Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Final 2006 Mayo V Kerry !!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Its tense here today. I hope they can put the events of the last ten years to bed and bring the sam home after 55 years! *shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Looks like Mayo need a sniper to take out Donaghy. Mayo are 10 points down after 15 minutes. They haven't scored yet! Actually Kevin O'Neill just scored a goal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

*Yawns* this is terrible. 3-6 to 1-1 and not even half an hour gone. losing interest so fast by now and im gonna be forced to watch the soccer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Mayo may as well go home.... a hyped up team if I ever seen one

what the ****s after happening there? 2 goals in as many minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

3-7to 3-2. Crazily going against Kerry now. two goals in two mins for Mayo. class act

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Now its back on, you just gotta keep faith. Only 5 points in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

3-8 to 3-2! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well that was a turn-around. Still time though

CIARRAÍ ABÚ

brutal first half performance. still nice touch with three goals in a short space. Still i feel the sam is going south again. :mad: :(

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    2 goals in as many minutes

Sure we did it earlier, short memories eh!

Gwan the Kingdom

440Hz wrote:
    Sure we did it earlier, short memories eh!

Gwan the Kingdom

In fairness I wasnt really shocked by Kerry scoring 2 goals in as many minutes, with Donaghy inside every ball that goes in is a potential goal. Mayo who have only woke up in the last 10 mins score 2 and to me thats shocking. Shocking that Kerry let them back in so easy. The quicker Kerry send this awful Mayo team home the better....

stepbar wrote:
    In fairness I wasnt really shocked by Kerry scoring 2 goals in as many minutes, with Donaghy inside every ball that goes in is a potential goal. Mayo who have only woke up in the last 10 mins score 2 and to me thats shocking. Shocking that Kerry let them back in so easy. The quicker Kerry send this awful Mayo team home the better....

Amen to that.. if it happens. Unless kerry go mad... Brosnan is on now.. and off we go again :) fingers crossed

440Hz wrote:
    Amen to that.. if it happens. Unless kerry go mad... Brosnan is on now.. and off we go again :) fingers crossed

Although Im a connaght man, As you can prob tell I have no great love for Maaaaaaayo.... that not to say I love Kerry any more but I know good football when I see it.

Jaysus that was some elbow for the Gouch! Bit harsh. And Higgins got away with it :-o

OMG McDonald what a tool :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell how this Mayo team bet Dublin? 1 point so far in the half, what an embarrassment :rolleyes:

Haha omg! thats hilarious! :D

Never again will i support this team! :rolleyes:

WOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Great win. Sympathies to the West. Gwan the Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Mikosyko wrote:
    Haha omg! thats hilarious! :D

Never again will i support this team! :rolleyes:

A true fan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

cashback wrote:
    A true fan...
    When I turned to the Mayo girl sitting in the seat beside me high in Hogan Stand after the final whistle, I tried to commiserate with her by saying 'hard luck, sure ye'll be back again in a year or two', she replied with 'I'm never coming back here again' with some conviction! With ten minutes left the Mayo people started to leave - nowhere near as bad as in 2004 though, people were leaving at half-time then! Very poor match, great result for the Kingdom though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Congratulations to Kerry on the most cynical display in an All-Ireland final, in fact in any game anywhere. This wasn't a game of football, this was a game of Kerry dragging, pulling, pushing, elbowing, tripping.

When Mayo were allowed to play (when Kerry faded towards the end of the first half) they showed they were a far superior team to Kerry. But Jack O'Connor got them in the dressing room and told them to start the pulling and dragging again in the second half so well done Jack for your contribution to spoiling what might otherwise have been a fair game of football.

GAA doesn't need these kinds of tacticians who go out and spoil their opponents with pulling and dragging and the fans don't deserve to be treated to this.

Obviously Kerry decided that if you let Mayo play football they might win as they did against Dublin but if you pull on their jersey, obstruct them, and generally use all means to stop them making progress, then there is a chance you will win.

