you are a Mayo supporter and want to say how bad Mayo were then maybe you should stop following Mayo matches in future cause Mayo football can do without fans like that.

You either support your county win, lose or draw, or you don't at all. And now is the time to pick out the positives for the future and from this year's championship.

I'm not one for hype or jumping on bandwagons. Mayo needs people to congratulate the team now more than ever on its efforts and indeed the joy it has brought many Mayo fans throughout the year.

So we lost, big deal. Better to lose fairly then win unfairly which is what I saw happen on Sunday. The Kerry victory was somewhat tainted by the pulling and dragging which Kerry has become renouned for over the last few years and especially under Jack O'Connor. Nobody can dispute that it wasn't a feature of the match yesterday and Kerry's play in general as seen in the semi against Cork. So a tainted victory is my assessment.

This post is bollox. You have to be critical to let guys hear whats going on. This is so typical of Mayo bollox. If guys played ****, they need to hear that. Kerry won because they took no ****, they wanted it more and they played football with some basic skills e.g marking up, competing for the ball.

I would have gladly watched Mayo get down and dirty, just to win. Thats what all the good teams do. Mayo need to face up to this!!

Also to say its no "big deal" we didn't win. Do you think for one instance that any person that travelled all the way from Mayo to watch this bull**** thinks that way. They paid good money to get a ticket, travel to the match. All Mayo fans deserve better and if I was one of the players, I would feel shame!!

These are grown men, not fecking kids. Fool me once, shame on you!! fool me twice, shame on me!!!

gbh wrote:

I think a lot of the people that were hoping Mayo would win were not necesarily from Mayo. However with bitter outbursts like this you are going a long way towards making sure that doesn't happen again.

Mayo blew it plain and Simple. I didn't notice any decesions or tactics that were unfair. The only person that thinks that is you. In fact I would go as far as to say that a couple of Mayo men could have seen the Line for Stamping and the likes

Most people are just giving there analysis on the Game. I'm sure a lot of the actual Mayo supporters wasted a lot of Money this weekend, they are entitled to feel a little agrieved.

Sour Grapes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GBH-One line-

Dublin were doing a fair bit of "Pulling and Dragging" and worse, but we somehow managed to beat them.

If there was any pulling on dragging going on on Sunday it was Mayo who were at it-and as I mentioned above I was a bit disgusted by the amount of "afters" when the game was well and truely lost.
    I did not build up Mayo at all before the match, quite the opposite in fact however, a team to lose by 13 points deserves harsh criticism. Fair play to the lads for training all year and all that, but they do deserve to be criticised.
    Very few people on that Mayo team gave a good account of themselves and I reckon they would criticise their own performance. They completely came apart right from the first whistle. The alleged Mayo "stars" did not perform, and in my opinion should not be given the amount of praise that has been lavished on them until they actually win Sam.
    I'll follow Mayo football at all times, but as a supporter I have a right to criticise the team when they dont play to their fullest.
    With the help of God we will be back in Croker this time next year-but lets hope the team put up a better fight, even if they may eventually lose.
    And I do believe there are a hell of a lot of teams in this country who would have given Kerry a better battle than Mayo did on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

gbh wrote:

You should have stopped just here. All fair enough comment!
    gbh wrote:

What planet or drugs are you on?

We were beat inside 10 minutes (again). Kerry were clinical, killer instinct. Went straight for Mayo's well documented weakness.

In fairness to Mayo management ...you have this conundrum. Brady was required in Midfield and Full Back.

We needed to win midfield to have any chance...full stop.

I love what Donaghy has brought to the game of Gaelic Football this year, it's the perfect antidote for the swarm defence that had me moaning 'Football has gone to the dogs' in mid season.
    He's a breath of fresh air.

Take your medicine like a man, we were beat off the pitch by a more tactically astute team. They deserved everything, they won everything, they were more hungry.

Tough Medicine ... It'll either make you better, or it will kill you.
    We'll be back.

As for all the cheap shots at Mayo, just rise above it. Just like life, you learn to see who's opinions are of any value.... and who's opinion are just stirring it... the bar stool experts and politicians of the virtual world of 'boards'.

AthAnRi wrote:
    Well Done to Kerry, As a Galway Man and having a load of Mates from Mayo I was Hoping they would do it.

