Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave and Bf2, possible to play?

Options
  • 26-07-2006 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Mate got Ripwave (nothing else he can get) and pings around 20 to 276531276351275123 before hes kicked.

Anyone got it and actually played a game of Bf2 ?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The technology is completely unsuited to gaming, pings are crazily erratic, although I'm surprised he got as low a ping as 20. When I had it i used to always use ISDN for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We play Conflict Global Storm and he can play smoothly but does get massive ping spikes, was up with him today and dunno how he can even view websites. Goes from 4kb download to 50.

Upload is mental too pinging google at 900ms :confused: Does it ever just stay at one speed?

So he wont be playing bf2 then :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 IrishNinjaX

whats ripwave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

A Broadband package from Irish Broadband. Its wireless as opposed to the DSL offering by Eircom/BT/Smart etc. or Cable from NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Winters wrote:
    A Broadband package from Irish Broadband. Its wireless as opposed to the DSL offering by Eircom/BT/Smart etc. or Cable from NTL.
    Ah now winters i wouldn't call it "Broadband" hahahaha :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well since my IBB breze died last week I got my brothers Clearwire box, similar to ripoff wave. it works but not very well i get pings of like 50-150 but it judders and jumps a lot, i zoom in and suddenly zoom out and such like. If found the only way I can play is to go commander then I dont need good pings.

That said I did try play Toca race driver with the lads and that works fine but I think car games work better on bad pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

yes ive got it yes ive tried on many ocaasion but , ive got both ripwave and a 2 meg connection now.
    ripwave is faster than a phone connection, prob abit better then isdn, cause it can download bursts of info,
    but as far as ping is concerned, it never settles, u would be jumping from 20ms -2seconds all the time . ive had ripwave for a year now and never got a decent constant ping,
    3 words , give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I used have the wireless chorus connection, it was like ripwave great in bursts but would then slow down, CS and DOD could handle it but any of the battlefield incarnations could never handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Short answer no, ffs even the breeze package struggles with ping spikes.

Advertisement