A sad day for football and for the genuine football fan, but well done to Mayo for their efforts against cynical tactics. Hopefully some effort will be made to stamp out the kind of things Kerry routinely got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

Are you from Mayo by chance? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

gbh wrote:
    Congratulations to Kerry on the most cynical display in an All-Ireland final, in fact in any game anywhere. This wasn't a game of football, this was a game of Kerry dragging, pulling, pushing, elbowing, tripping.

When Mayo were allowed to play (when Kerry faded towards the end of the first half) they showed they were a far superior team to Kerry. But Jack O'Connor got them in the dressing room and told them to start the pulling and dragging again in the second half so well done Jack for your contribution to spoiling what might otherwise have been a fair game of football.

GAA doesn't need these kinds of tacticians who go out and spoil their opponents with pulling and dragging and the fans don't deserve to be treated to this.

Obviously Kerry decided that if you let Mayo play football they might win as they did against Dublin but if you pull on their jersey, obstruct them, and generally use all means to stop them making progress, then there is a chance you will win.

A sad day for football and for the genuine football fan, but well done to Mayo for their efforts against cynical tactics. Hopefully some effort will be made to stamp out the kind of things Kerry routinely got away with.

:rolleyes:

Sure it was Kerry...and Mayo were completely blameless.

Sour grapes and all that etc etc.

Congrats Kerry on a clinical footballing display.

Seems Mayo played their final against Dublin. For shame. Too many players didn't turn up.

gbh wrote:

Aaagh now I see thats what happened :rolleyes: I suppose Mayo would never be guilty of this sort of play either..... an embarrassing day for Connaght football. If you thought 2004 was bad, well this time you got truely bet out the gate. The only good out of the whole day was the performance of the Roscommon footballers, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

kaimera wrote:
    Seems Mayo played their final against Dublin.

Agreed - Mayo seem to have some sort of inferiority complex (or the likes) when they see the Kingdom jersy in the chamionship. They believed that seeing as they could beat the dubs then they, automatically, could beat the Kingdom - strange, but probably not far away from the truth.

This beating will, IMO, send Mayo into the "dark" for a few years. What I mean is that this is the second hammering they have recieved in an All-Ireland final in 3 years. Added to that the fairly comprehensive beating from the same opposition in last year's quarter-final, all of these "chain of events" will have a negative impact on Mayo.

After the year looking so promising for them earlier in the week (i.e Their U-21's winning the All-Ireland, winning back the Senior Connacht title and finally beating Dublin in their back yard) this bad defeat will undermine all that, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Feck sake, Kerry were by far the superior team and hammered us fair and square.
    None of the alleged Mayo Superstars stood up. McDonald and Mortimer were very very poor. They two guys get a lot of press coverage but seem to have little substance on the biggest of stages. Kerry beat us all over the field and I as someone has mentioned above, I dont think Mayo have become a 13 point worse team that Kerry since the Dublin match. A lot of this has to be in the head and perhaps they had already lost the match before the ref blue the first whistle. This Kerry team are pretty awesome though with players who will stand up and be counted when needs be.
    I am bitterly bitterly dissapointed but no sour grapes, a great footballing county who play great football won the match, if anything I was a bit annoyed that some of the Mayo team got very physical with the Kerry guys towards the end, when the match was well lost.
    Lets hope Mayo can bounce back but lets hope the next final we get into wont be against Kerry.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

gbh wrote:

That's a fairly ridiculous view imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Thats the bad thing when the minnows/underdogs (as THEY like to call THEMSELVES) upset the bigger team..

Westmeath ruined what could have been a great quarter-final

Mayo ruined what could have been a great final, and they showed their performance v the Dubs was freakish. The way the played v Kerry was typical of most of their other games.

Maybe Mayo need tens of thousands of mad Dubs to get them going????

That was one of the most embarrassing All Ireland final displays in many a year. Feel sorry for some of the fans and some of the players.

Kerry were excellent. Hopefully they'll take 2007 off... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

gbh wrote:

...As he sips his lemon juice.

That game was far from dirty - a bit of argy bargy at times but nothing serious. The first half was la la land stuff. Every time a player ran at the goal you were expecting to see it hit the back of the net!

Crazy stuff.

Advertisement