Just want to Clarify I was Hoping Mayo would do it not Kerry the Cute hoooors :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see Higgin's sly stamp on the Gough
    as he was lying defenceless on the ground. Every supporter
    outside of Kerry were willing Mayo to do well on Sunday but Kerry
    blew them away fair and square and hats off to them.

Special complements to the Ross and Kerry minors for a tremendously
    exciting game as well. I wonder will that game be on TnG on
    Saturday as it'll be unmissable ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

AthAnRi wrote:
    Also MacDonald is a Bottler, it's about the 4th All Ireland(Excluding Club) he's been ****e in. He had a load of chances in the Second half that he drilled wide. Too worried about his hair that lad.

Sorry? He carried us in 2004. He was very good in that game in 2004 aswell, kicking over a few from 45m out. He just had a bad day. It's not usual for him but did he ever stop looking for the ball? No. I'd rather see someone looking for everything than hiding behind their man.

And for **** sake, just because he's blonde apparently he's a "woman", "flash git" etc. So shut your ****ing mouth because you really know nothing about him.
    There is no excuse for this display, if there is, it is a cop-out. I honestly feel if I trained for a year, I would have defended and competed better than some guys out there last sunday - That is something to say.

I'm sure they know they embarrassed themselves. Yeah so they embarrassed us too. But we're supporters. Sometimes people forget the meaning of the word. To get behind the lads and urge them on. Professionals get less stick from supporters when they underachieve.
    This post is bollox. You have to be critical to let guys hear whats going on. This is so typical of Mayo bollox. If guys played ****, they need to hear that. Kerry won because they took no ****, they wanted it more and they played football with some basic skills e.g marking up, competing for the ball.

Yes I love being told I've played ****e over and over again when in my head I know I've played crap. We just weren't/aren't good enough. We don't have the players or the strength to match Kerry in full flight. It's something we've got to work towards.

We need to start from the beginning like I've said before. Even if it means years in the dark ages before realistically challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Still sick to my stomach after that. I havent read any reports or watched replays and I doubt I will for the rest of this year. I dont think Mayo were hyped up as was previously suggested. I think this has been the most low-key buildup for us I can remember. There was a quiet confidence that we could win, they were playing in a way that suggested that our previous faults had been overcome.

Devastated with the way it all turned out. Kerry seemed to get to every ball first. They were faster, fitter, Hungrier even. They aslo had a knack of creating space Everywhere on the pitch. They won almost all Kick-outs and used it to great effect. There didnt seem to be a way to stop them. I realised this about the 30min mark when the lad beside asked what Subs were needed: I didnt know what to tell him because were second best in almost all posistions.

There was an element of shirt pulling to Kerrys game, Mortimer in particular was subject to it but it wasnt a Show-stopper. He got F*ck all service for it to make a difference. Ive become a huge fan of Mickey Moran but I agree with an earlier post that we should have been ready for Donnaghey, other options should have been in place and ready on a moments notice. Starting with O Neill was a gamble a lot of people didnt agree with either. Credit to him, he has established himself as our greatest Impact sub and might have given the side a lift when brought on during the game.

I wouldnt point to any one cause for this loss, we simply got Twatted by a far Superior team. And seems to be the hardest thing to take.
    (On the plus side, the Kerry lass in front of me had a fantatsic backside. God knows I saw enough of it, she stood for every score they got.)

David Brady has retired again and this time it will be for good. I expect James Nallen to follow suit. Kieran Macdonnell will retire but he might return. Otherwise Galway will walk out of Connaught next year.

The woman from Knockmore sitting next to me was an angel. She kept reassuring me we would come back and someday we will do it. I didnt know what she was basing that on. Its a cruel game all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

McDonald played well in 04 amd OK in 97 and really well in the 2 club AI finals he didn't play well in on Sunday I agree but he still showed and as always is shipping more slack than he deserves. Dillon, McGarrity and Heaney should get the same level of stick.
    The players where embarrased they know they played sh1te why do who think they cancelled the home coming. Okay ya can give out about them but it's not going to win an All Ireland for use. I hope we find two more backs the rest should bulk up a bit. Heaney should be moved out of full back. Nallen and DB will retire I hope Mac and ONeill stay as supersubs for anyother year. Ger brady should be dropped Dillon into centre forward and Billy Joe and Killer out on the wings. The two Morts and A OMalley in the inside forwards.

