Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

All Ireland Final 2006 Mayo V Kerry !!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The reason i'm afraid of Donaghy is not because of how good Donaghy is as i don't think he's a great footballer - not yet anyway - he's just taken everybody by suprise in his frist season it often happens. My worry is our full back line there not very big or strong in the air, OK Heaney is but he is not a natural full back and will give a couple of points at least to a decent full forward. The form of Gooch and Mike Frank's inconsisenty mean we should be able to handle them on the ground but they may be able to feed of Donaghy so for Mayo to win we have to stop Donaghy.

Two ways of doing this 1) Heaney win 90% of ball Donaghy - i don't think he can do that - he's a great player but can get caught out defensively 2) Win most of the ball in midfield and stop the ball going in. I think we can do this as Cork did it for a while in the first half until Nicholas Murphy got belted out of it by Dara o Se. We've got a better pair of midfielders than Cork have so it can be managed.

So whats the verdict on Kevin O Neill starting?
    I think it's a good thing you should always start with your best fifteen and he's been on fire so far this year. He should be a couple of weeks fitter but probably still isn't able to play the full 70. I think him starting also means that TMort is fit for 20-25 mins as Moran probably wants somebody with experience to come on. If TMort does come on he'll be fired up like some class of a lunatic as he really wants the All-Ireland and has been warming the bench for most of the year due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

kevmy wrote:
    So whats the verdict on Kevin O Neill starting?
    I think it's a good thing you should always start with your best fifteen and he's been on fire so far this year. He should be a couple of weeks fitter but probably still isn't able to play the full 70. I think him starting also means that TMort is fit for 20-25 mins as Moran probably wants somebody with experience to come on. If TMort does come on he'll be fired up like some class of a lunatic as he really wants the All-Ireland and has been warming the bench for most of the year due to injury.

I think Conroy had to be dropped, no time to have an out of form player on the team.

He might come on if we need a goal (he scored against Kerry in Final 2004). O'Neill was brilliant against Dublin and deserves his start.

The bench is strong. Billy Joe Padden my own concern, he needs to find his form.

Would help if Kerry have an off day as well:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have to agree Kev, I think he is good to start, but I see Kilcoyne again making a big impact substitution along with Brady.

I am off tomorrow to begin my warm up and try in some hope to get a ticket.
    Time will tell if I do but it looks bad. First time I will be at Croke Park and not have a ticket, but if my Dad gets one I will be happy.

So enjoy the match lads and may Mayo win!!!

Maigheo Abú

yop wrote:
    Have to agree Kev, I think he is good to start, but I see Kilcoyne again making a big impact substitution along with Brady.

I am off tomorrow to begin my warm up and try in some hope to get a ticket.
    Time will tell if I do but it looks bad. First time I will be at Croke Park and not have a ticket, but if my Dad gets one I will be happy.

So enjoy the match lads and may Mayo win!!!

Maigheo Abú

Same at that, heading up without a ticket, first priority is a ticket for 'my old man'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TallGirl

Any idea where to get those flag things for the car in Dublin ....... Mayo of course?!?!
    Maigheo Abu

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, I reckon 1/2 of Mayo will be in the Big Tree!!
    Where else is good to watch the matches?
    Quinns, McGraths, Fagans, Big Tree, where else?

Does anyone know if there is still parking available in St Pats?? I has been a few years since I planned to drive all the way in but is this place still an option, if not where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

McDonald got a knock in training, dont think its too bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Dilly1 wrote:
    McDonald got a knock in training, dont think its too bad though

Rumours goin around that he could be in bother with his hamstring. I really really hope it's not true. It'd be a huge blow if it was true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

It was on the Last Word earlier that Mac had to go to Dublin yesterday evening for emergency treatment, Mickey Moran said it was a bulls**t story - might also be mind games emanating from the Mayo camp.

Enda Kenny was also on and he mentioned his dig to Bertie about Mayomen standing up for thermselves in front of Hill 16 - seeing as how Pat Rabitte is also a Mayoman, I would think the next potential Taoiseach and Tanaiste will be hoping for a win on Sunday as a good omen for next May.