I still think that Kerry are just a bogey team for Mayo I think either of the two Northern teams would be easier for Mayo more suited to there style of play.
    Still doesn't explain the final hoodoo in their head. I'd love to play Galway in a final then they wouldn't have a final in there head it would be a derby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sorry? He carried us in 2004. He was very good in that game in 2004 aswell, kicking over a few from 45m out. He just had a bad day. It's not usual for him but did he ever stop looking for the ball? No. I'd rather see someone looking for everything than hiding behind their man.

And for **** sake, just because he's blonde apparently he's a "woman", "flash git" etc. So shut your ****ing mouth because you really know nothing about him.

I'm sure they know they embarrassed themselves. Yeah so they embarrassed us too. But we're supporters. Sometimes people forget the meaning of the word. To get behind the lads and urge them on. Professionals get less stick from supporters when they underachieve.

Yes I love being told I've played ****e over and over again when in my head I know I've played crap. We just weren't/aren't good enough. We don't have the players or the strength to match Kerry in full flight. It's something we've got to work towards.

We need to start from the beginning like I've said before. Even if it means years in the dark ages before realistically challenging.

Ignore it. There are plenty of Bull****ters out there who love to have a pop at McDonald. Even though he was very off form on Sunday, he was still (sadly) one of the best performers on the team. Kevin O'Neill and Billy Joe Padden and Brady were the only other players who really played any game on Sunday, the rest were simply not at the races.

Touchy. It's my opinion Mate, What gives you the right to tell me to shut up? If you don't like my opinion then try to convince me otherwise. I am more than willing to listen. And regardless of his personality the guy is definately Flash. Flash in GAA circles = get prepared to be slagged

I thought you Mayo boys would be used to losing by now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

AthAnRi wrote:
    Touchy. It's my opinion Mate, What gives you the right to tell me to shut up? If you don't like my opinion then try to convince me otherwise. I am more than willing to listen. And regardless of his personality the guy is definately Flash. Flash in GAA circles = get prepared to be slagged

I thought you Mayo boys would be used to losing by now:eek:

Says the man from the county whose players sold themselves down the drain for a bit of money.

So being blonde and wearing white boots is flash. Christ that's stereotyping for you.

I was at a hospital last week when McDonald arrived in work gear for a few pictures and autographs. He apologised, changed his clothes and made sure everyone was catered for. How many other footballers would go out of their way to fulfil a promise like that on the week before the All-Ireland.

Says the man from the county whose players sold themselves down the drain for a bit of money.

So being blonde and wearing white boots is flash. Christ that's stereotyping for you.

I was at a hospital last week when McDonald arrived in work gear for a few pictures and autographs. He apologised, changed his clothes and made sure everyone was catered for. How many other footballers would go out of their way to fulfil a promise like that on the week before the All-Ireland.

Again I will reiterate. I never said he wasn't a nice Guy. Lighten up mate.

And Yes it is flash. I wear white boot myself at hurling training and I gotta say I feel flash in those. It's a pity I'm crap, get the sh1t slagged out of me too. :p It's all good though.

I think this is rubbish again. We have the players to get to an All ireland final so the quality is there. We have been there 4/10 years, so its not luck. Its is the manner in which they play in the final that pisses the **** outta me. To not compete for the ball, one of the most basic requirements is lacking. Now I am not singling out any player(like other guys and picking McDonald is just totally wrong, just an easy target), its a team thing as a whole but some guys are worse than others.

Well, some players by the management should be brought in (not saying now is the time but maybe October/November) and blatently told you have to beef up, improve your defending, compete and have pride in your jersey. Otherwise while I am manager, you will not be coming back. This stuff has to be laid out to the players, show them examples of what they do good and more importantly show them what they do bad. Players have to be highlighted for bad play otherwise they will not improve and two years or so the same bull**** will happen again and again.

I know the players must be feeling really bad over the whole affair, but what do you expect when you stand back and watch kerry. FFS, these men should have known better and are so niave it is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 attavalla

The money I spent over the weekend (transport, tickets accomodaton e.t.c)gives me the right to an opinion and thus the right to criticise.
    But, I'm not going to criticise, not because I wear a yellow jersey, I'm green and red to the bone. The simple truth is, I don't know where to begin.