Here's hoping for an end to the drought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭irishgeo

starman100 wrote:
    It was on the Last Word earlier that Mac had to go to Dublin yesterday evening for emergency treatment, Mickey Moran said it was a bulls**t story - might also be mind games emanating from the Mayo camp.

Enda Kenny was also on and he mentioned his dig to Bertie about Mayomen standing up for thermselves in front of Hill 16 - seeing as how Pat Rabitte is also a Mayoman, I would think the next potential Taoiseach and Tanaiste will be hoping for a win on Sunday as a good omen for next May.

Here's hoping for an end to the drought.

gone for the draw at 10/1

it pay for me ticket for the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Ciaran Mc is alright. It was a back spasm. He's ok for Sunday.

Ciaran Mc is alright. It was a back spasm. He's ok for Sunday.

I know a man that was training with him last night .... not a problem.

Tickets..... they're a problem !

Culchie wrote:
    I know a man that was training with him last night .... not a problem.

Thank God for that

Lads I don't want to be a pessimistic old fart but I've just had a very interesting (and worrying) chat with a mate. He was with Sean Feeneys (County Sec) son last night who said that the Co. board are playing it down but that McDonald is a serious doubt for Sunday.

I'm praying it's not true but I'm also wondering if it's a case of mind games? My fear if it's true is that it'll affect morale not alone in the dressing room but in the fans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Anyone know what time KO is? The gaa website just has the date with no time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

TRADITION

You say tradition counts for naught when two teams take the field,
    I fear you are mistaken, lad, but the years will make you yield,
    And when your hair's as grey as mine, and time has made you old,
    Then you'll invoke the truth I spoke of the Kingdom's green and gold.

You cannot box or bottle it, nor grasp it in your hand,
    But pride of race and love of place inspire a love of land
    Time honoured is our birthright, we'll never break the mould,
    It's deep within the soul of us, who wear the green and gold.

Grey lakes and mountains soaring high, Mount Brandon's holy hill,
    The little church at Gallerus, our language living still,
    The Skellig Rock, stout football stock, they can't be bought or sold,
    For our county's fame, we play the game in the Kingdom's green and gold.

And when the battle's fiercest and the fortunes ebb and flow,
    We're still alive, we can survive, we never will let go,
    For the spirit of our fathers and of stories yet untold,
    Will lead us on to victory, in the Kingdom's green and gold.

We savour Kerry victories, we salute a gallant foe
    And when we lose, there's no excuse, we pick up our bags and go,
    So raise your glass each lad and lass to our warriors brave and bold,
    Who again aspire to the Sam Maguire in the Kingdom's green and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Just checked. 15:30 on Sunday.

Have to watch it on Setanta as i'm in the UK at the weekend, Come on the Kingdom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm looking forward to a good final. Kerry are favourites for it this year, and Mayo are taking their perennial mantle of underdogs - well, whats new?!

Being a final of course anything can happen and the difference is not that great anyway even on paper. Mayo have a huge yoke around their necks though, but all barriers can be broken and 'bad runs' can end.

I think from a neutral perspective, as Kerry have now broken their 'problem with Ulster teams', Dublin having nearly made the grade this year, so perhaps it would be good for the sport to see Mayo win it, for once! After all, they have made the final so many times and have failed since 1951 (wasn't it?) and Kerry have too many wins as it is.

But the main thing from a neutral is to see a good sporting occasion and I wish both teams and both sets of fans all the best and have an enjoyable game and day. I hope I will enjoy watching it too. And good luck to Ros in the minors, although I think the GAA should move the minor final to a different day, perhaps the day before, as that tradition has long lived past its sell-by-date.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Got my ticket Wednesday morning in Galway, my Dad had to ask everyone he'd ever got tickets off to secure just one this year - tickets very very scarse in Galway. Also means, as in 1997 and 2004, I'll be sitting with my Kerry cap and scarf in the Galway GAA section, amidst a throng of Mayo-men and women :) The excitement is really mounting now, can't wait for 1.30 for the Minor kick-off. Like many Kerry supporters, I'll be shouting Come on the Kingdom but if Mayo finally do it, not a single one of us will begrudge them and we'll still have smiles on our faces I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

ionapaul wrote:
    Like many Kerry supporters, I'll be shouting Come on the Kingdom but if Mayo finally do it, not a single one of us will begrudge them and we'll still have smiles on our faces I think!