Was it the management? they knew Donaghy's potential.
    Was it the backs? there was no effective man-marking.
    Was it mid-field? they were well off the pace all day. Or
    Was it the forwards? where movement was non-existent.

What I do know is that Kerry played some great football at times, and even after we had miraculously got ourselves back to within six points by half-time, it was always going to be a struggle. Instead we imploded and if confusion was the general feeling during the break, it was replaced by disgust and pain at the final whistle. Embarassment and disappointment didn't even get a look-in and in fairness the Kerry fans didn't rub it in nor gloat.
    I've suffered the losses before, the whipping from Cork, the replay with Meath and the last two flops with Kerry. But this is the hardest pill to swallow.

All the rubbish
    (...about being back.....happy family....keep the faith....next year.... bad luck)
    sounds very hollow at the moment.

31 counties were shouting for us last sunday, proud and honorable people from counties like Louth, Leitrim, Fermanagh, Antrim, Clare. People who might never get to feel the buzz and athmosphere that is Croke Park on All Ireland Football final day.
    The warm pint in a plastic glass on Dorset Street, the walk down Clonliffe Road
    with your head held high, surrounded by good people, your people, friends, family, the craic is ninety. All wanting one thing, the waving, the shouting, the banter, the green and red headband, this is it, I've got me ticket
    I've believed the hype, I've read the reviews, The local radio keeps playing our songs. All the national school kids in Ballina reckon we'll win by 4 or 5 and Mac will get a hat-trick.
    I'm gonna shout, roar, f··kin die for the cause. A Seven Nation army won't hold me back from running onto Croker when we win. This is my moment............

Last sunday hurt. It's gonna take time

• Advertisement

attavalla wrote:
    The money I spent over the weekend (transport, tickets accomodaton e.t.c)gives me the right to an opinion and thus the right to criticise.
    But, I'm not going to criticise, not because I wear a yellow jersey, I'm green and red to the bone. The simple truth is, I don't know where to begin.

Well said. But it's also worth noting that it wasn't money totally wasted. The beauty of All Ireland final day is the Saturday Night banter with the opposition. Kerry and Cork are good oponents for that. Well up for the craic and can also talk sensibly about football/hurling when needs be.

As I've said before I was at the Hurling Final last year, It was a disappointing result but it was a great ocassion. Even after the Game myself and my mates stayed in Dublin and had a ball. It took guts to do it considering the place was crawling with rebels but they all appreciated (slagged the sh1t out of us mind) it especially a few of the Cork Ladies ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I would have gladly watched Mayo get down and dirty, just to win. Thats what all the good teams do. Mayo need to face up to this!!

Also to say its no "big deal" we didn't win. Do you think for one instance that any person that travelled all the way from Mayo to watch this bull**** thinks that way. They paid good money to get a ticket, travel to the match. All Mayo fans deserve better and if I was one of the players, I would feel shame!!

These are grown men, not fecking kids. Fool me once, shame on you!! fool me twice, shame on me!!!

I didn't travel to the match because unlike a lot of Mayo people who were sure that this was the year again, I had a feeling, that yes, just maybe there was a chance of Kerry winning, in fact I was quite certain that Kerry would win.

As for those who write off Mayo football and there performances in finals, well Mayo teams have won three all-irelands in the last few years - Two club AI's and an under-21. I should mention our Ladies team as well, the best in the country. So forget about saying Mayo teams can't win in finals. Mayo teams, club and inter-county combined have been the most consistant over last ten years, getting to four club AI finals, winning two, and four intercounty finals. But they don't have that extra element to win in finals - and finals tend to be completely different to other matches - all these things such as mental toughness, focus, experience, cynicism, tend to be more an element of finals as the stakes are always higher. Anyways, I for one can live without winning the inter-county AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

gbh wrote:
    So we lost, big deal.

Its the manner of how Mayo lost that is rightly coming in for criticism. Having flopped on three previous occasions,this comment shows that a cohort of Mayo fans are not living in the real world. The sad fact is that on last Sunday's display not one Mayo player would make the Kerry bench. This happens everytime Mayo make it to an all-ireland they get completely carried away and quite arrogant in their expectations. I could hear echos of 96 & 97 coming on the media wires from Mayo people in the run up to last Sunday. Pride tempered by modesty is always more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

mickd wrote:
    This happens everytime Mayo make it to an all-ireland they get completely carried away and quite arrogant in their expectations. I could hear echos of 96 & 97 coming on the media wires from Mayo people in the run up to last Sunday. Pride tempered by modesty is always more attractive.

Bolix. That's just a post of pure smugness on your part.

National Media wires maybe ... but Mayo people travelled in the hope they would at last land Sam. They felt they had a chance.

If they carried a bit of confidence after their campaign .... what harm in that?It's a lack of self confidence that's been pointed out is their historical weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I cant get it to post here but Liam Hayes wrote the most disparaging article about a team I think I ever read in the Sunday Tribune. I would agree with most of what he said though although it was very personal about McDonald, Brady and Heaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ignore anything Liam Hayes writes he's an idiot of the highest quality. If he's half the master he thinks he is Carlow would be Leinster champs. Almost every article and prediction he's made this year has turned out wrong/ insulted people. He spends the first half of every article apologising and making excuses about the previous week. It's a pity cos I enjoy the rest of the Trib's sports coverage but he makes my blood boil. There is another thread about him at the moment so I'll stop now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kerrywoman

gbh wrote:
    . The Kerry victory was somewhat tainted by the pulling and dragging which Kerry has become renouned for over the last few years and especially under Jack O'Connor. Nobody can dispute that it wasn't a feature of the match yesterday and Kerry's play in general as seen in the semi against Cork. So a tainted victory is my assessment.
    :mad:

I don't know if you are serious or just trying to wind up the kerry supporters but were u at the match??
    Did you not see Kevin Higgins 2 fouls on the gooch or are u selective or maybe just biased get over it the best team won on the day.

To the real Mayo supporters I would not have begruded ye a win- as a Kerrywoman living in Limerick and supporting Limerick Hurling I can see the hurt on their faces year after year. I hope ye will win one just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As someone pointed out to me a couple pages back those comments were probably a user trolling.

If they weren't, he/she again needs to reflect on these questions:

How many Mayo Players- even prior to the final- would get on the Kerry team?

How many times have Kerry beaten Mayo in the last nine years?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

I have just re-watched this match in full. (It is one of the games featured on the Super Cooper DVD).

Although I knew that The Kingdom had won this All-Ireland Football Final, I couldn't help but sympathise with all the Mayo supporters present at Croker on the day itself. For those like myself who due to the passage of time (over 11 years) had forgotten most of what took place during this match, I can tell you that Kerry scored 2-4 before Mayo managed to register their first score on the board - a goal by Kevin O'Neill coming after more than 15 minutes of play.

There were 6 goals scored altogether in just the first half of the match - 3 by Kerry, 3 by Mayo. The later two Mayo goals were scored in quick succession and when this happened, it felt that they just may be in with a chance of winning Sam, after having reduced the margin down from 12 to 6 points, with a half-time score of 3-08 to 3-02 in favour of The Kingdom.

During the second half, the eventual victors - Kerry - added an additional 1-7 to their tally, while Mayo were only able to add on 3 points (all frees taken by C. Mortimer) ) to their total. Also, it took the men in Red & Green even longer to register a 2nd half score - a point after 18 minutes of play.

Kerry's Donaghey, Cooper & Declan O'Sullivan dominated this sadly one-sided All Ireland Final on a score of 4-15 to 3-05.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A few threads back I made the point that as a Mayo fan losing the latest All Ireland does not effect me as much as earlier ones did, in recent years there has been very much a sense of journey in it all.

The 2006 final loss is a good example of this.

They came into the final on the back of a big comeback win v Dublin n the SF and a final hammering in 2004 against Kerry. People expected them to be competitive, to have learned something.
    But the opposite was the case, they were s$$t.
    It was utterly depressing.

What has happened in the past number of years has been the opposite of 2004 and 2006.

They have gone to All Ireland finals and lost them (against, primarily Dublin teams that everyone expected to win with something to spare), in the most bizarre of circumstances, own goals, 77th minute heroics to force replays, crazy rushes of blood to the head, missed frees etc etc.

And that's just the finals, semi finals against Dublin and Kerry have been equally gripping.

Using a different username on this form I argued that the 2006 team did not deserve a homecoming after that loss, I'd never argue the same about this team.

Advertisement