Kerry people are famous for this. An Armagh man once said to me that he could hardly get down to the pitch in 2002 because so many Kerry people wanted to shake his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It will be a cracker I am leaving the kingdom tomorrow morning at 7 and driving to the motorway where my old man will take over as I'm on a Provisional and am prohibited from Driving on the Motorway.

Confidence in the Kingdom is brimming and Radio Kerry is playing football songs all day with talk of the new Bomber Donaghy and everything it is totally rapid I erected a 20 foot flag in the front lawn as everyone is going for massive flags this year, 6 large flags and our area is a cauldron of green and gold. It is spectacular and everyone is hoping to make up for last year.

Ye'll the Kingdom roar when we win all-ireland thirty four!!!!

netwhizkid wrote:
    It will be a cracker I am leaving the kingdom tomorrow morning at 7 and driving to the motorway where my old man will take over as I'm on a Provisional and am prohibited from Driving on the Motorway.

Confidence in the Kingdom is brimming and Radio Kerry is playing football songs all day with talk of the new Bomber Donaghy and everything it is totally rapid I erected a 20 foot flag in the front lawn as everyone is going for massive flags this year, 6 large flags and our area is a cauldron of green and gold. It is spectacular and everyone is hoping to make up for last year.

Ye'll the Kingdom roar when we win all-ireland thirty four!!!!

think all ye have to do is turn up to win it.

irishgeo wrote:
    think all ye have to do is turn up to win it.

I tell you one thing ...Kerry will have to 'turn up' to win it.

Mayo will give this absolutely 110%, if it's not good enough, then fine .... but Kerry will earn their 34th All-Ireland.

If i had to put my whole life on this, at that of my family ......if I was forced into a corner, and had to choose, ... I'd choose Mayo

This is it. This is the moment of truth.

"To Win Just Once"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Just checked. 15:30 on Sunday.

Have to watch it on Setanta as i'm in the UK at the weekend, Come on the Kingdom!!

Living in London. Ive got the four Irish channels an my house in London. So i'll be watching on RTE 2. The house will be full of people from mayo. Looking foward to the party.

Come on Mayo.

mayo backed into 9/4.

There still good value at that. Did anybody get them at 11-1 for the all-ireland before the dublin game?
    I think we've a great chance, the build up has been the best mainly quite only gettin a bit crazy in the last five days. That real restraint for Mayo people. I hope Mac is fit. I'm a bit up in heap myself ... not a sniff of a ticket even though i was at the Dublin, Laois, Galway games and all home league games. We managed to get 3 tickets in 04 (myself, the brother and the auld lad) but so far none of us have one. Hoping at least one will fall into us before tomorow as i hate going up without any ticket.

Oh well heres hoping.

And of course UP MAYO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

At training, they have been playing Barry Moran at full forward on David Heaney to get him ready for Donaghy. Barry got 2-4 off him in a short training match and Heaney had massive problems on him, imagine the problems Donaghy will give him!

Rumours abound that RMcG is being prepared for Plan B, switching him to full back if Heaney is being destroyed!

Come on Mayo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

So the big day is finally here & i've been growing in confidence as we get closer.

I really believe that Mayo are going to put past all ireland disapointments behind us the 3 games in Croker along with Ballina winning the club championship are going to stand us in good stead, (& our new never say die attitude)

unfortunatly no ticket, going to head into town soon - (if any Mayo fans in Galway fancy joining me I will be in Ti Na Og)

C'MONMAYO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Come on Mayo, you can do it lads!

Advertisement